Author Topic: Organize your protoype with a cutting board...  (Read 351 times)

exeng

Organize your protoype with a cutting board...
« on: April 15, 2017, 10:08:28 am »
I have recently been creating a prototype of a speaking robot and found it difficult to keep all the parts from moving around and fighting the "springy" nature of the interconnects so I came up with a way to keep everything in place using a plastic cutting board. Now everything stays in it's place and is easy to pick up and move when needed. Basically the various boards and parts are either screwed down with standoffs or stuck to the board with two face tape.

To do this you will need to be able to pre-drill hole to match the various board hole locations and a 4-40 (or appropriate tap) to tap threads for whatever screws you plan to use.

Curious as to how others manage this?

PeterF

Re: Organize your protoype with a cutting board...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 02:45:21 am »
Nice ;)

I usually start with a pile of components and bits in small plastic boxes whilst collecting the bits for a project. Then move onto larger lunch-box sided boxes with the more fleshed out breadboard and other bits... so I can pull out the project when I want to work on it, and shove it back into the box and back onto the shelf out of the way until next time. Haven't gotten around to anything quite as elaborate as your setup yet... usually just the one breadboard + 'brain', or a larger 'multi-breadboard' plate.