Author Topic: Upgraded to 0.9.5-"Board oak1 platform oak package digistump is unknown" [FIXED]  (Read 5322 times)

ripred

I had 0.9.3 installed and was working with the Arduino IDE (1.6.7) just yesterday.  Today I received Erik's email about the newer more stable 0.9.5 libraries and decided to try it out due to the reported OTA upload speeds. 

Surprisingly when I went to the Boards Manager in the IDE and selected "Updatable" I could see nothing.  Even more surprising was the fact that the IDE did not even show that ANY Oak libraries were installed at all.  My only option was to "Install" the "Contributed" Oak library support.  I selected this and it seemed to install correctly.

Afterwards I attempted to compile my existing (previously working fine) sketch and received the following error:

Board oak1 (platform oak, package digistump) is unknown
Error compiling.

I have not tried completely removing the Arduino15 folder (and below) and retrying but I must say this is most frustrating to continue to go back and forth between working fine and then several hours of research to find out how to get back to where I was. 

This is on a Mac OS X 10.11.3 Mac Pro.  Has anyone else experienced anything similar with the upgrade from 0.9.3 to 0.9.5?  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:06:28 pm by ripred »

gigawatts

I just came to this forum to report the exact same error. I had 0.9.4 installed, upgraded to 0.9.5, same exact error when trying to upload.
I even removed oak board config from the board manager, closed the IDE, restarted, added oak board support again, same thing.

I'm running Arduino IDE 1.6.7 on OS X. About to go try the upgrade on my linux machine to see what happens there.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 04:44:31 pm by gigawatts »

PeterF

I had the same problem on Windows, but thought I must have mucked up my Arduino installed. Fixed it by removing the Oak core using the board manager, and re-installing it again. I also deleted the oak-related package files from Arduino15/staging/packages (to make sure brand new versions were downloaded, but you may not need to do that.

I think Erik just deleted the old 0.9.3 from the digistump board manager file, rather than adding 0.9.5 as another version, thus defeating the update prompt that the Arduino IDE would normally give, and also nuking 0.9.3 if you had it installed still! ouch!

gigawatts

Thanks for the suggestion pfeerick.

I deleted pretty much anything with the word digistump or oak in it from my /Users/[user]/Library/Arduino15/ directory, including the stuff in staging and package_digistump_index*

That seemed to allow me to re-install 0.9.5 and compile without an issue.

Now I've got to work out an upload problem, but I'll save that for another thread.

ripred

Update:

I deleted all copies (versions) of the IDE, downloaded 1.6.7 from arduino.cc.  I updated the preferences to the correct URL and installed the 0.9.5 Oak libraries.  Most importantly I think is that I also performed an OakRestore using the latest available zip from gitbug.  Re-registered the Oak as per the arduino IDE wiki, and was then able to compile and re-program my sketches to the Oak. 

Summary: It's part of being a beta tester and I regret voicing my earlier frustration.  Had I read the latest digistump wiki carefully I would see that it plainly states that if you are updating from an earlier beta you must restore/re-register/update firmware.  I did and I'm back to operational.  Can attest that the OTA speed is noticeably faster than before.

Great job Erik.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:01:06 pm by ripred »

PeterF

Am sorry to hear it was a pain for you, but on the other hand... thanks for testing if you could simply upgrade the Arduino IDE core without doing an OakRestore for me... I wimped out and just did a OakRestore before letting the new 0.9.5 core near an Oak, whilst thinking the whole time "Do I really need to do this?!?" ;)

Blitzfx

I also skipped the oak restore . everything still runs fine, except for the multiple attempts to program it.

softAP still fails too many times though.

PeterF

Hey Blitzfx, is there any chance you can trick your Oak into going back into AP/config mode (Was it P1 to GND?), and checking your system version (unless you already know?) I'm just wondering if your Oak is still running system version 3 (0.9.3/4) or is now running system version 5 (0.9.5), as you didn't do an OakRestore?

Blitzfx

How do I check system version?

PeterF

There's a couple of ways. When you're connected to the ACORN-XXXXX AP, you can goto either http://192.168.0.1/system-version or http://192.168.0.1/info . It's also shown at the bottom of the page when you use the SoftAP config page.

Blitzfx

Well here it is:

http://puu.sh/nvHFo.png

ver 5

PeterF

Thanks for that. So maybe that means part of the auto-update system is working also, as if you didn't do an OakRestore, and simply updated your Arduino IDE core to 0.9.5, your Oak has somehow updated its system firmware. Nice!

ntewinkel

For future reference, this might be an easier solution:

I just ran into this issue too and found the answer in Digistump's troubleshooting guide:
http://digistump.com/wiki/oak/tutorials/troubleshooting

The Arduino IDE says “unknown board oak” or similar

Go to APPDATA/Arduino15 (APPDATA being where ever your system stores application data) and delete the pacakges/digistump folder, also delete any other files that have digistump in their name - restart the Arduino IDE and reinstall from the Boards Manager

On my Mac, I opened the Finder, chose "Go - Go To Folder" and typed in "~/library", where I then found the Arduino15 folder and was able to delete the digistump folder and files.

After that, reinstalling the board (using board manager) fixed the issue.

Cheers,
-Nico