Author Topic: Repeated failures to do first update  (Read 7883 times)

nelsonsilvafilho

Re: Repeated failures to do first update
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 12:28:06 pm »
try: sudo ./oakupsrv

defragster

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 06:05:59 pm »
@defragster: I tried the wired connection with the local server, but that made no difference.

That is unfortunate - I was hoping to see it be the easy way forward.  For me it was much better LOCAL than WWW would have been after they all failed once.

My BETA and 4 units went easy.  There were two I had to restart the server and try again - I was ready to give up on them and send back to Digistump - even sent the email - then setup and did the same thing after moving my USB cable holding the OAK to have a bit better line to my router.  I think it took the pin 1 to GND to actually wake the one unit.

I have Generic ESP-12E and some Tindie custom ESP units I have programmed by wire - in fact I mount then through a Teensy_3.2 and made a Proxy sketch that feeds the USB out serially to the attached units as needed to get them up to speed on Arduino_OTA that works really well.  The OTA from Arduino on sketch 310KB is under 10 seconds versus 36 seconds for the serial wired upload.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 03:28:43 pm by defragster »

gspadari

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 05:23:28 pm »
I've notice that Oak can only connect to Legacy wireless mode and not N mode. Also, if you use a 64 hex as the key, it doesn't work. All tests I've done, were using WPA2-PSK on a OpenWRT router (DLink DIR-600 and TP-Link TL-WA850RE v1)

Also pay attention on https://dashboard.particle.io/ because you can see the "Last Connection" column to notice that the Oak were connected sometime. Also, if the ID dot is blue, means it's connected right now. Grey means it's disconnected.

ScottM

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 05:14:06 pm »
I bought a 10 pack of Oaks on Kickstarter and so far, I have tried to get three of them up and running with no success. This is so very disappointing. They seem to fail at the point after I have selected the wifi connection I want them to connect to and the message on screen says "Saving settings to your device". I am in the basement and my Bell Fibe (Sagecom) router is 2 floors above me. If that isn't good enough, I also have a Dlink wifi extender in the basement next to me as an alternate access point. I've tried using both to no avail.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:23:50 am by ScottM »

defragster

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 05:23:21 pm »
@ScottM - I got my six - all failed initial update and registration - I resorted to the LOCAL server update method and had very little grief on those 6 (except 2) and also my 7th BETA unit that was on old code.  Since you have 10 to do I can only hope you can try this and have the luck - and faster updates - that I did. 

http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,2103.msg9700.html#msg9700
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:27:54 pm by defragster »

emardee

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 06:13:29 pm »
I think there are two separate places for connection problems to be with .... with the internet connection... or with the wifi connection.

The local server will only mainly solve issues with the internet connection. However if the problem is with the wifi part of your connection, then the local server probably won't help you.

Therefore if you have definite fringe setup with your wifi, you might be best to optimise the wifi setup before investigating local server, as this is more likely to solve your particular problem.

However, if you've already got the best wifi setup you can achieve, it can't harm to try a local server next anyway.... and I'm sure that many cases both elements (wifi and internet) are contributing to the problem, so local server might allow you to get the best out of a fringe wifi setup etc.

defragster

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 06:35:37 pm »
Indeed - this isn't understood to a single point of failure.  Perhaps I was lucky the LOCAL worked for me - I did 7 OAKS - but only one case.

I didn't have to edit or modify my WiFi behavior (though my initial WWW failures had the OAKS much closer to the same router/SSID).  But going local (if it works as it did for me) - as long as the server is wired - should eliminate one whole source of server supply problems without adding any new ones. It should also run more deterministically with local server bits uploading - and that might allow the WiFi to be better fed.

Due to my location - I know my BroadBand is suspect (won't run an AT&T microcell) - it is a WiFi/microwave 13 mile link for 4Mbit/sec service - that is oddly throttled. But after the OAK initial Update I had no problems doing Particle sketch uploads from Arduino - except one unit I had to re-flash the Server Update before it worked - and then it worked right. I also know my house is WiFi noisy & opaque and I have a box of routers that failed to be usable in 6-12 months.

emardee

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 06:55:34 pm »
yeah, yours sounds like it was more of an internet problem, so local server was definitely the right choice for you. ScottM sounds like he has a less than ideal wifi setup, so I'd recommend starting there with making changes.

Scott, can you take the oak upstairs to update it? or even moving to other locations in the basement might help you get a stronger signal?

Or could you run the firmware update at a friend's house?

Or Some people found updating via mobile phone acting as a hotspot for their mobile data worked for them.

Basically there are plenty of tricks you can try yet, don't give up, I'm sure you get there. And once the firmware is loaded, typically you'll have no more wifi issues... so just get it in by whatever means works best.

Good luck.

ScottM

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 11:06:44 am »
I have tried a number of tricks but still no success. I tried the local method, tried using my phone as a wifi hotspot and tried bring the OAKS to work to use my wifi network there. Still no success. I think I will try loading the update over serial. Am I correct that I can use my 3.3V FTDI cable? If so, I will try it this weekend.

driffster

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2016, 10:30:05 am »
I have tried a number of tricks but still no success. I tried the local method, tried using my phone as a wifi hotspot and tried bring the OAKS to work to use my wifi network there. Still no success. I think I will try loading the update over serial. Am I correct that I can use my 3.3V FTDI cable? If so, I will try it this weekend.

Yes that will work, good luck!

ScottM

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2016, 01:31:40 pm »
I installed Python but can't seem to get PySerial to install. I downloaded the Windows installer (I have Windows 7) and I get the an error message "The program can't start because asi-ms-win-crt-string-|1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem".  I tried installing as administrator but that didn't work either.

PeterF

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2016, 09:14:02 pm »
Try (re)installing the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 - it seems that file may be related to that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:26:36 pm by pfeerick »

defragster

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 03:40:56 pm »
I put Python 2.7 on my Windows10 machine and didn't have serial and couldn't find an installer to work.

I found this and I put a note in the Wiki somewhere, but I don't find it? Just notes for doing it on Linux.

Looking again at the web I think this works from the command line:
C:\Users\defragster>python
Python 2.7.11 (v2.7.11:6d1b6a68f775, Dec  5 2015, 20:40:30) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import serial
>>>