Author Topic: OakSoftAP firmware update (possible advice)  (Read 2841 times)

exeng

OakSoftAP firmware update (possible advice)
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:16:20 pm »
Had to restore and reload firmware to my Oak. Failed many times while powered through USB (although I have successfully updated using USB power before). Decided to power through VIN using a 5V 750mA wall wart. Worked first time. ????

Don't know if this was the reason I finally got it to load but it's worth trying if you are continuously failing. BTW, it's an old wall wart that I cut the connector off and soldered
some pins onto so that I could insert them into the headers or breadboards. 5V and GND wires are clearly marked so I don't reverse polarity.

Worth a try if you have you been struggling to update firmware. Be interested in knowing if this will work for others.

exeng

Re: OakSoftAP firmware update (possible advice) DISREGARD
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:55:57 pm »
Not repeatable. Had to restore firmware again and the power via VIN did not work. Sorry for the distraction.

werner

Re: OakSoftAP firmware update (possible advice)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:07:09 am »
I presume hope you fed the 5V into the micro USB and not into the 3V3 Vcc of the Oak?  Good clean power is always a good thing.   However the Oak does not really draw much current and it regulates the 5V down to 3V3 anyway.   So even if the 5V is not very precise, it should not make that much of difference.

Could it perhaps simply be because you rebooted the Oak when you changed the power?   With my ones that struggled to initially set up, I sometimes unplugged the power cable before retrying and it usually worked first time after that.   Just saying this as another possibility.     

exeng

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:45:12 am »
I used the VIN labled [VIN]-[4.5-12V] in the Oak pinout diagram.

Still fighting it this morning. When it doesn't work the update either stops early (only a few rapid flashes) or when almost done (rapid flashing appears to be long enough) but doesn't quite make to the end.
Would love to know what's going on internally to cause the failures. Perhaps a dropped packet???? :(

werner

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 12:10:50 am »
Are you using the latest 0.9.3  version?  As I understand, if you do, then you have to first reset the Oak to default factory configuration and start all from scratch as you would with a brand new unit.