Author Topic: Poll of Success/Failure Experiences of v1.0.0  (Read 19809 times)

emardee

Poll of Success/Failure Experiences of v1.0.0
« on: March 14, 2016, 09:36:30 pm »
Please only use this thread for Poll answers. Put your questions or problems in their own thread elsewhere. (You can put a link to your problem thread from your Poll answer here if you want, but please keep this thread clean! Thanks)

POLL - Have you managed to install and use firmware v1.0.0 yet?
  • Success - It went just fine. = 10 Person & 22 Oaks
  • Eventual Success - I got there in the end, but it took some messing around = 19 People & 57 Oaks
  • Particle Failure - Firmware installed fine, but having trouble connecting with particle = 7 People & 10 Oaks
  • Firmware Failure - I have played around, but still haven't got firmware to install at all = 7 People & 13 Oaks
  • Not Tried Yet - I'm waiting for others to test it before I try. = 4 People & 18 Oaks
Total Reports: = 35 People & 120 Oaks

I wanted to gather an overview of people's experiences with v1.0.0 (eg update v6) in one place, so the community (and Erik) can see at a glance how the new firmware is doing overall. I figured this was best done as a POLL, but it seems I can't post one. :(

So I will run it as close to a poll as possible using text! Please only answer the main question in this thread (without pouring out your woes!) so we keep the thread clean for assessing people's success / failure with v1.0.0 (just that version please, NOT experiences with v0.9.x in this thread).

I will then try to update the thread with a tally periodically, so we keep track of the changing status.

If you want to reference your experience in more detail, create a separate thread for it, and then put just a link to that thread to more info under your POLL answer.

If you've tried multiple OAKs please give a tally of each: eg Success = 3 OAKs;   Firmware Failure = 2 OAKs;   Eventual Success = 4 OAKs;  Particle Failure = 1 Oak

If you have a future update to change your reply, post it as a new reply, but mark it as an "update", with your new answer, and I'll remove your old answers from the tally, when I next summarise.

Firmware is now officially released.

Update:
I've added a new answer "Particle Failure" for those that have the firmware correctly loaded, but having issues connecting to Particle (either at all, or intermittent problems loading a sketch).
To avoid confusion with this new answer, I've also re-named two previous answers:

I changed the title of "Partial Success" to be now called "Eventual Success", which is a better name for people who got there in the end but had some faff in the process (and avoid confusion for those with Particle Issues instead). Hopefully this makes it clear it this option is only for those with a fully working Oak on Particle.

For the same reason, I've renamed "Failure" to be now called "Firmware Failure".

I've done my best to reallocate the answers into these new categories so that the old fail and partial answers no longer contain the Particle Failures. This should hopefully show clearer the distinction between Success: (Either with or without troubles getting there) and Failure: (Either due to Particle Issues or Firmware failed to load).

Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:09:12 am by emardee »

emardee

Re: Poll of Success/Failure Experiences of v1.0.0
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:41:01 pm »
Not Tried Yet = 10 OAKs

Update:
Success = 7 Oaks
Particle Fail = 0 Oak
Not Tried Yet = 3 Oaks
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:01:09 pm by emardee »

PeterF

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 12:55:49 am »
As of 15/03, 5PM local time: 4 - Not Tried Yet.
---
I will probably try to do the update tonight or tomorrow and will update this post with my revised response.
---
After a night off due to a blown up power supply  :'(

17/03, Number 1 (of 5), updated via official server after one retry, so 1 Success
17/03, Number 2 (of 5), had issues ('NO CLIENT' or 'SOCKET TIMEOUT') with official server, updated 1st go with jldeon's server (online, not local), so 2 Partial Success
17/03, Number 3 (of 5), had issues ('NO CLIENT' or 'SOCKET TIMEOUT') with official server, updated 1st go with jldeon's server (online, not local), so 2 Partial Success
18/03, Number 4 (of 5), had issues ('NO CLIENT' or 'SOCKET TIMEOUT' and wdt resets) with official server, updated 1st go with jldeon's server (online, not local), so 2 Partial Success
19/03, Number 5 (of 5), had issues ('NO CLIENT' or 'SOCKET TIMEOUT') with official server, updated 1st go with jldeon's server (online, not local), so 2 Partial Success

All five updated Oaks appear on the Particle dashboard, and all work properly when programmed. The forth (which had disconnect/reconnect issues with 0.9.5) no longer plays up.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:02:06 am by pfeerick »

jwhendy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 11:24:31 am »
Out of curiosity, can someone explain how this is done? I still see the procedure for 0.9.5 on git. If I just revisit the SoftAP site and re-run the process, will it detect I'm on 0.9.5 and automatically try to re-flash? Or is everyone here talking about something else?

Edit: now I'm thinking this is just setting up for the trials/poll and v1.0 is not actually out...

Solarflare

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 03:12:29 pm »
Partial Success - 5 OAKs after several tries

peabo

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:17:40 pm »
Fail 2 Oaks  -  :'( Can't upload simple Blink sketch OTA Using V1.0.0

get the following error:-
Code: [Select]
Sending file to cloud, to flash OakDigistump_1 (Device ID: xxxx x x xxxxx x x x x x) (Device ID: OakDigistump_1)
Flashing................
Error : Oak is back online before flash sucessfull.

Seem to have issues with the Oaks disconnecting from particle.

ximon

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 12:40:24 pm »
I'm getting the same "Error : Oak is back online before flash successfull." error too

Edit:  After reconnecting using the SoftAP page i managed to flash a sketch, having problems with connectivity though...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 01:02:05 pm by ximon »

Grisbane

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 01:24:05 pm »
I was finally able to get 1 out of 2 Oaks to update. 

The one that did update worked on the first "Retry".  The other Oak would not update after several attempts.

No idea what was different.

Now to figure out how to program the one that did work!

driffster

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 04:52:12 pm »
10 oaks: 2 success (first or second try), 6 partial success (usually just repeated process a few more time), 2 failed (updated but still serious connectivity issues that I can't fix).

jwhendy

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 06:14:19 pm »
Could someone clarify how this is accomplished? I've got serial programming working via an Arduino, but don't quite follow the firmware flashing. I figured this would be similar to the procedure for OakRestore, but the contents look like an Arduino library. Am I supposed to upload something, or flash over UART?

gspadari

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2016, 07:04:21 pm »
Not Tried Yet = 10 OAKs

PeterF

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:28:56 pm »
@jwhendy, can't say for certain... am currently making it up as I go... but... so far it looks like.

On you computer:
  • Completely remove the Oak core from your Arduino IDE - in my case with Arduino 1.6.7 (1.6.5 will be AppData\Roaming instead of AppData\Local) - went to "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\digistump\hardware" and deleted the Oak folder.
  • To get around a Arduino bug in installing new updates, go to the "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Arduino15\staging" folder either delete all the files as the IDE will simply download them again if it needs them, or specifically win32-xtensa, esptool2, mkspiffs, oakcli and core-0.9.x
  • Install the Oak core again via the Arduino Board Manager - it will now be Version 1.0.0!!!

On your Oak (this is what I have to do now):
  • Do an OakRestore, to reset your Oak to factory defaults
  • Get your Oak connected to your Wifi again via SoftAP, and let it do a firmware update. If it is stubborn, use jldeon's local server package
  • Hopefully your Oak will now be running system version 6!!

Pete

PeterF

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 01:59:00 am »
I'll just break this out into another topic, so not to clutter this poll/thread.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 02:10:27 am by pfeerick »

jwhendy

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 05:43:02 am »
Whoops... Sorry and good point. I'll move my stuff over there.

jwhendy

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 09:01:10 am »
Now that I understand v1.0.0 is just doing the same SoftAP process described for 0.9.5, I realized I'm 2 successes out of 2.