Author Topic: Firmware 1.0.2 kills my oaks Wifi and sketches  (Read 23135 times)

PeterF

Re: Firmware 1.0.2 kills my oaks Wifi and sketches
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2016, 12:55:37 am »
To test out my theory of particle connection being the issue, I changed the blink sketch to have SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC) to disable to particle connection, and it burst into life instantly after programming without any hiccups. So my recent gremlins are definitely particle-connection related, and aren't specific to 1.0.4 - this is an issue with 1.0.1, and also safe mode with system version 6. This is repeatable with both oaks that I have been testing.

However, two other oaks which are deep-sleep rebooting every 10 minutes are connecting fine, and a third with an active 24x7 connection is also fine. I haven't tried programming them recently, so I don't know if there is any connection there (they are probably running 0.9.5 or 1.0.0 still FWIW).

I extended the blink sketch slightly (as included below) to start up in semi_automatic mode, blink 10 times at 1 second intervals, then do 10 rapid flashes, and then try to connect. I got 10 slow flashes, 10 fast, and then device online and offline loops immediately after the faster flash (so on Particle.connect).

Code: [Select]
SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC)

// the setup function runs once when you press reset or power the board
void setup() {
  // initialize digital pin 1 as an output.
  pinMode(1, OUTPUT);

for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
  {
    digitalWrite(1, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
    delay(1000);              // wait for a second
    digitalWrite(1, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  }

for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
  {
    delay(100);              // wait for a second
    delay(100);              // wait for a second
  } 

Particle.connect(); 
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
}

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2016, 01:07:33 pm »
PeterF and kh - thank you both for all the analysis and troubleshooting, PeterF's findings gave me an idea that this might be related to the cloud system update functions which we aren't currently using, I wonder if Particle made a change to how these work to improve their devices and that started triggering these loops

If you can please try 1.0.5 which strips these functions out for now and tells Particle "no update needed" whenever it asks

Thanks!

aztorell

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2016, 04:45:01 pm »
Unloaded 1.0.1, and loaded 1.0.5; re-tried the start code.  Failed to program 3 times; last time I tried a power on pin 1 ground.  It's claiming 1.0.2 version:

"C:\Users\sysadm\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\digistump\tools\esptool2\0.9.1/esptool2.exe" -quiet -bin -boot2 -4096 -iromchksum "C:\Users\sysadm\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb617f2b2b4ed5d187612b5a5a49a2d5d.tmp/StartTimer.ino.elf" "C:\Users\sysadm\AppData\Local\Temp\buildb617f2b2b4ed5d187612b5a5a49a2d5d.tmp/StartTimer.ino.bin" .text .data .rodata

Sketch uses 260,007 bytes (24%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1,040,368 bytes.
Global variables use 51,140 bytes (62%) of dynamic memory, leaving 30,780 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81,920 bytes.
OakCLI tool version 1.0.2
Using config file at: C:\Users\sysadm\AppData\Roaming\oak\config.json
Sending file to cloud, to flash xxx (Device ID: zzz)

Error : An error occurred while flashing the device:

DrJFM

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2016, 09:56:20 pm »
Had been working to see which of 1.0.1 to 1.0.4 would work for me.  After a serial restore to 1.0 and update to 1.0.1 I was having decent results with a couple different sketches.
These had been working before things fell apart for me, so your theory on the Spark system trying to force an update seems to fit.  I was focusing on Spark/Particle limits, since I was having trouble with any sketch staying connected for long -- even on 1.0.1.  With nothing more than a 8 sec time between particle.publish events, I seemed to stay on line w 1.0.1.

Had earlier used a 15 sec SimpleTimer setup for a sketch publishing to both Particle and to Blynk. That didn't seem to work so well these days.  Decent results if writing to Particle or using a Yield() every 6 to 10 sec.  Was going to refine this down when I tried it w 1.0.5.  No problems w 12 second or greater Simple Timer driven loops.  OTA updates become routine vs try many time till I got lucky (power cycling etc to try and hit an OnLine window to catch a flash).

With 1.0.5,
    • OTA updates seem to hit every time
    • I stay connected to particle cloud with minimal overhead out to at least 15 sec pauses between actions
    • Sketch with both particle.Publish and Blynk controls working again
    • I may put my serial programing setup away for awhile

I think you nailed the biggest culprit here and since some of my sketches had worked on 1.0.2 or 1.0.3 earlier, I also suspect that changes on the Spark/Particle end may have been the culprit.[/b][/size]

Can we get an updated image to load via the serial restore procedure or at least fold this fix back into the first OTA update after factory restore?  Having had to master the Serial restore process in order to keep my Oaks functional, I would appreciate getting to a more refined baseline (like 1.0.5 maybe?) -- or instructions of how to extract or obtain the appropriate binaries from the various cores we have -- after a serial restore. (thanks for the windows exe tool to do the serial restore. works well)

It will be good to get back to using vs troubleshooting.  Cheers

James

PeterF

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2016, 02:39:42 am »
    Woohoo... winner winner chicken dinner! Where do I send the chicken?  ;D ;D  :o

I just update my test computer to 1.0.5, and everything is back to normal... or even better than before!

When do you think you'll push through an update to oakota.digistump.com/firmware so that safe/config mode also gets that patch?

[19:21:22] Device change: Oak5
    //upload a simple blink sketch - 1.0.5
    [19:21:49] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [19:22:10] Event: spark/status - offline
    [19:22:10] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [19:22:50] Event: spark/status - online
    //fantastic start!

//upload another sketch I have been working on... the MQTT one...
    [19:24:31] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [19:24:53] Event: spark/status - offline
    [19:24:53] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [19:24:59] Event: spark/status - online
    [19:25:11] Event: MQTT ledStatus sketch starting... - null
    //great... it started straight away and said it is online!

//what about a power cycle?
    [19:28:08] Event: spark/status - online
    [19:28:20] Event: MQTT ledStatus sketch starting... - null

//now for the moment of truth... is it a fluke, or has 1.0.5 fixed all? Flash blink sketch with 1.0.1 again.
    [19:28:57] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [19:29:19] Event: spark/status - offline
    [19:29:19] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [19:29:25] Event: spark/status - online
    [19:29:35] Event: spark/status - offline
    [19:29:37] Event: spark/status - online
    [19:29:46] Event: spark/status - offline
    [19:29:47] Event: spark/status - online
    [19:29:57] Event: spark/status - offline
    [19:29:59] Event: spark/status - online
    [19:30:00] Event: spark/status/safe-mode - {"f":[],"v":{},"p":82,"m":[{"s":1040368,"l":"m","vc":30,"vv":30,"f":"s","n":"1","v":6,"d":[]},{"s":1040368,"l":"m","vc":30,"vv":30,"u":"0","f":"u","n":"1","v":1,"d":[{"f":"s","n":"1","v":6,"_":""}]}]}

//yup, it didn't like that 1.0.1 blink sketch, lets get it back on 1.0.5 pronto!

[19:30:25] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [19:30:46] Event: spark/status - offline
    [19:30:46] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [19:30:52] Event: spark/status - online
    [19:31:04] Event: MQTT ledStatus sketch starting... - null

//yay! it works!

PeterF

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2016, 02:46:46 am »
    Unloaded 1.0.1, and loaded 1.0.5; re-tried the start code.  Failed to program 3 times; last time I tried a power on pin 1 ground.  It's claiming 1.0.2 version:

OakCLI tool version 1.0.2

The OakCLI tool version 1.0.2 is normal - that tool isn't updated as much as the system core is, so it's version hasn't changed.

My apologies if you have commented on this in another thread... but what does your Oak say when you look on the Particle Dashboard, or have a look at it on OakTerm? What I'm particuarly after here is to see if it is doing the offline/online cycle mine was. To see that on Particle, you'll need to look at the Logs section, as the main dashboard will say the oak is online the whole time (IIRC, a device is considered still online if it said it was within the last 15 seconds).

If you have the same problem, leave the oak powered up and wait for the spark/status/safe-mode event to trigger. You'll then be able to flash your Oak again, and compile a sketch with 1.0.5, which should fix it. Unfortunately, as this appears to be a symptom of a recent change on the Particle system related to system updates, it also knocks out safe/config mode the same way, so the only solution I have found so far is to simply wait for it to stop cycling. Fingers crossed!
    « Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:50:30 am by PeterF »

pkourany

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2016, 07:22:11 pm »
    I let one of my oaks cycle on/offline until it got to safe mode.  However, oakcli does not see it even though it list in Particle CLI.  Is serial programming my only option?

PeterF

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2016, 10:44:18 pm »
    When you say oakcli doesn't see it, do you mean that it won't program, or its not listed as a device to program when you run oakcli?

digistump

• Administrator
    « Reply #53 on: July 07, 2016, 02:14:20 am »
    Thanks PeterF and DrJFM for testing - great news!

Attached is a new system image using this build that can be loaded over serial using this command:

python esptool.py --baud 115200 --port YOUR_COM_PORT write_flash -fs 32m 0x1000 blank.bin 0x2000 firmware_v1.bin 0x101000 blank.bin 0x102000 blank.bin 0x202000 blank.bin

I'm calling it a night and I haven't tested it completely which is why I'm not updating the first update server with it yet - but feel free to give it a spin and please let me know if you do.

@pkourany - once we confirm this new system image works well we'll update the system update server with it and publish a wiki on how to force an OTA update of the system image - tomorrow hopefully - until then serial is the fastest route
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:34:40 am by digistump »

pkourany

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2016, 05:14:53 am »
    Thanks admin!  As a Particle Elite I feel like a noob with the Oak!  As a backup I now have to find my 3.3v FTDI... somewhere around here...  :o

pkourany

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2016, 04:44:53 am »
    Any news on this?

aztorell

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2016, 04:56:46 pm »
    PeterF; OakTerm works great!  Very insightful.  So, the oak was cycling online/offline, and it wouldn't program....after 5 minutes, it went into safe mode (and printed lots of stuff) .  Then it programmed successfully; blink program works with correct timing; I power it off and on, and it boots into the program just fine.   :-) 

PeterF

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2016, 07:01:54 pm »
    @pkourany: I have finally had some time to test the test firmware that Erik uploaded, and it seems to be working great on my two test subjects. I'll now be proceeding to roll it out to my other three Oaks before they start to play up.

@aztorell: great to hear! Yes, OakTerm is a great tool... kh's hard work on this is greatly appreciated!

Below is are my logs from testing my two Oaks. They were programmed using my main machine (on Windows 10 with Arduino IDE 1.6.9) which is now on board version 1.0.5. Long story short, they tested out perfectly. However, the logs for both Oaks are below so you can see for yourself :D

If it makes any difference, I am using the 'Pin 1 Safe Mode, Manual Config Only' board variant. If you think that alters anything, I am happy to repeat the  tests again using 'Pin 1 Safe Mode, Default'.

Oak5 - test subject 1
    # Run Oak5 without changing code loaded two days ago with 1.0.5 (MQTT listener sketch)
    [11:22:01] Device change: Oak5
    [11:22:06] Event: spark/status - online
    [11:22:18] Event: MQTT ledStatus sketch starting... - null

# Worked perfectly. Power off  Oak, waited until it was reported as offline, and then switched it on again.

[11:23:34] Event: spark/status - offline
    [11:23:54] Event: spark/status - online
    [11:24:06] Event: MQTT ledStatus sketch starting... - null

# updated oak with forum system firmware file

esptool --baud 115200 --port COM8 write_flash -fs 32m 0x1000 blank.bin 0x2000 firmware_v1.bin 0x101000 blank.bin 0x102000 blank.bin 0x202000 blank.bin

# updated, just checking configuration, it now reports as being system version 10, and remembered wireless settings
    [11:31:32] Event: spark/status - online
    [11:31:44] Config Mode
    [11:31:45] No user rom found

#uploading plain blink sketch, with only change being changing 13 to 1 ;)

[11:37:45] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [11:38:06] Event: spark/status - offline
    [11:38:06] Event: spark/flash/status - failed

# I think Oak crashed on reboot (no power cycle after system update glitch?), so I power cycled it and it was ok, blink sketch worked perfectly.

[11:38:49] Event: spark/status - online

# now to try my MQTT listener sketch as something slightly more demanding

[11:41:01] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [11:41:21] Event: spark/status - offline
    [11:41:21] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [11:41:27] Event: spark/status - online
    [11:41:39] Event: MQTT ledStatus sketch starting... - null

#sketch is working as expected, didn't have to touch power, everything looks good!

Oak 4 - test subject 2
    [11:42:58] Device change: Oak4

# power up Oak4 with previously running 1.0.5 code to see how it is responding... blink sketch, working fine

[11:43:21] Event: spark/status - online

# updated oak with forum system firmware file
    [11:45:04] Event: spark/status - offline

esptool --baud 115200 --port COM8 write_flash -fs 32m 0x1000 blank.bin 0x2000 firmware_v1.bin 0x101000 blank.bin 0x102000 blank.bin 0x202000 blank.bin

# updated, checking configuration, it also reports as being system version 10, and remembered wireless settings

[11:47:12] Event: spark/status - online
    [11:47:24] Config Mode
    [11:47:24] No user rom found

# uploading plain blink sketch, with only change being changing 13 to 1 ;)

[11:49:39] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [11:50:01] Event: spark/status - offline
    [11:50:01] Event: spark/flash/status - failed

# Oak crashed on reboot (no power cycle after system update glitch?), so I power cycled it and it was ok, blink sketch worked perfectly
    [11:50:17] Event: spark/status - online

# don't know why it did this cycle, but it is stil working fine.
    [11:50:26] Event: spark/status - offline
    [11:50:27] Event: spark/status - online

# now to try my MQTT listener sketch as something slightly more demanding
    [11:53:21] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [11:53:42] Event: spark/status - offline
    [11:53:42] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [11:53:48] Event: spark/status - online
    [11:53:59] Event: MQTT ledStatus sketch starting... - null

# again, sketch is responding as expected! 2 for 2!

DrJFM

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2016, 08:55:24 pm »
    Have tried the serial based update to 1.0.5 and various other firmware related trials and will relate my experience/conclusions here:

Trying to get ready to test the serial update, I managed to get an Oak to a place where it wouldn't update OTA anymore -- and I was not trying yet -- just getting ready to test serial update posted by Admin.  So...flashed the firmware and had a functional Oak again!  Thanks, Eric

Then, more systematically, went to 1.0.2 and back via the Arduino Board Manager.  Both would load and reload OTA sketches.  The OakTerm really helps follow painlessly. Thanks KH.

Tried 1.0.3 and ended up having to do a factory restore.  After serial flash to factory restore state, I didn't succeed in an immediate second Serial Flash to 1.0.5.  Had to do the Serial Factory restore flash, Config the SSID and password and manage the first Particle OTA update.
    From there I could use IDE board manager.  1.0.3 is to be avoided IMHO. 

Following this serial factory to 1.0.5 via OTA w IDE Board Manager, I went to 1.0.2, then used the serial update to go to 1.0.5.  Flashed 1.0.5 twice.  After first, Oak was showing Config. Mode and didn't want to flash w serial.  Grounded Pin1 and Pin2 both during flash to 1.0.5.  Conclusion -- looks like if you are moderately non-functional and three blinking in config mode but can't upload, the serial flash to 1.0.5 will be a fix -- faster than full factory + OTA first update.  (I will try the one, 2 flash of factory + 1.0.5 update again w possible use of Pin 1 to Ground on second serial flash -- or shouldn't this get me to a useful state anyway?

If the device is not too messed up and the serial flash to 1.0.5 works, a benefit is that it did not wipe my SSID and password.  Unit came up and logged back on in Config Mode and took a OTA sketch.

For example once 1.0.5 is running, I went to(a) 1.0.2 with Board Manager and ran a Temp/Humidity sketch to (b) a simple test sketch in 1.0.2 (editing sketch to list version in Particle.println statement), then(c) reloaded this simple sketch using 1.0.5 via Board Manager and (d) back to my Blynk enabled Temp/Humidity sketch in 1.05 all within a bit over 10 min OTA (timelines below).

I suspect that if you generate an error or two in 1.0.2, you end up unable to recover as readily as does 1.0.5, but can't state that as fact.
    I find 1.0.3 to be about a one sketch firmware and to be avoided.
    The 1.0.5 firmware continues to be well behaved and robust for me

I may have had the odd need to use a Pin 1 reset to config mode, power cycle or 2 upload tries to succeed, but generally, everything recovers well.
    If Particle says the OTA Flash succeeded (I saw this a few times) it failed.
    If Particle says the OTA Flash failed, it is usually a good sign and it worked -- can we get the logic on the return code inverted for OAK flashes?
    If the Flash dots ie Flashing............................................................................... go much longer than that, it is almost always a fail.
    Same for the reboot dots.

If we get another buggy core release, please don't pull all the files.  We were left without the ability to regress to 1.0.2 -- which still works decently for me.  Perhaps something like 1.0.3 could be substituted with a prior release such as 1.0.2 (ie a copy renamed 1.0.3 with appropriate checksum for the IDE) to prevent additional bricking.

I use an processor removed UNO to do the serial flashes.  I have had occasionally to move the UNO to OAK ground to a different ground socket on my OAK or wiggle it in real well and have benefited a bit (I believe) by cleaning up my solder joints at all the ground pins and Vin Vcc etc.)  I have had great serial flashing success using the 3.3V output on UNO to the Vcc points on the OAK and Ground to Ground to power the Oak from UNO.  I like having a common ground and everything powers up at once.  I use a USB3 port on my Desktop to assure I have adequate power and have also used an external power supply to the UNO (but not lately -- might be better w USB 2 connection).

As always, your mileage may vary.

James

[23:50:39] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [23:50:54] Event: spark/status - offline
    [23:50:54] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [23:51:02] Event: spark/status - online
    [23:51:22] % RH = 55.2
    Temp = 20.9
    [23:51:37] % RH = 57.4
    Temp = 20.4
    [23:51:52] % RH = 57.6
    Temp = 20.4
    [23:52:07] % RH = 57.8
    Temp = 20.3
    [23:52:22] % RH = 58.0
    Temp = 20.3
    [23:52:37] % RH = 58.2
    Temp = 20.3
    [23:52:52] % RH = 58.3
    Temp = 20.2
    [23:53:07] % RH = 58.4
    Temp = 20.2
    [23:53:22] % RH = 58.6
    Temp = 20.2
    [23:53:37] % RH = 58.8
    Temp = 20.1
    [23:53:52] % RH = 59.0
    Temp = 20.1
    [23:54:07] % RH = 59.1
    Temp = 20.1
    [23:54:22] % RH = 59.1
    Temp = 20.1
    [23:54:37] % RH = 59.2
    Temp = 20.0
    [23:54:52] % RH = 59.4
    Temp = 20.0
    [23:55:05] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [23:55:21] Event: spark/status - offline
    [23:55:21] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [23:55:28] Event: spark/status - online
    [23:55:44] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:55:44] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#1
    [23:55:59] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:55:59] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#2
    [23:56:14] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:56:14] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#3
    [23:56:29] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:56:29] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#4
    [23:56:44] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:56:44] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#5
    [23:56:59] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:56:59] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#6
    [23:57:14] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:57:14] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#7
    [23:57:29] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:57:29] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#8
    [23:57:44] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:57:44] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#9
    [23:57:59] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:57:59] Hi using 1.0.2 loop#10
    [23:58:14] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [23:58:29] Event: spark/status - offline
    [23:58:29] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [23:58:37] Event: spark/status - online
    [23:58:52] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:58:52] Hi using 1.0.5 loop#1
    [23:59:07] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:59:07] Hi using 1.0.5 loop#2
    [23:59:22] Event: Hi! - w 15 sec timer
    [23:59:22] Hi using 1.0.5 loop#3
    [23:59:27] Event: spark/flash/status - started
    [23:59:46] Event: spark/status - offline
    [23:59:46] Event: spark/flash/status - failed
    [23:59:53] Event: spark/status - online
    [00:00:13] % RH = 59.4
    Temp = 20.0
    [00:00:28] % RH = 60.3
    Temp = 19.8
    [00:00:43] % RH = 60.3
    Temp = 19.8

boneskull

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2016, 04:29:22 pm »
    once we confirm this new system image works well we'll update the system update server with it and publish a wiki on how to force an OTA update of the system image - tomorrow hopefully - until then serial is the fastest route

Wanted to just chime in and say I finally had success with this firmware flashing over serial, then re-running the initial setup.  Thanks!!