Author Topic: 2 out of 3 digisparkes get USB error?  (Read 3496 times)

pdc

2 out of 3 digisparkes get USB error?
« on: January 28, 2013, 05:13:42 pm »
Hi,

I received my 3 digisparks today, loaded the driver into winxp, and on one, the device was found and windows appeared happy. On the other 2, windows says a USB device malfunctioned. Looking into other posts, I do have 1 solid led on the left and a blinking one sort of in the middle of the device, so they seem somewhat alive.  I can't remember where my hub is hiding, so in the meantime, any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

digistump

• Administrator
Re: 2 out of 3 digisparkes get USB error?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 07:40:33 pm »
Paul,

Can you look at the section in this post about the USB connector alignment and see if you think that might be the issue:
http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,248.0.html

Or put another way, does it seem like on the two that are having issues that the USB connection end is offset a bit to one side compared to the one that is working?

I'd also try a USB extension cable, different port, and/or hub - as the contacts might just be slightly off center.

It is possible they are defective but two seem unlikely given the current defect rate is about 0.02%

Let me know if any of that helps,
Thanks,
Erik

pdc

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54:58 pm »
Erik,

I checked them against each other. Slight, slight difference in width. Went and bought a usb hub at staples, and now they are all recognized. Guessing that my usb port is pickey. So all is well and now I have a USB hub shaped like a dog with each leg a USB port:) Cheapest one they had.

Thanks,

Paul

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:04:16 pm »
Paul

Glad you got it to work, sorry you had to buy a hub but at least it was a cool one. I noticed the cheapest ones on ebay right now look like dead fish - I think a dog one is much better!

Thanks,
Erik