Author Topic: ESP8266WiFiMulti not in the 0.9.3 release  (Read 4502 times)

cpetito

ESP8266WiFiMulti not in the 0.9.3 release
« on: February 16, 2016, 07:26:43 am »
Several of my HTTP client test programs will not compile after upgrading to 0.9.3.

It seems that ESP8266WiFiMulti is not included in this latest release.

Should it be or is there alternative functionality that I should be using?

Thanks!

cpetito

Re: ESP8266WiFiMulti not in the 0.9.3 release
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:07:25 am »
Answered my own question.

In the 0.9.3 release we don't change to WiFi config via sketch.

Actually a good idea!  I had to un-brick my first OAK because I uploaded an HTTP client sketch and neglected to set  the UID and password!

werner

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:33:41 am »
I've been hesitant about switching to 0.9.3 since reading a couple of posts from people who had troubles with it.   Would you recommend it as safe to upgrade to, or should I just stick on with 0.9.2 for the moment?

cpetito

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 12:59:29 pm »
I have had no problems with 0.9.3.  On the plus side my OAK TFT now works.  As noted, any WIFI sketches no longer use ESP8266WiFiMulti to set up the configuration with credentials. 

I do feel that having the ability to re-flash the firmware is still a requirement.  I have a complex sketch that starts to run, but then throws a continuous fatal exception.  I'm not sure if there is any other recourse, but I simply re-flash the firmware and reconfigure.  On the plus side, the re-flashing / reconfig process is very straight forward and has worked reliably for me.

One suspicion that I have not verified: I'm not sure if serial programming via the Arduino IDE works under 0.9.3.  I was able to do this before, but now, it appears to me to go through the process, but the firmware is not flashed.  Perhaps something changed?  Take this with a grain of salt because I have not spent the time to verify.

Good luck!

werner

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 12:18:36 am »
Thank you for the re-assurance.  I think in that case I will also upgrade.

I'm not sure if serial programming via the Arduino IDE works under 0.9.3.  I was able to do this before

Ah, that is good to know that it "might" be possible.   Am I correct in saying that to do that, you basically do the same script as if unbricking an Oak, but of course replace the oaksetup_restore.bin file with your own compiled bin?  Or is there some specific trick how to do it?  I think I might have missed that bit of info.

cpetito

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 05:21:15 am »
I have confirmed that indeed with 0.9.3 you can program the OAK via a serial connection using the Arduino IDE selection Upload Using: "Serial (Expert Use Only - Requires Python)".

I have also used the unbrick tools to program my sketch and keep the WIFI configuration by using:

esptool --baud 115200 --port COMxx write_flash -fs 32m 0x2000 mySketch.bin

I'm on a Windows PC so I can use the esptool.exe, however the python script esptool.py with the same parameters also works.  The .bin file was created using the Arduino: Export compiled Binary.

The only drawback is to remember to ground OAK pin 2 and reset or power cycle and un-ground pin 2 before uploading the sketch.  And you do lose OTA programming until you reflash the firmware.

On the plus side, it's a faster programming and you know when it's done without looking at the blinking OAK led.

Good luck and have fun!

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 10:22:06 pm »
I have a complex sketch that starts to run, but then throws a continuous fatal exception.  I'm not sure if there is any other recourse, but I simply re-flash the firmware and reconfigure.  On the plus side, the re-flashing / reconfig process is very straight forward and has worked reliably for me.

I would love a copy of this sketch or bin file if you don't mind sharing it (I won't share/use/etc - I just am interested in any bin file that can do this, so I can ensure our failsafes can get you out of it) - if you don't mind sharing it please send it to support@digistump.com

Thanks!