Author Topic: USB -> wii nunchuck/nes mini help  (Read 592 times)

acro

USB -> wii nunchuck/nes mini help
« on: February 24, 2017, 06:51:38 pm »
not sure where to post this so im posting it here if it need to be some where else let me know...

so ive been trying to fine a site that would help me with this project.

i have an nes mini and i want to use an arcade setup with the nes mini so i googled usb to nunchuck and the ONLY thing that popped up was a post from about 4 years ago on this site... so please help me...

im looking for a was of converting a usb signal into a signal that the nes mini can read
OR
im looking for a way that individual button presses like from an arcade button to the nes mini...

once again im sorry if i posted this in the wrong place...

exeng

Re: USB -> wii nunchuck/nes mini help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:29:02 pm »
Probably not the right place for this unless you plan to somehow incorporate a Digistump product in your solution. Perhaps a better explanation of what you are trying to achieve might help. A diagram of what your trying to do. From what I can gather it seems you want to connect arcade buttons to the NES controller i/f. You also mention converting USB to a NES compatible signal. Can you show what's in the communication path?  USER I/F -> USB data -> convert to NES signals -> NES controller port.

Here is a schematic that may help https://projects.drogon.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/nes-controller-schematic.png, but it seems to use a different physical i/f for the controller port. From searching around though the signals may be the same but the the voltage may be 3.3V on the mini as opposed to 5V. Don't know much about this and don't have a NES mini.  Again, if you can give some more detail it may help.

acro

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:58:54 pm »
sorry for posting it in the wrong place... should i move it?

http://imgur.com/a/cy2yu

not sure if that helped... ill try to put it into words:

so i have a Push Button Micro Switch that has a ground and another single wire that leads out to "something" then it goes to either the the nes mini or the original nes and then gets converted to a nes mini signal

Push Button Micro Switch (see pic 1) -> ??some kind of converter?? -> nes controller input -> original nes to nes mini converter (see pic 2) -> nes mini (see pic 3)

my final goal is to make the nes into an full arcade machine but im just having difficulty's with the control set up.

im flexible with ideas as long as it meets the end goal...

BTW thanks for helping!

exeng

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:19:55 pm »
Well if you are just trying to interface arcade buttons, it seems that you are basically trying to emulate a NES controller. In that case the schematic should help. It basically shows how 8 button inputs are interfaced to the controller port. You would need a cable with the appropriate connector for the nest. I'm sure you can find one online. You would need to get the 4021N IC and basically mimic the circuit or you could simply get and sacrifice a NES controller and wire in the buttons in place of the controller's buttons. I believe the controller has the IC in it. It seems it can be done with a little research and ingenuity. Should be just a matter of wiring. Does that help?

Let me guess. You want to put the mini inside of a arcade style enclosure and bring out the arcade style buttons. Right?

exeng

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:47 pm »
Looked at your post again... Do you need to have the NES converter (pic 2) in this chain? Is it because you want to use optional controllers?

acro

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:51:57 pm »
You want to put the mini inside of a arcade style enclosure and bring out the arcade style buttons.

you got it!

but anywho

https://fictiv-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/resource-center/starter/nintendo/nintendo_05.jpg

no i dont want any other controllers besides the arcade buttons and stick

as for the NES converter i cant find much to any documentation for a nunchuck port that seemed useful... but i did find a classic nes to nes mini converter...

edit: seems what ill have to do is:

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_wiring.html#PCB_MAPPING_AND_SOLDERING
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:54:38 pm by acro »

exeng

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:10:33 pm »
OK good luck. Either mod a controller board to bring out the buttons... or build your own board with a 4021N IC using the schematics. I think the pullups resistors are 4.7k on the buttons.

If you make your own board, you'll just need to figure out the pinout of the controller port on the mini.

acro

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 11:12:45 pm »
alright thanks! i think ill try modding a my controller board first ill post back here with the results much later!

acro

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 10:17:10 pm »
yay it worked thanks! if you want a pic of the crude soldering job i did ill be happy to post it lol

exeng

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 11:12:14 pm »
Glad to hear that you had success with it.