Author Topic: digiUSB or digiCDC help for a noob on a Digispark? --SOLVED--  (Read 3903 times)

DancesWithRobots

I've managed to get a Digispark working on my Linux box (Mint 17.3).  I'm using Arduino IDE 1.6.8 with the proper board installed.  I can upload sketches and I've even gotten neopixel strandtest to work.

What I can't figure out is how to talk to it.  I've gotten digikeyboard to type out, so I know there must be some sort of serial comm going on.

But when I try to get digiUSB/echo or digiCDC/echo working, I'm at a loss.

Can someone give me a short walk through as to what to do once the sketch is loaded?  I've tried connecting via CuteCom, but I get an error "Could not open /dev/ttyUSB0" when I try to connect.  There must be some fundamental gap in my understanding of this.

Ulitimately, I want to use Python running on a RasPi to send commands to the Digispark to control a Neopixel hanging off of it.  But for now I'll settle for a simple loopback.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 06:40:24 am by DancesWithRobots »

Ralf

Re: digiUSB or digiCDC help for a noob on a Digispark?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 01:19:03 am »
Hi,

the device's name is not "/dev/ttyUSB0", but "/dev/ttyACM0". You will see what the digispark is doing, when you open a terminal and type in "tail -f /var/log messages". May be it's  "sudo tail -f /var/log messages"; I am not familiar with Mint and Ubuntu.

But the DigiCDC lib is quite an ugly workaround. It's slow, and it depends on the hardware (cable, hub and so on), if it will work at all.

There are quite a few posts in this forum dealing with problems using DigiCDC.

Ralf

DancesWithRobots

Re: digiUSB or digiCDC help for a noob on a Digispark?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 06:36:16 am »
Thank you for your reply.  I got the /dev/tty/USB0 from the bottom of the Arduino IDE which says "Digispark (default 16.5 mhz) on  /dev/ttyUSB0" which is the only way I have of knowing what port is in use since the "port" option under tools is grayed out.  When I first got into Arduino microcontrollers, I used to be able to determine the port under tools, and it was reported as "/dev/TTYS0".  Lately on my newer boards I've been seeing "/dev/ttyACM0" like you said.  BUT--apparently, you are right, because I just tried out  "/dev/ttyACM0" on CuteCom, and it connected.  Sincere gratitude and much of it.  I think I can take it from here.

OBTW, Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian (Which you probably knew.)  I prefer the more traditional window and menu layout of Mint, rather than the sidebar thingy on Ubuntu.

Thanks again.

Ralf

Re: digiUSB or digiCDC help for a noob on a Digispark? --SOLVED--
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 04:33:27 am »
You're welcome!