Author Topic: 4 Oaks not a single one works  (Read 1936 times)

John99041

4 Oaks not a single one works
« on: April 01, 2016, 01:30:05 pm »
So my oaks and all of my add ones turned up today at long last. Couldn't update the firmware on the first oak over the internet so used the local server method, everything looked good at this point. Firmware updated, oak registered on the particle cloud but wouldn't exit config mode (fast blink sequence and publishes 'Config Mode' to the cloud), can't cash with new code and still broadcasting its own
Second Oak won't connect to the wifi at all, changed wifi channels, reduced connection speed, changed SSID, nothing helps.

Third oak updated via the local server but then fails to connect to the Internet so won't register the with Particle cloud.

Forth Oak is the same as the first, stuck in config mode.

So at this point I've got $160 worth of hardware that I can't do a thing with. For kit that's months late I had expected better, at this point disappointed doesn't come close to how I feel about the Oaks, I can't help but feel let down.

Would appreciate any tips on how to get things working before I throw in the towel and give up completely

Thanks

John

digistump

• Administrator
Re: 4 Oaks not a single one works
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 03:57:06 pm »
After the first update they should be in config mode - when you try to upload code (the most basic blink sketch to start) to it what happens?

Sounds like the third is maybe failing to claim itself on the Particle cloud (we've had some issues with this, which we've just worked out with Particle) - here is a tutorial for how to get past that stage: http://digistump.com/wiki/oak/tutorials/manual_claim

The second could be a dud (we haven't had many reports of them, but they happen and we're happy to send a new one).

John99041

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:06:31 pm »
Thanks for the reply. All efforts to flash were failing on each of the oaks that were configured. It turns out that they didn't like the default flash method from the arduino IDE (Pin 1 Safe Mode - Default) only when using the no safe mode option can I flash them, however that seems to work every time and is plenty fast enough.

The Oak that would not connect to my wifi still won't, I've also tried to connect it to a hotspot on my phone, I can see the connection attempt for a split second but its never successful so it seems that it may be DOA as you suggest.

I'll send an email to support to see if I can get it sorted / replaced.

Thanks
John

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 12:44:07 pm »
John can you post what error you are getting when you try to flash with safemode pin 1 - no one else has had any issue with that, so I'm wondering if something is going on specific to your system that is causing that.

I'll respond to your email about the dead one.