Author Topic: Poll of Success/Failure Experiences of v1.0.0  (Read 18496 times)

dougal

Re: Poll of Success/Failure Experiences of v1.0.0
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 06:59:08 am »
Eventual success: 2 Oak
Particle Failure: 1 Oak

Third Oak, status unknown. I've tried it previously, and I think it might be bricked (need serial programming), because last time I powered it up, I got no blinking LED and no Soft AP. But I'm going to give it another try after I work on number 2 some more.

UPDATE: I was able to claim Oak #2 by going to my Particle dashboard, viewing devices, clicking "Add a device", and entering the Device ID (the one reported in the 'id' field when you visit the '/info' url on your OAK device).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 07:47:33 am by dougal »

nelsonsilvafilho

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2016, 07:31:29 am »
Serial Firmware Update: 1 Oak
OTA Firmware Update: 0 Oak
Particle Failure: 1 Oak

lawrie

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 09:05:15 am »
Firmware Failure = 2 OAKs

bnovaz

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 12:19:12 pm »
After spending 1/2 day trying to use multiple (fast/slow svr) online updates and trying different router settings & various tips found in this forum, I could not get the initial update to work.   Finally I tried the local update server (http://digistump.com/wiki/oak/tutorials/local_update).  Using that, all four of my Oaks updated first time with no problems.  This is with my router set to it's normal settings.  Interesting that using the same router (& settings), power supply and proximity of the oak to the router, the local server update works fine, but the online update server does not.

Following that I used the Arduino method (& OakCLI tool) of loading a first sketch to all four Oaks successfully.

Poll:
Online Update Fail: 4 Oaks
Local Svr Update Success: 4 Oaks
Particle Failure: 0 Oaks  (all 4 worked fine)

Note regarding the Windows version of the local update server - I have Windows 10 and the tool fails with a certificate failure (running as administrator).  I don't know how to get around that, so I used the linux version which worked fine.

defragster

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 12:34:41 pm »
Poll:
Beta Board During Beta success: 1 ( particle reg and IDE program )
Online Update Fail: 6 Oaks
Local Svr Update Success: 7 Oaks ( redid the BETA too! )
Particle Failure: 0 Oaks  (all 7 worked fine)

IDE 1.6.8 : Programming success (After Local Update ) : 7 Oaks

My Success with http://digistump.com/wiki/oak/tutorials/local_update#local_update_tool [using Windows10 and Android Phone]:
http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,2103.msg9700.html#msg9700
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:36:41 pm by defragster »

nog3

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2016, 05:06:41 am »
Eventual Success:

I had 1 work fine during the beta with the serial pushed firmware 0.9.5.

The other 4 I've had to run the local update server because I couldn't get them to update from the oakota server on 4 different internet connections, all different internet provider services. Every other Oak backer I've spoken to in Australia is having the same issue, so I suspect it's an internet related issue.

digi_guy

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 10:15:17 am »
Managed to finally get my 2 oaks working, took a massive amount of trial and error.

Windows 10 laptop still won't connect directly to the oak AP, but tried that on both.
My phone would connect but failed to get things going, had to try that on both oaks.
I dug out an old android tablet that eventually got things started, but both devices failed to update on my main network. Tried that several times, then tried the slow server, then tried messing with my router.
Next I tried the manual server option, but that failed on my windows 10 laptop, so I dug an old laptop out of storage and managed to get it running enough to see that both oaks could get 3 maybe 4 of the update transfers before failing.
Then dug an old router out of storage, messed with the settings, use a lam cable to the laptop. This seemed like it was trying to work but still failed, on both oaks.
Finally as a hail-mary attemp I tried going back to the original digistump server, failed once, and worked on the second try.

All that was probably 6 hours of time, wasted in 180 second chunks between tries.

Now what???

jwhendy

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 10:58:37 am »
Suggestion: could the poll instructions be updated to more explicitly tell users to start separate threads for their update issues? There are a lot of detailed accounts of the update attempts coming in here, and I fear they'll just be lost since this isn't what this thread is for. This thread has a lot of activity and thus it will probably keep getting attention from new users wanting to get help.

I could also see a thread specifically for update issues, but that could get complicated. I was going to suggest at least asking users to list out specifically which step during the first connect fails, as the descriptions I see are ambiguous. For example, "My phone would connect but failed to get things going..." Then I re-read the original post and see users are already advised to start new threads.

chad

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2016, 02:30:24 pm »
Starting with 5 Oaks:

1x Oak - Eventual Success (Had to reset because of Beta FW and new update had trouble twice before final success)
1x Oak - Success (worked perfectly the first time)

3x Oaks - Not tried yet (haven't needed to use them yet)

Mr.B

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 02:11:57 am »
10 Oaks from the Kickstarter campaign. Waited patiently for the V1 firmware release before I powered anything up.
6 have been successfully updated OTA after much pain... ended up using my cell phone WiFi hotspot functionality to bypass my home router.
Even then all of them took 3 attempts, some of them as much as 6 attempts.
2 not tried yet.
2 I think are bricked after unsuccessfully trying serial UART update. I will come back to them later.

russel2512

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 08:20:04 am »
Eventual Success - Oak

Nevyn

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2016, 09:04:55 am »
I have two Oaks and both registered OK with Particle.

Both failed the OTA firmware update so I moved on to the local server update.  Both failed this as well.

I have a 3.3V serial adapter and used this on both successfully.

Post update, I find that flashing new software is very hit and miss OTA but 100% successful over serial so I'm sticking with that for now.

FYI - my development is a Mac with the latest OS installed and fully patched.

Regards,
Mark

T-Roy

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2016, 04:32:22 pm »
Eventual success with 3 oaks registered and able to upload simple code to.

shiny

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »
4 oak = success (finally!, spent all today on it)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 01:03:44 am by shiny »

jhitze

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2016, 03:25:35 pm »
2 oaks, success on first upload for both.