Author Topic: Oak failure before generating encryption keys?  (Read 1445 times)

MrGlass

Oak failure before generating encryption keys?
« on: March 20, 2016, 07:53:43 am »
Hello! I was quite excited last night to see that things were officially ready for people to start using their oaks. I pulled mine out and started reading through the first time tutorial, and immediately ran into trouble.

The page states that when first powered on the oak will have 2 steady light while generating encryption keys, and after ~30 seconds one of the lights will begin to blink. So far (about 15 minutes) I just have 2 steady lights. I also checked to see if there is an acorn SSID being broadcast, but I can't find any.

What should I do? Since I still have 2 steady lights, I figure it got stuck before or during the "generating encryption keys" step. Is this a general failure of my oak?

SteveT

Re: Oak failure before generating encryption keys?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:24:15 am »
I have the same situation. Only one light comes on. No blinking status light.

Whoops - Never mind it took about 15-20 minutes, but now the status LED is blinking. Gonna move on to the next steps.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:30:54 am by SteveT »

MrGlass

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 10:07:37 am »
I had mine plugged in for over an hour, just noticed its finally blinking. Odd.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 01:45:38 pm »
Wow thats a long key generation sequence! I apologize you experienced this, in my testing of hundreds if not thousands of key generation sequences I never saw any take more than about 3 minutes - there are various points at which it can fail (insufficient randomness, power interruption, etc) that can cause it to take longer, this may be a power issue since the CPU on the Oak runs at full 100% to do this, but now that it is a one time process so it should not come up again.