Author Topic: Firmware 1.0.2 kills my oaks Wifi and sketches  (Read 18507 times)

lopemac

Firmware 1.0.2 kills my oaks Wifi and sketches
« on: June 15, 2016, 04:25:01 am »
I installed the 1.0.2 firmware onto my oak using Arduino 1.6.5 for Mac and the wifi connection became erratic on my oak and a rotary encoder sketch that was working before became very unusable. I installed ver 1.0.1 and the problems went away. The oak started working properly. I tried 1.0.2 again, but I had the same bad results. Have other users had this problem?

mikekgr

Re: Firmware 1.0.2 kills my oaks Wifi and sketches
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 04:46:52 am »
Dear friend,
sorry to say that this is my experience to my 4 Oak's when updated to 1.0.2 firmware with much different "host" configuration than yours: Windows 7 64, Arduino 1.6.{7,8,9} !
Something ware bad there inside the last update of 1.0.2 ...
At the moment I stopped all and I been waiting for a new release. I was so badly disappointed that I did not even report it...
So I know what do you feel...

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

lopemac

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 09:30:49 am »
Well, now I know it's not just me. I'm glad it's possible to revert to old firmwares. I had skipped over 1.0.1 to try 1.0.2 and I'm glad 1.0.1 is working for me. Hopefully the next update will be better.

PeterF

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 04:54:41 pm »
I haven't had quite as bad an experience as you guys when I updated one of my Oaks to 1.0.2, but something certainly with amok... it become a lot less responsive to OTA updates, and needed to be put into safe mode to reliably update. I knew there was some sort of issue though, due to a few other comments, so my main units are still with 1.0.1. I really do like the OakTerm functionality that was introduced with 1.0.2, and hopefully that isn't the root of the issue!

tcarleton

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 03:24:33 pm »
Question:  How are you getting these specific firmware revisions?  I have 5 oaks that I'm trying to get working again (I had them all working on pre-1.0 but they've been set aside for a while).

I tried going through the serial firmware loads but apparently now it forces a 1.02 download? which when that fails directs me to a page to put the firmware I just loaded back on and am anxious to avoid that process x5.

lopemac

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »
The firmware versions can be installed using the Arduino application by going into the board manager section and selecting the firmware version for Oak by Digistump. The versions automatically show up and you just select the one you want to install. When you upload code the version you select installs on the oak. If you go the serial route then you lose the ability to use wifi uploading of code. I had a very hard time getting the first update onto an oak and serial worked but it's not ideal. I tried updating another oak to the first released firmware and it took a couple of tries but it finally worked. Definitely not easy doing the first updates on these oaks.

PeterF

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 01:38:10 am »
tcarleton is probably referring to the serial update process (not to be confused with serial upload!!), whereby you grab the latest firmware from the digistump server, which then forces you to use 1.0.2. You don't loose the ability to do OTA updates, it's just more awkward unless you are updating several units and have wifi or internet issues. When you do an OTA upload via the Arduino IDE, the version of the boards package (which you can choose) will determine what version of the OAK firmware will end up on your Oak, as it compiles it every time. The only thing that isn't affected is the safe mode firmware, which remains at the version that was live when you commissioned the Oak, or when you last did an OakRestore. Erik is looking at making it so the Particle update process can also update the safe mode firmware automatically.

emardee

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 03:03:27 pm »
Has anyone reported these problems to Erik? I haven't seen him around the forums, but if there are problems with latest firmware, he ought to know....

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 01:08:40 am »
Well I regret not seeing this sooner - I have been away from most things Digistump besides keeping orders shipping and emails answered, as time has been very limited with helping to care for our 2 year old and newborn - now 2 months old - who has had a bit of a rough start - but is healthy none the less.

I just pushed 1.0.3 with some fixes by @kh, I think these might address the issues people were seeing here, but if anyone can test (because 1.0.2 has worked fine for me) I'd very much appreciate the feedback, and I will check back here to see it

Thanks!

pippin88

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 02:36:15 am »
When I try to download 1.0.3 via arduino IDE (1.6.5r2 or 1.6.9) I get: Invalid archive: it must contain a single root folder

mikekgr

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 03:41:33 am »
When I try to download 1.0.3 via arduino IDE (1.6.5r2 or 1.6.9) I get: Invalid archive: it must contain a single root folder

same happened to me!
Any workaround or solution?

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 10:04:51 am »
Should work now - sorry about that!

aztorell

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 06:02:20 pm »
Here's what I find with 1.0.3, using the Start example.  This blinks an LED, with a two second rep rate.

When I first program the Oak, the sketch runs fine; that is, it has a 2 second rep rate.

When I power off and on, it takes many seconds (32 or so) to boot, then blinks the LED, but there is a 6 second rep rate.  I put yield() statements before the two delays, but that has no effect.

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(1, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
 yield();
 delay(1000);               // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(1, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  yield();
  delay(1000);               // wait for a second
}

I also note when reflashing it takes a long time.  Rebooting times out (the dots stop being printed).
I can cycle the power, and it boots successfully and works (slowly).
Cutting the delays down to 500 each makes no difference at first, but after a few minutes it runs at speed.

The board manager says I have 1.03, but when the compiler starts, it prints: OakCLI tool version 1.0.2

PeterF

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 03:23:56 am »
Should work now - sorry about that!

Um Erik... did you break it again?  :P :P :o

I was about to update, and can't update to 1.0.2 and 1.0.3, but now realise this is deliberate - you've reverted to 1.0.1 being the latest whilst debugging 1.0.2 & 1.0.3.

For anyone wondering how I know... it's not that I have a secret direct line to Erik ( ;D ) - it's what Erik said the revert was for on the github repo for the board manager json file;)

DrJFM

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 11:30:39 am »
Thanks, PeterF

I will check the GitHub myself in the future.  Yesterdays good code doesn't run today  - I was not having issues w 1.0.3 (or 1.0.2 for that matter).  If it is any value -- since I was running OK -- I had done a serial (non-OTA) restore after a previous disaster-- perhaps I got some slightly different firmware state after serial Flash and first OTA from that.

Hopefully we will have a working (1.0.4?) version soon.

James