Author Topic: Nothing seems to be working  (Read 2673 times)

ScottM

Nothing seems to be working
« on: October 02, 2016, 05:56:38 pm »
I can't get any of my OAKs to work properly. Whenever I go to the console (https://console.particle.io/devices), I see Oak-4 (I have 9 all together) showing as active, even though it isn't even plugged in. Today, I reset Oak-3, Oak-6 and Oak-8 by grounding P1, re-connected them to my wi-fi network and then tried to see them on the console, but none of them show up as active. Using the Arduino IDE, I cannot upload a sketch to any of them. No wonder, if they are not active. My PC is running Windows 7. I just tried running the console on a Win 10 laptop and they still don't show up.

Oak-6 is my garage door monitor. Since I have had very unreliable performance from it, I blamed the weak wi-fi signal out to my garage, so I purchased a Dlink wi-fi extender today. The extender works well and I put it right in the garage with Oak-6 and still no connection. 

I have a vacation coming up where I will be out of the country for a week, and I was really hoping to be able to monitor my home using these Oak boards, but it is looking less and less likely. Should I relegate my Oaks to the junk box and start again with something more reliable, or are these actually going to work someday? I'm sorry, but I'm frustrated. I've dedicated dozens of hours to these boards and still don't have them up and running properly. :(

PeterF

Re: Nothing seems to be working
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 06:29:37 pm »
I'll just point out two things - which probably aren't the problem, but could explain some of the symptoms. The Devices overview on the Particle console will show a device active for approximately one minute after it has been unplugged... I believe it is something to do with the regular heartbeat handshake with Particle, and tolerance of a few successive failures before it decides the device must be offline. If it stays online past a few minutes (i.e. doesn't go offline), I'd be suspecting that Oak4 is not the Oak you think it is!

Have you connected the garage Oak to the wifi extenders wifi? My d-link extender can't transparently just extend the host wifi  - it acts a a relay, so all devices that need to connect via the extender need to connect to it's access point, not the main one. Just checking in case you didn't realise... and one less variable).

The only real observation I can make on my end is since firmware v1.0.5 came out, I haven't had any insurmountable issues with any of my Oaks. I've had three units running 24x7 pretty much since I've got them (either always one in the case of one, or sleeping and periodically waking up and sending sensors readings in the case of two others).

When you put them in safe mode, what comes up in the Particle Console logs (https://console.particle.io/logs)? Do they constantly cycle offline and online, or do they not even register? You don't need to configure the wifi, just put them in config mode, and see what log messages (if any) are generated. If they appear and cycle, you'll want to update the config mode firmware (as that doesn't update automatically) - I find it easiest to just do a serial firmware update, and I believe I remember you saying have a 3.3v FTDI, so you're all set to do that.

If they don't appear at all, but you can see them on your wireless network, or they don't appear at all... I'm not sure off the top of my head what's going on there. Anyway, that's something to start with anyway.

ScottM

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 01:20:04 pm »
I gathered up all my Oaks and lined them up on my table to make sure that they are all accounted for. Oak-4 is there, but the Particle console still has a flashing blue light next to it. Maybe I have to unclaim it and reclaim it again, but I don't really want to. For my garage oak, Oak-6, I reset it and connected it to the wifi extender network. I tested the wifi extender network first with a tablet and my phone to make sure it was working. Given that I couldn't see Oak-3 and Oak-8 on the Particle console after I powered them up points to a global issue. If they aren't going to show up on the console, I can't see being able to upload to them.

Tonight I will test putting them into Config mode (ground P1 for a few seconds right?) and see what shows up in the log screen.

ScottM

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 01:25:34 pm »
I just noticed something interesting. While the blue dots didn't flash for Oak-3, Oak-6 and Oak-8, they all have last connection dates on Oct 2, which is when I was trying to upload code to them. See attached picture.

ScottM

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:55:03 pm »
I tried something radical. I logged out of my Particle account and then logged back in. That seems to have fixed most of the problems. I have 5 Oaks up and running.

PeterF

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 05:27:15 pm »
You mean on your web browser (the logging out and in)? That is really weird... Especially how OAK-4 was last seen nearly a month ago, yet is still online... :-O... that is a good one. So I presume all the Oaks that are powered on are now happily doing a blue dot fade on the dashboard? Glad to hear it seems to have worked out... certainly wouldn't have guessed that one.

ScottM

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 06:59:06 am »
Yes Peter. I logged out from my web browser (Chrome) at the Particle Console and logged back in again. As you can see from the attached image, Oaks 2,3,7,8,9 are active. Oak-6 is my garage door monitor. That makes 6 Oaks running. I ran out of micro USB cables. Still, Oak-4 still shows as active on the console, even though it sits unplugged. I plan to unclaim it and reclaim it to see if that fixes the issue.