The Digispark > Digispark (Original) Support

I'm sure I've messed up the bootloader/firmware somehow.....

<< < (2/3) > >>

xamboozi:
Ok I think I understand now. The cdc232.hex is just the running program which is equivalent to anything I would write in the Arduino IDE. When I wrote the example blink sketch to it just now, the cdc232 program was overwritten.

I think my confusion may have come from both the bootloader and the micronucleus example programs being hex files and very little distinction between them.

Well this is just cool. I have a USB to serial converter for $12! I\'m really starting to love this little thing.

Bluebie:
For the more technically curious, here\'s how micronucleus works:

Micronucleus is a small V-USB program, similar to the DigiUSB, DigiKeyboard, and other usb related libraries in the digispark arduino software. Normally programs exist at the very beginning of the flash memory in the attiny85 chip, but micronucleus has been modified so the start of the program is about 6kb of 0xFF bytes. After that, micronucleus begins and uses up the final 2kb. This leaves room at the start of the chip for your own programs, but micronucleus always stays installed at the end. 0xFF bytes are interpreted as NOP (no operation) instructions by the AVR chip, so the first time you run it, or if you run it after an erase but no write (sometimes this happens if there\'s an error during the erase part of an upload attempt), next time the chip turns on it will execute all those NOPs and slam in to the bootloader code. This is called a NOP sled, which is a rather interesting concept used extensively in space exploration and computer hacking!

When you use micronucleus to upload a program, there\'s a trick to it - USB requires the device always respond to requests, but the tiny85 chip can\'t do that - whenever it\'s erasing or writing part of it\'s own program memory it has to go to sleep for about 4.5 milliseconds. Some of the more expensive chips like the mega328 have special bootloader support which lets them keep running in the background while an erase or write happens in another section of memory. Embedded Creations discovered however that if you craft your computer program to just not send any requests during that frozen time, the computer never notices the device has frozen up and doesn\'t crash the USB connection. This is pretty fragile, which is why the USB connection to the bootloader can sometimes crash if you run other intense usb software in the background, like an instance of digiterm polling for a device to appear.

So when the micronucleus command line tool first finds a digispark, it asks it \"How much memory do you have, and how long should I wait after each type of request?\" - when you see that assertion fail on ubuntu, it\'s talking about that request - the program tried to ask that question and had an error response due to some annoying linux permissions things. Next, it asks the device to erase it\'s memory and waits the right amount of time for it to do so - about 50 milliseconds to do all 6kb of flash pages. Once that\'s done, it starts uploading 64 byte chunks of your new program. Micronucleus writes in these bytes at the starting 6kb of flash memory, but with one special exception:

In the first page there\'s an interrupt vector table. The bootloader (on the device) replaces the reset vector and the pinchange vector with jump instructions pointing to it\'s own interrupt vector table 6kb later. Other than that, the program is left alone.

When the computer is finished uploading, the bootloader finally writes down what the original values of the user\'s reset vector and pinchange vector were in the very last four bytes of that first 6kb chunk of blank memory.

This little modification ensures the bootloader will run first when the chip is powered, and the pinchange interrupt is necessary for V-USB on the device to function in the bootloader. But wait - the user program needs to be able to use the V-USB to talk over USB as well! Embedded Creations came up with a really neat solution for that in their USBaspLoader-tiny85 project: Whenever the bootloader is running a special part of memory contains 0xB007 - whenever the pin change interrupt handler function is run inside of the bootloader, it checks if those two bytes are there, and if not, it immediately jumps to the user program\'s pinchange handler. This detect and jump behaviour is fast enough to not cause any problems with the V-USB software, but does mean other programs using PCINT (pin change interrupt) on the digispark will find there\'s a slightly longer delay before their function runs than there is on a raw chip with no bootloader.

For more information on the tricks micronucleus uses to add a bootloader on a chip with no built in bootloader features, check out embedded-creations\' USBaspLoader-tiny85 site.

So that\'s how that works.

Finally, I don\'t recommend anyone upload anything to their digisparks that they found in the micronucleus repository. Especially please stay away from the upgrader! It could ruin your digisparks and isn\'t ready for general use!! Digispark comes with micronucleus 1.02 installed - all the other versions are less reliable and while they work great on my computers, they might not work at all on yours, which would leave you no way to downgrade your chip back to 1.02 unless you have a high voltage serial programmer!

If you like uploading mysterious hex files, try this one: mystery.hex - see if you can figure out what it does! ^_^

illwill:
im trying to figure out how to get this working on ubuntu, anyone have a better guide than the cryptic one in the getting started section?

tried installing arduino from apt-get then copying the files from https://github.com/digistump/DigisparkArduinoIntegration/archive/master.zip to the /usr/share/arduino folder

then grabbing the already compiled avrdude and micronucleus from this zip:http://s3.amazonaws.com/digispark/builds/arduino-1.03-linux32-digispark-2013-01-05.zip
and putting them in the /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tools folder

i think its almost working

the final error i get is:
In file included from Keyboard.cpp:1:0:
/usr/share/arduino/libraries/DigisparkKeyboard/DigiKeyboard.h: In constructor ?DigiKeyboardDevice::DigiKeyboardDevice()?:
/usr/share/arduino/libraries/DigisparkKeyboard/DigiKeyboard.h:133:5: error: ?TIMSK? was not declared in this scope

digistump:
Did you select Digispark from Tools->Board and Tools->Programmer?

illwill:
oops forgot to set that again.

here\'s the new error:

In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/util/delay.h:44:0,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/avr/delay.h:37,
                 from /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tiny-digispark/cores/tiny/wiring_private.h:32,
                 from /usr/share/arduino/hardware/tiny-digispark/cores/tiny/WInterrupts.c:37:
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected identifier or ?(? before ?double?
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/include/math.h:426:15: error: expected ?)? before ?>=? token

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version