Author Topic: Which Arduino IDE should I use, there is no 1.6.5r2  (Read 1993 times)

malaire

Which Arduino IDE should I use, there is no 1.6.5r2
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:13:30 am »
http://digistump.com/wiki/oak/tutorials/arduino says that I should use 1.6.5r2 but that is not available, so which version should I use?

Also that tutorial says to select "Oak by Digistump" from Boards-menu, but there are 3 choices. Which one should I use?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:30:54 am by malaire »

defragster

Re: Which Arduino IDE should I use, there is no 1.6.5r2
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 12:10:37 pm »
I used IDE 1.6.8 to work and I assume many others are now too.  It seems one was marked SAFE MODE and perhaps DEFAULT if you are doing board selection after installing the JSON and boards manager install.  SAFE MODE will have the OAK skip user code in the event of a bad sketch per the wiki and would be good to have during development for sure.

DIY_glenn

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:22:56 pm »
I think I used the 1.6.9 hourly build when I tested my Oak - no problems.

PeterF

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 02:51:14 am »
I also use 1.6.8 regularly without any issues. If you wanted to go back to 1.6.5, the updated 1.6.5r5 would be fine, as the r5 simply indicates there was a minor change made as something found wrong with the previous release available for download - the IDE won't be different in any way. I have also tried the Arduino 1.6.9 nightly for other reasons related to FTDI Arduino programming, and can report that it fixes some major issues with 1.6.8 in that area. Nothing that would affect the Oak.

The Safe Mode and Default bits defragster are referring to are in the board menu, and related to whether (when in default mode) the Oak will automatically fall back to safe mode if the Oak fails to see the wireless network for more than a minute or so, or will only go into safe mode when P1 is GNDed on power on (manual config) or if there is no safe mode (advanced - use with caution!)