Author Topic: Chance I have a bad Oak?  (Read 1864 times)

Brucutus

Chance I have a bad Oak?
« on: September 29, 2016, 07:41:56 pm »
Ordered a 5 pack and after struggling to get 4 to update FW and register with Particle, the 5th unit refused all downloading of fw.  I used a serial cable to successfully flash version 10 (3 fast blinks), but all attempts to connect with Particle refuse. 
I checked my router DHCP log and found the oak doesn't even register its IP most of the time.  I did successfully connect to DHCP a couple times, but still failed to contact Particle.   
I've tried 3 routers, close/far from the router, with/without passwords. 
My last attempt to configure it: connect to its wifi ssid, browser oak wifi config: "unable to connect to your Oak", however if I bring up 192.168.0.1\version it responds {"v":1}.  Other web commands return data ok too. 
I know there are issues with this early firmware, but is it possible this one oak is bad?

PeterF

Re: Chance I have a bad Oak?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:09:04 pm »
If you've had to resort to the serial update method, and have 4 out of 5 behaving... I would lean towards it being faulty in some manner. Especially since it seems to be falling over without even obtaining an IP address.

Would you be up to loading a program onto your Oak via serial to see if it behaves any differently once it has a program running on it, as opposed to being in config mode and waiting for some firmware?

Then try running this to see what happens. Just to be different, flashes the LED a few times and then it manually triggers the Particle connection code itself, rather than leave the Oak to do it automatically.

Brucutus

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 12:13:43 pm »
Finally got around to loading this code.  It did indeed install and runs and blinks correctly.  I assume since it overwrote the wifi boot/connect code that the Particle commands can't work.   
I guess next step is to restore the factory boot code and try to configure wifi/particle again?

PeterF

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 12:58:31 am »
No, the wifi commands should still work, that is compiled in when you use the Arduino IDE. All that has really changed is that instead of loading it over the air via particle, the code has been loaded directly onto the oak via serial. As long as the Oak was configured to be able to access your wifi network (i.e. you gave it the SSID and password in config mode), then that could should be connecting to particle, publishing one message in the setup loop, and sending another every 10 seconds after the led blinks.

I can't remember if confg mode (P1 to GND for 2-3 seconds when powering up the Oak, and then removing the jumper) still works after a serial upload, but it might be worth running through config mode again and seeing if SoftAP can configure your wireless (and apply the settings again). If not, then yes, try doing an manual (serial)l firmware update again to put it back to normal.

However, since it is the 1 out of 5 that is misbehaving, it unfortunately is sounding like a faulty one. Some test code that makes it scan your wifi environment and/or attempts to connect to your router with hard-coded credentials would put that theory to rest, but I don't have anything that is Oak-compatible handy.