Author Topic: my door opener dot com  (Read 3236 times)

skin

my door opener dot com
« on: April 23, 2013, 07:31:03 pm »
I bought the digispark on kickstarter. I have limited "tinkering" time under my belt; but I would like to know if this would even work with digispark?

http://mydooropener.com/

Anyone try this or willing to tell me why I shouldn't waste my time trying to make it work?

Bluebie

Re: my door opener dot com
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 08:24:42 am »
I don't think anyone's tried to connect ethernet directly to a digispark. This project has a whole bunch of features. I wonder what are the most interesting to you?

I think the idea of using your mobile phone as a key, without needing any special dongles or things is pretty useful. There are heaps of interesting ways you could implement that if you know how to write a bit of javascript by connecting two optical sensors (photodiodes or photoresistors or even just red LEDs to analog pins) and strobing SPI bytes optically to the two sensors off a phone screen. I know of the remee project which was on kickstarter which used this sort of system to transfer data from a web page to the little arduino device.

Another neat form of communication is ultrasonics - the speakers on those sorts of phones can usually go up quite a bit higher than frequencies audable to humans. The iPhone for instance can supposedly output sound at up to 48khz sample rates, giving you a max output frequency of about 24khz. Kids with excellent hearing usually can't hear past about 20khz. :)

So it could be a neat thing to setup a microphone with a midpass filter of some sort and transfer data from phone to spark over ultrasonics.

I guess I just feel like ethernet/wifi/web is such an annoying medium to use, even aside from nobody I know of having done it with digisparks at all. It really sucks if your ISP is having some trouble and you can't enter your house because it needs the internet for some weird functionality.

I don't know if any of this sounds fun to you, but at least the optical one wouldn't be too tricky to implement. If it sounds cool but seems out of your league maybe we could team up on it? ^_^

digistump

• Administrator
Re: my door opener dot com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:11:20 am »
I've hooked an ethernet shield to the Digispark and it worked sort-of - the biggest obstacle was that the libraries are too big to fit on the Digispark so you end up with super limited functionality.

You could do something like this pretty easily though with a Uart/Serial Wifi module - the kind with the TCP/IP stack in the module.

Or perhaps the easiest "out of the box" route would be bluetooth.