Author Topic: Oaks not updating  (Read 23490 times)

jdeon

Re: Oaks not updating
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2016, 08:12:02 am »
Been trying to update my Oak using my router, no dice so far.  Been trying last night and this morning.  My internet is 200 mbit, and my router is running Advanced Tomato firmware, although most/all the settings are pretty stock.  I've tried disabling WPA and setting the network to B only, no improvement. 

Code: [Select]
ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

load 0x40100000, len 3632, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0xc0
load 0x3ffe8000, len 352, room 8
tail 8
chksum 0x82
csum 0x82

OakBoot v1 - N,BP,2

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

tail 0
chksum 0xc0
tail 8
chksum 0x82
csum 0x82

OakBoot v1 - N,BU,0

There's not much debug info here, so I don't know that it's getting that far in the update process.

I've got a total of 3 Oaks and a serial adapter.  I'm also a professional firmware developer (although I've never worked with this chip before and most of my experience is in C, not Processing).  I'm willing to try most anything and can give lots of debug help :) 

emardee

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2016, 01:48:47 pm »
I've got a total of 3 Oaks and a serial adapter.  I'm also a professional firmware developer (although I've never worked with this chip before and most of my experience is in C, not Processing).  I'm willing to try most anything and can give lots of debug help :) 

I'm sure Erik can use your help. Have you seen the github $1000 bounty with some testing Erik is happy to pay for?

exeng

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2016, 10:25:24 pm »
Not sure what thread to post this on (there are so many discussing update fails)...

Tried to update a second Oak to 0.9.5 and was getting multiple fails of the could not connect to the digistump server flavor (should have saved the serial output). In any case, I reset my router (leaving all it's original settings in place B/G 54mbps) and bang, the Oak updated on the very next try. Don't know if this is repeatable, but it's worth a try if you are continually failing updates.

Joelbear5

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2016, 10:44:31 pm »
I just spent 10 hours updating 3 Oaks and eventually had success on all 3. The first one took 3 tries on my router (Netgear C3700-100NAS), the second 2 would not update with my router (through 1 wall, about 20 ft away). It said it failed updating the firmware every time.

I decided to hot-spot my phone and try that. This time success. When I used the SoftAP to log into my phone's hot-spot, I noticed the Oak connects, then disconnects, then connects again. This time, the Oak took more than the 60 second count-down to update the firmware (about 63 seconds as judged by the fast blinky LED). After updating firmware successfully, I shut down the hot-spot, power-cycled the Oak, then it went into AP mode where I used the SoftAP again to change the SSID/password for the Oak AP list back to my house router, and it worked fine.

Question: Is the **connect, then disconnect, then connect** having issues with some of the routers? I assume my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) has a lot more processing power than my router, and had zero devices connected to it, while my router has about 6.

Mrb0y

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2016, 07:27:16 pm »
My oak updated with the OTA http://rawgit.com/digistump/OakSoftAP/master/config.html
I attempted this several times at different distances from a decent router with no connectivity issues. On the last successful attempt I had ran through the configuration procedure and after connecting to my Wi-Fi / internet the oak only rapid blinked for a moment then back to the slow blink. I thought another failed update. I power cycled the oak by unplugging it from the USB and reconnecting. Once powered on again the oak started the rapid flashing indicating the firmware update. It finished and then started the 3 slow blinks that it was online. I already had a particle account for other products so I checked my account and it showed an unnamed photon on the device list. I checked my router and the oak was connected. The odd thing was the acornxxxx Wi-Fi was also open and once connected it showed "soft AP setup" at 192.168.0.1. I went through the set up script and it checked my oak and told me that it was updated and ready to use. I did all of this from my Android tablet using the chrome browser and the particle.io app. Hope this information helps.

Z69

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 11:11:56 am »
I had my Oak working fine, just to find uploads failing again......
So i did the restore thing thinking that it has gone all wonky again....
No i get "SOCKET READ TIMEOUT" every time i try to update.

Changed my router to "B" , same. Here is the serial data and an attachment to show router trafic

START UPDATE ROM
WIFI
WIFI CONNECT
GO TO UPDATE
START UPDATE
HOST LOOKUP OK
PARSING HTTP HEADER
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
FILE LENGTH: 778096
START WRITING UPDATE - NO OUTPUT SHOULD BE EXPECTED FOR UP TO 120 SECONDS
./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+./+.SOCKET READ TIMEOUT
UPDATE FAILED

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

tail 0
chksum 0xc0
tail 8
chksum 0x82
csum 0x82

Any idea where i can look?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:16:49 am by Z69 »

pck

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2019, 10:30:09 pm »