Author Topic: 16x2 LCD shield wiring  (Read 5335 times)

freehunter

16x2 LCD shield wiring
« on: January 04, 2013, 04:50:07 pm »
I can't find any information on how to get the included 16x2 LCD working. I've wired the shield up according to the directions on the wiki and plugged it in the way I thought the wiki was showing, and also the way shown in the picture on the kickstarter page, but all I get is the screen turning on and not showing what is in the example Digispark LCD code.

Does anyone know how to wire this up to make the demo code work?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:51:50 am by freehunter »

digistump

• Administrator
16x2 LCD shield wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:02:22 pm »
@freehunter - can you confirm that you have the black wire go to the GND pin on both the shield and LCD?

If that\'s not it then I\'ll try to get some more pictures of the setup to confirm both how it should look and what ti looks like when it works.

freehunter

16x2 LCD shield wiring
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 05:44:24 pm »
I can confirm the black is going to the ground on both ends. I\'m using the demo code from the Digispark version of the Arduino IDE. I would appreciate some pictures, thanks!

digistump

• Administrator
16x2 LCD shield wiring
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:32:47 am »
@freehunter - I\'m sorry I didn\'t get a chance for pics - but when you power your Digispark (via USB or other means) the LCD should light up right away and show some dark boxes on the top line for about 5 seconds - does it do that? If ti lights up but not dark boxes try adjusting the contrast - the blue box with phillips head thing on the back of the screen

After 5 seconds the boxes should disappear and say Digispark! instead - if they aren\'t disappearing this could also be a contract issue - try adjusting it the other direction.

Let me know if that helps.

freehunter

16x2 LCD shield wiring
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:54:20 pm »
I got it to work! I guess I was confused by the directions on the wiki, I had P0 on the Digispark to P0 on the breakout board and P3 on the Digispark to P3 on the breakout. I moved the pins to P0->P0 and P2->P2 and it\'s working perfectly now.

For anyone else who might read this, this is how I have it wired: P0 from the Digispark to P0 on the breakout, P2 on the Digispark to P2 on the breakout. Black is ground on both sides of the four-pin cable from the breakout to the LCD. The included resistors are soldered in the way shown in the pictures on the wiki. 5V and ground from the Digispark are plugged into 5V and ground on the breakout board. I\'m uploading DigisparkLCD - BasicUsage, and it\'s compiling and uploading successfully. The screen shows black boxes all along the top and nothing on the bottom for ~5 seconds, then goes black and reappears with the word Digispark!

I figured it out by tracing the wires on the bottom of the breakout and adjusting the pin layout accordingly. Thanks for the quick help Digistump! I didn\'t know about the contrast adjustment.

digistump

• Administrator
16x2 LCD shield wiring
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 01:14:20 pm »
I have corrected the typo - I didn\'t even think of wiring because I\'m so used to just plugging the shields in - glad you got it to work though!

barnacleBudd

Re: 16x2 LCD shield wiring
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »
Here's a link for hooking up the LCD with pictures:

http://mypetdigispark.blogspot.com/