Author Topic: [SOLVED] Oak still broadcasts ACORN-XXXXXX after connecting  (Read 2154 times)

moodoki

It's summer and I finally have time to play with the few Oaks I bought some time ago. I've managed to get the oak connected to particle but some how it's still broadcasting the ACORN-XXXXXX SSID which is a security problem. How do I disable the open WIFI AP?

It might be worth noting that I've had some problems configuring the Oak initially using http://rawgit.com/digistump/OakSoftAP/master/config.html . It updated successesfully but did not connect to my WiFi on the first attempt. I started over and it connected, showing 3 rapid blinks. However, it does not show up on my particle account. I had to claim the device manually using the id from "/device-id".
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 11:47:08 pm by moodoki »

PeterF

Re: Oak still broadcasts ACORN-XXXXXX after connecting
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 11:00:33 pm »
Have you uploaded any code to your Oak yet? It will stay in safe mode and show the access point until you load your first program onto it.

moodoki

Re: Oak still broadcasts ACORN-XXXXXX after connecting
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 11:46:45 pm »
Oh! Silly me. I somehow assumed that once connected, the unsecured AP will disappear. I've uploaded a simple program and it's as intended now. Thanks!

PeterF

Re: [SOLVED] Oak still broadcasts ACORN-XXXXXX after connecting
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 05:14:35 am »
Hey, no problem ;) Glad that was all it was. Basically it stays in config mode until it has some code to run. If you don't want it to jump into config mode again on it's own, I strongly suggest you go into Tools -> Boards -> Oak (Manual config only) (or words to that effect)... this will make it so it won't jump into config mode on it's own if your wifi AP goes AWOL or Particle stops responding for more than 90ish seconds.

tcarleton

Re: [SOLVED] Oak still broadcasts ACORN-XXXXXX after connecting
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:22:48 pm »
@PeterF -- Thank you for the comment about the AP mode.  I had an oak on the wall for months acting as a web/IR remote control.  I accidentally pulled power a couple of times while moving furniture and found it in AP setup mode broadcasting ACORN#### yet still connected to my wifi.  I was about to ditch it (also for a zero) thinking if it can't remember a sketch, whats the point, but I clearly didn't understand the difference between safe mode default and safe mode manual only.  I'll give that a shot.