Author Topic: How would I go about building an audio recorder with Digispark?  (Read 5408 times)

treelovinhippie

Hi all

I'm a complete newb to electronics. But I'm hoping to build a prototype audio recorder which records ongoing 10min chunks from a mic, and stores on an SD card (~4GB) with proper timestamps. Looking for long battery life (over 24 hours).

So I'll need to add a microphone, battery, memory and possibly a real-time clock.

Any pointers or advice on where to start and what I'll need?

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:48:44 pm by treelovinhippie »

saperlot

How would I go about building an audio recorder with Digispark?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 12:06:33 pm »
Hi, if you are really a complete newcomer to electronics even to Software then your project is way too big for a starting point. Start with some basic exercises.
And also this board is way to small for such a thing.

sparr

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 02:02:00 pm »
I would recommend a raspberripi for your endeavor, not a digispark. An AVR isn\'t up to the task of doing audio encoding, although the rest of it would be possible in theory.

treelovinhippie

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:52:43 am »
I haven\'t played with Arduino yet, but I\'m a programmer by trade so that shouldn\'t be an issue.

Raspberry Pi is too large. I don\'t need to do a lot of encoding on the device, just record in plain 3gp

sparr

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 08:53:41 am »
\"plain 3GP\" is a compressed format. encoding/compressing audio samples to 3gp in realtime on an AVR would be a very impressive feat, even if you weren\'t doing anything else with it.

jimkirk

Re: How would I go about building an audio recorder with Digispark?
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:33:52 pm »
Late, but...

For an audio codec you might look at something like https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11684
and here's an SD card breakout board:  https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11403
I don't think a Digispark has enough I/O to control all this, but maybe an Arduino, since the codec offloads the heavy lifting and all that needs to be done is moving data and controlling things.