Author Topic: Firmware 1.0.2 kills my oaks Wifi and sketches  (Read 21724 times)

digistump

• Administrator
Re: Firmware 1.0.2 kills my oaks Wifi and sketches
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 11:49:19 am »
Yes I've rolled back 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 because I want to get to the bottom of these issues reported before leaving those out in the wild - my testing shows 1.0.3 working well, but there are too many reports here to not dig deeper and try to reproduce - I've asked @kh to look into this as well, as all the commits since 1.0.1 were (very kindly!) submitted by him, and could or could not be related to this.

We'll get it fixed and into 1.0.3 as soon as possible, and I'll update here when we do.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 11:50:02 am »
@aztorell - would you mind testing the same way with 1.0.1 to confirm that things work well with that for you?

aztorell

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 05:48:35 pm »
I've battled with the toolset for an hour now.  Got all the boards uninstalled, and installed 1.0.1.  But I don't have success flashing the part.  I've even grounded pin 1 before loading.  Several times it would start to flash (dots incrementing), and then fail.  Now it never acknowledges flashing.  The particle dashboard indicates it's communicating when I start flashing by the timestamp.

Sending file to cloud, to flash xxxxxxx

Error : An error occurred while flashing the device:

PeterF

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 07:44:40 pm »
Does it continue failing to acknowledge/respond to flashing when in safe mode (P1 to GND)... Also, once you've entered safe/config mode, do you pull the jumper so you can see the P1 doing it's triple flash thing? (The jumper only needs to be connected at boot, you can remove it after 1-2 seconds). If your Oak still has the 1.0.1 config/safe mode core on it, you should see the P1 led start blinking erratically if it is accepting an OTA update.

aztorell

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 07:52:42 pm »
When I try the safe  mode, I pull the jumper after it boots, and I see the triple flash, as normal.  I could also power cycle without the jumper, and it triple flashes, even if it has partially flashed.

After Many tries, it accepted programming, and rebooted.  It cycled with the 6 second period like with the 1.0.3 load.  After about 5 minutes, it settled into a 2 second (expected) rep rate.  I cycled the power, and it went back to a 6 second rep rate, for about 20 minutes, then settled into a 2 second rate.

So, it looks like 1.0.1 behaves the same as 1.0.3.  Although, it was much easier to reprogram with 1.0.3.

Another odd thing I have seen occurs when my wi-fi goes down (I shut off the modem when the kids are getting ready for school).  The oak goes back into a triple flash operation within a few minutes of wi-fi loss.

PeterF

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 08:18:12 pm »
On that last point

Another odd thing I have seen occurs when my wi-fi goes down (I shut off the modem when the kids are getting ready for school).  The oak goes back into a triple flash operation within a few minutes of wi-fi loss.

this is expected behaviour. When you have the Oak in the 'Pin 1 Safe Mode - Default', if you Oak doesn't see it's registered access point for some set time period (I seem to remember 3 minutes being mentioned?), it auto falls back to safe/config mode waiting for you to reconfigure the access point settings. If you don't want it to do this, change to the 'Pin 1 Safe Mode - Manual Config Only'. In this mode, if it doesn't see the wireless, then too bad, it keeps trying. It then only goes into safe/config mode if a code upload goes wrong, or you manually trigger it.

kh

• OakTerm developer
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 12:16:07 pm »
@lopemac, @mikekgr did you have a chance to try firmware 1.0.3 while it was available for download? I had hoped it would help with the issues you were encountering with 1.0.2. If it doesn't help, there must be another underlying problem that we haven't found yet.

mikekgr

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 07:25:41 am »
@lopemac, @mikekgr did you have a chance to try firmware 1.0.3 while it was available for download? I had hoped it would help with the issues you were encountering with 1.0.2. If it doesn't help, there must be another underlying problem that we haven't found yet.

Dear Kh,
yes I tried 1.0.3 before Eric take it out and I found capable doing OTA flash as it should! I did not extensively tested because the next day it was out from Arduino...

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

kh

• OakTerm developer
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 02:28:54 pm »
Thanks for the update @mikekgr

If you want to install 1.0.3 (actually 1.0.4 beta now) before it is officially finished and released, then use the following steps:
  • Download 1.0.4 beta from my fork of OakCore on GitHub here: https://github.com/kh90909/OakCore/archive/restore-ota-blink.zip
  • Delete everything in the folder APP_DATA\Arduino15\packages\digistump\hardware\oak\, where APP_DATA is where your system keeps the Arduino data (usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming on Win 7/8/10). This clears out all references to the pulled 1.0.2 board version that can cause problems.
  • Use the Arduino IDE Boards Manager (Tools menu -> Board -> Boards Manager...) to install Oak by Digistump version 1.0.1
  • Delete everything in the APP_DATA\Arduino15\packages\digistump\hardware\oak\1.0.1\ directory
  • Copy the contents of the OakCore-restore-ota-blink directory inside the zip into APP_DATA\Arduino15\packages\digistump\hardware\oak\1.0.1\
  • Rebuild your sketch in the Arduino IDE. Boards Manager will still say version 1.0.1, but it will use the copied 1.0.4 beta files.

To go back to 1.0.1, use the Arudino IDE Boards Manager (Tools menu -> Board -> Boards Manager...) to remove the installed version, then reinstall it (or whatever version you want).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:11:23 pm by kh »

mikekgr

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 11:11:46 pm »
Dear kh,

I will try today at night Greek Local Time and I will report back to you.

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

If you want to install 1.0.3 (actually 1.0.4 beta now) before it is officially finished and released, then use the following steps:
  • Download 1.0.4 beta from my fork of OakCore on GitHub here: https://github.com/kh90909/OakCore/archive/restore-ota-blink.zip
  • Copy the contents of the OakCore-restore-ota-blink directory inside the zip over the files found at APP_DATA\Arduino15\packages\digistump\hardware\oak\XXX, where APP_DATA is where your system keeps the Arduino data (usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming on Win 7/8/10) and XXX is the Oak version you have installed in the Arudino IDE Boards Manager (Tools menu -> Board -> Boards Manager...) Most likely, you have version 1.0.1.
  • Rebuild your sketch in the Arduino IDE. Boards Manager will still say version 1.0.1, but it will use the copied 1.0.4 beta files.

To go back to 1.0.1, use the Arudino IDE Boards Manager (Tools menu -> Board -> Boards Manager...) to remove the installed version, then reinstall it (or whatever version you want).

saperlot

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2016, 10:27:18 am »
Please bring back 1.02. So far i had no issues.
Some minutes ago i just wanted to bring another Oak to life with my app, but as i see now, Eric just dropped 1.02 and probably every user out there who had 1.02 installed is now unable to flash.

It is also not possible to just load 1.01 thru the Arduino Menu.

Very disappointing, this move.... make me a bit angry, to be honest.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:35:13 am by saperlot »

DrJFM

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2016, 11:24:30 am »

• Copy the contents of the OakCore-restore-ota-blink directory inside the zip over the files found at APP_DATA\Arduino15\packages\digistump\hardware\oak\XXX, where APP_DATA is where your system keeps the Arduino data (usually C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming on Win 7/8/10) and XXX is the Oak version you have installed in the Arudino IDE Boards Manager (Tools menu -> Board -> Boards Manager...) Most likely, you have version 1.0.1.

Wanted to try your beta, but seems to be a change in description of oak boards in .json config or boards txt files.  I keep getting this error:

Code: [Select]
Board oak1 (platform oak, package digistump) is unknown

Error compiling for board Oak by Digistump (Pin 1 Safe Mode - Default).

when I try and compile a sketch that worked on 1.0.3 before pull.

Can you tell me which file/where to modify the "name" of the Oak  so I can get it to compile fooling IDE into thinking I have 1.0.1 with your 1.0.4 replacing it.  Or was there a file I should have deleted from 1.0.1 directory before I copied your files it?  I just copied and said to replace all files.

Thanks James

kh

• OakTerm developer
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2016, 12:02:13 pm »
Can you tell me which file/where to modify the "name" of the Oak  so I can get it to compile fooling IDE into thinking I have 1.0.1 with your 1.0.4 replacing it.  Or was there a file I should have deleted from 1.0.1 directory before I copied your files it?  I just copied and said to replace all files.

Sorry for the ambiguity. I thought that copy and replace all would do the trick, but I actually deleted everything in the 1.0.1 directory before replacing with the contents of the zip (well, I git cloned the repo there, but it achieves the same thing).

Try deleting the contents of 1.0.1 before copying there. If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll investigate further.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:04:06 pm by kh »

kh

• OakTerm developer
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2016, 08:46:22 pm »
...probably every user out there who had 1.02 installed is now unable to flash.

It is also not possible to just load 1.01 thru the Arduino Menu.

Hi @saperlot, I understand your frustration. Are you saying that when you go back to 1.0.1 via the Arduino IDE boards manager, it gives an error when you try to flash? Or something else?

In the Arduino IDE, you should be able to load 1.0.1 (or 1.0.0) by going to the Tools menu->Board: ...->Boards Manager... and then scrolling to the bottom (see the screenshot attached). If you don't see any Digistump options, make sure you have the Boards Manager URL set under File menu->Preferences. See here for instructions. Let us know if this doesn't work and we'll do our best to help you out.

If you wish, you should also be able to try 1.0.4 beta by following the instructions in my post above.

PeterF

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 01:08:06 am »
Saperlot won't have rolled back to 1.01. There is a big issue in the Arduino IDE boards manager in that when you remove a board version from the json file, if you had previously had that version installed, it stops working. Hence, for anyone who updated to 1.0.2, when the ide next auto-updates all the boards files, it suddenly goes, 'hey, there's no board package here' (the "Board oak1 (platform oak, package digistump) is unknown" message)... and basically you are up the creek unless you know what is going on.

When that happens, you go into the board manager, remove that offending board/version, and then you install whatever version you can (1.0.1 in this instance... unless you do the beta test 1.0.4).