Author Topic: SPARK-xxxx Security key  (Read 3036 times)

werner

SPARK-xxxx Security key
« on: February 09, 2016, 01:58:17 am »
Ok so I was successful to initially connect to my Oak board via WiFi and it even looked like it upgraded and allowed me upload my first Arduino example sketch.
But then I was unable to verify if the sketch was actually running or not, I decided to to start from scratch and do it all over again.

But now second time round my SPARK-xxxx network asks me for a security key.  I cannot skip this as the connect button remains "greyed out" until I enter a key.   But no matter what key I try, it does not want to accept it.  (I tried the key that I use for my particle login, but that one does not work)

Do anybody know what I need to enter for this security key to connect to SPARK-xxxx WiFi?

werner

Re: SPARK-xxxx Security key
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 03:00:23 am »
Update :  I properly confused a neighbours  Wifi access point (which was named SPAC-xxxx) with the Oak access point (which should be ACORN-xxxx)

After more investigation,  I think this particular Oak might be bricked.  It no longer shows up as a Wifi Device anymore and I can also not see an IP for it when I scan on my local WiLan.   And it stopped updating in particle.io as well.

Tomorrow I'll try the tricks to recover a  bricked unit on this one.   Luckily I have five of these devices and I currently have a second one that connected to my Wifi network.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:23:26 am by werner »

gadjet

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:16:08 am »
I have the same problem, I flashed a sketch and this seems to have killed the softAP so no wifi and no ID!

did you get it working by restoring it?

Grisbane

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 04:52:03 pm »
I can get my Oak to connect to my wifi network, but I have not been able to get it to update (I think) or register with Particle.io.  Have you been able to do this?

Are you going through Particle.io to upload your sketch?  I am not aware of any way to use the device until it is configured in particle.io.  Pretty new to this, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

werner

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 02:19:40 am »
I can get my Oak to connect to my wifi network, but I have not been able to get it to update (I think) or register with Particle.io.  Have you been able to do this?

Are you going through Particle.io to upload your sketch?  I am not aware of any way to use the device until it is configured in particle.io.  Pretty new to this, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Unfortunately not yet.  I tried what is described in https://github.com/digistump/OakRestore, but I only get this:

Code: [Select]
D:\work\arduino\Oak\OAkRestore> ./esptool.exe --baud 115200 --port COM5 write_flash -fs 32m 0x1000 blank.bin 0x2000 o
aksetup_restore.bin 0x0081000 oakupdate_restore.bin 0x101000 blank.bin 0x102000 blank.bin 0x202000 blank.bin
Connecting...

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP8266
PS D:\work\arduino\Oak\OAkRestore>

However, those instructions that are not 100% clear.  For example it mentions that I can use esptool.exe instead of Python, but it does clearly say the rest of the command line parameters should be the same as for the Python method.   

Another confusing thing for me was the line that said :
onnect Pin2 to GND on the Oak and power it up via a good stable power supply or good USB port.
Does Pin2 mean the Reset pin or IO pin 2?     

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 04:12:45 am »
I answered this in the other thread as well but so no one sees this and ends up confused - connect Pin 2 to GND, NOT Reset

The exe and py files have the same parameters otherwise

Working on an overhaul of the config app to help make this all more clear when setting it up

FastEddy

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:13:04 pm »
It would help to have a list of links to where the "good" advice is posted, so that we would not have to read every single thread to extract the information. Perhaps the wiki? That would seem to fit the bill. Someone would have to moderate it, though.

werner

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 12:47:56 am »
It would help to have a list of links to where the "good" advice is posted, so that we would not have to read every single thread to extract the information.

Yeah I agree.  I also found the information a bit all over the place at the moment.   It would be really nice to have one summary page with links and stuff to the useful bits.  I  think this will have to come from some of us in the community though.  Erik is probably pretty swamped at this stage.