Author Topic: Retina MBP Issues  (Read 45072 times)

alexnking

Re: Retina MBP Issues
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 10:33:52 pm »
Just wanted to note I'm also getting the trackpad freezes on any communication to the digispark, running the send.py program to send text to the USB2LCD program causes my trackpad to hang for at least a few seconds. I'm on a 15" 2008 Macbook. Works fine besides that though, guess I'll have to get a cable...

EDIT: I've found a USB cable, but the trackpad issues persist. It does seem that merely running the send.py program causes the hangs, as using it even without the digispark attached produces the hang.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:47:41 pm by alexnking »

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:01 pm »
alexnking - at this point we believe the hang is caused by libusb or the python implementation of it (pyusb) - or the way we've implemented that code. Once shipping is done (80% of the way there!) I'll be working on the software side more to straighten things like this out/implement better ways to talk to the USB device.

Bluebie

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 02:39:43 pm »
On my macbook air I get the trackpad/keyboard freezes too, and I find if I keep one finger on the trackpad wiggling the mouse around when I start the program and plug the digispark in, it doesn't freeze at all. I have no idea why. I wonder if holding down a modifier key on the keyboard would have the same effect.

theLEDartist

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 07:08:59 pm »
@saperlot for the freezing try just quitting the digispark arduino program. If that doesn't work try opening a terminal, type "sudo killall -9 micronucleus". Does this fix it? Arduino software seems to leave a zombie micronucleus program running which can be a little mean to the USB interface, especially if several copies end up running - maybe it should time out after five seconds or so.

I have very similar problem with my 15' MBP (I think 2009 model). Arduino IDE gets stuck at "Plug in device now" prompt forever, and I see "AppleUSBMultitouchDriver" error messages in Console repeating forever.
Killing all micronucleus process does stop the error message. But still no go with loading the program into Digispark...

Oddly, I had successful load a few of the first tries, then it stopped working at all. No change in the way I'm connecting Digispark.

I noticed that the following error shows up when I connect Digispark the USB:

kernel   USBF:   22348.769   [0xc589400] The IOUSBFamily is having trouble enumerating a USB device that has been plugged in.  It will keep retrying.  (Port 4 of Hub at 0x26200000)

This message repeat a few times following the Digispark connect. What does this all mean?

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 07:12:25 pm »
@theLEDartist - have you tried a different port/hub - the message means the trackpad and digispark are conflicting on the same port/internal hub

theLEDartist

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 07:32:48 pm »
@theLEDartist - have you tried a different port/hub - the message means the trackpad and digispark are conflicting on the same port/internal hub

Tried different ports, and via an external hub - no difference. (except the port# reported in the error log.) My take on the situation is that my Mac OS (10.6.8 BTW) can not enumerate Digispark as an USB device, therefore Digispark uploader can not find the Digispark. Then micronucleus causes problems with the trackpad driver (by repeatedly resetting the driver somehow).

I have 3 Digisparks and they all do the same.

dougal

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 06:35:23 am »
If you have access to a different USB hub, try that. I'm using a cheapo Belkin 4-port USB 2.0 "pocket hub" on my 2008 Macbook. I can't program my Digisparks when plugged directly into the computer, but they work fine through my hub.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 08:45:29 pm »
theLEDartist-

I use 10.6.8 so that isn't it.

Was the hub you tried powered - that has worked for some linux users - I don't think any Mac folks have had to resort to that yet but it might be worth a shot.

Do you have access to a second machine to test? - on the very rare chance you got three bad ones or something like that.

BruceS

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 04:29:22 pm »
Same issue here, MacBook Pro Retina, 15".  Inserting basically froze the machine and eventually required a reboot to get it back and talking to me.  Adding a small extension inline seems to have resolved the problem. 

MJD

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 01:43:22 pm »
Just to add a (non-MBPR) data point, I have a laptop with USB 3.0 ports.  My digispark is working just fine in the port, tested with the programmer and with the Cheerlights example python script.  No extensions used at all.  Laptop is a Lenovo x230.

Dippyskoodlez

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 06:39:45 pm »
theLEDartist-

I use 10.6.8 so that isn't it.

Was the hub you tried powered - that has worked for some linux users - I don't think any Mac folks have had to resort to that yet but it might be worth a shot.

Do you have access to a second machine to test? - on the very rare chance you got three bad ones or something like that.

I'm using a Powered (Pluggable 7 port, USB 3.0 powered hub) hub with a 4a power supply, also trying an extension that is USB 2, and cannot even get my debug console to give the kernel errors mentioned above. My hub fails to indicate it actually sees an active device, but the digispark DOES power on.

Using a retina Macbook pro 15". 10.8.2.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 08:35:09 pm »
Dippyskoodlez -

Do you have multiple digispark? If so do you see this on more than one? If the computer doesn't see them at all it could be a bad Digispark. Also look at the connector on the Digispark and see if the USB pins seem to be centered?

Do you have access to a second machine to test with?

Thanks,
Erik

Dippyskoodlez

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 10:48:44 pm »
Dippyskoodlez -

Do you have multiple digispark? If so do you see this on more than one? If the computer doesn't see them at all it could be a bad Digispark. Also look at the connector on the Digispark and see if the USB pins seem to be centered?

Do you have access to a second machine to test with?

Thanks,
Erik

I'm getting the same behavior with all 3 of my Digisparks.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Power-Adapter-VL812-Chipset/dp/B008ZGKWQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362640299&sr=8-1&keywords=plugable+usb+3.0

Ok, did some more troubleshooting:

Windows PC(NOT macbook Pro. ivybridge/Z77) : Everything works. No issues. Including hub.

OS X: Nothing will even detect the digispark. Hub, Extension, internal ports. Notta. ]With some wiggling, both USB ports will power one of my digisparks, but not detect.

rMBP+Windows(Win7 x64) Bootcamp install: INTERNAL ports will NOT detect digispark. Extension WORKS.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:05:44 am by Dippyskoodlez »

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 12:36:17 am »
Dippyskoodlez -

Re: Internal ports on MBP - usually this is due to the usb end of the Digispark not going far enough into the port - this is common and has been addressed in the next revision.

Re: The USB 3.0 hub - there are some issues with 3.0 devices (with more than just the Digispark).

Re: Working in windows but not os x - strange! usually it works better in os x! - Just the extension with the Digispark (no hub) doesn't work on any port?

Dippyskoodlez

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 12:56:45 am »
Dippyskoodlez -

Re: The USB 3.0 hub - there are some issues with 3.0 devices (with more than just the Digispark).

Re: Working in windows but not os x - strange! usually it works better in os x! - Just the extension with the Digispark (no hub) doesn't work on any port?

re: Hub; this hub actually works, and works well :) It just gives the same symptoms in OS X as the native devices. Every other device I use (x-fi, DAC, HDD's, etc all work great.)

I cannot get it [Digispark] to work at all in 10.8.2.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 01:17:06 am by Dippyskoodlez »