Author Topic: Stino: Sublime Text editor as Arduino IDE  (Read 22547 times)

dougal

Stino: Sublime Text editor as Arduino IDE
« on: September 06, 2013, 06:27:49 am »
I ran across this on Twitter yesterday:

https://github.com/Robot-Will/Stino

It's an add-on for the Sublime Text editor that turns it into an Arduino IDE. I pointed it at my Digispark Arduino app, and it seems to have picked up all the settings for board, programmer, etc. I haven't tried using it to upload a sketch yet, but I'm definitely going to give it a try.

digistump

• Administrator
Re: Stino: Sublime Text editor as Arduino IDE
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 09:37:14 am »
This is great! I already use Sublime Text both for my day job and for Arduino, but for Arduino I was just pasting into the IDE and uploading.

kehribar

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 10:48:12 am »
Erik,

Standard Arduino IDE has an option for "Using external editor"

In this mode, you can't modify the sources directly via Arduino IDE. Textbox field becomes greyed out and doesn't update in real time. When you upload compile / upload button, it refreshes the source files from the harddisk and does its magic.

Way much better way to "copying and pasting" :) Edit in the external editor, hit compile / upload button in the Arduino IDE.

Best,
ihsan.

semicolo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 06:45:48 pm »
Seems nice but it's not free, but it has a vi mode  :P

Does any of you know of a free alternative to the arduino IDE that has autocomplete?

Edit:
Looks like there's an eclipse plugin and a visual studio plugin (not free but I have a licence from work).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:49:40 pm by semicolo »

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 12:14:16 am »
@semicolo

I'm sure some would want to shoot me for this but while I try to work in the Arduino IDE because you should use what you sell (or give away in the case of our IDE changes) - personally I really like developing with:

Atmel studio 6.1
http://www.atmel.com/Microsite/atmel_studio6/

with this addon to give it some simple Arduino compatibility

http://www.visualmicro.com/

both free, the visualmicro folks also make a pay debugger for arduino that can be handy (though I'm not currently a user of it).

That said Sublime Text is worth the money as an all around super customizable development enviro - in my day job as a CTO, it is my recommendation to all of my developers and what I use myself.

defragster

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:29:09 am »
Atmel Studio updated to 6.2 - wondering if anyone using this and VisualMicro across one or more of the PRO and DigiX and DigiSpark?

My old Arduino IDE for DigiX was wrong for PRO, and I got Pro working fine with new Nightly download.  Then I went to Digix and it failed and copied over (some) fresh DigiStump DigiX files and ended up with neither working.  Searching both Wiki and Forum didn't show signs for using both - but it seems I saw a note somewhere about some interaction of future functionality.

gogol

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:59:22 am »
I still have individual installations for
  • CORE AVR Arduinos,
  • Digispark classic (which I have extended for several barebone attiny cores),
  • Digispark DigiX and the Arduino DUE
  • and now a separate one for the PRO.
If the Upcoming one for the PRO will support the other two as well, I will start migrating the other two Digispark related installations onto that one. Right now, I just live with one more.

BTW: Is there a hack, to change the color of the IDE?  It would be nice having different colors for different configurations.

defragster

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 05:44:04 pm »
Just a unique windows directory for each installation?  Somehow when I made a fresh one for Pro in a unique place - it only worked after I pulled the docs\Arduino directory for Digix.  I got the idea there was some 'default directory' crosstalk.

Interesting to know that indeed all installations are still unique - until the unification happens.

defragster

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 03:51:27 am »
I got my Win 8.1 32 bit IDE working again for the Pro.

On Win 7 x64: For my Visual Studio 2010 I downloaded and installed the DigiStump (as yet) unsupported Atmel 6.2 and VisualMicro and both failed with non specific 'compile failed'.  One seemed to suggest choking on the a std???.h with a failure to parse what it had, hen I tried Atmel and there was no fail text with the error so I moved on.  The Visual Micro seemed to point into the DigiStump hardware and both showed the PRO by name, but neither got a compile to work.

gogol

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 04:47:35 am »
Just a unique windows directory for each installation?

Yes. I just install them from ZIP-Files into separate directories. In each IDE directory for the 1.5 series I create another subdirectory called: "portable". This directory is used for user related stuff instead of those in the users home directory.
That way the installations are totally separate.
see: https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/pull/1211

Unfortunately this does not work for the 1.0.x versions, where live is not so easy.

gkr

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 02:11:19 pm »
Currently, I have use the same installation of the arduino IDE, version 1.5.7, for digiX and digispark classic. I haven't tested yet the pro but there is no reason it doesn't work as I installed the pro package.