Author Topic: WiFi no longers shows up.  (Read 2038 times)

jcverive

WiFi no longers shows up.
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:12:34 pm »
Although I was never able to get my Oak past "Connecting to the cloud", at least up until now I was able to configure the WiFi. But now I no longer see the Acorn-XXXXX SSID, but the power light is on and the P1 LED flashes at around 1Hz, so the microcontroller core is at least somewhat functional.  I'm guessing the radio in the Oak has died. Has anyone else run into this problem? Disconnecting and reconnecting power doesn't do a thing.

jcverive

Re: WiFi no longers shows up.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:27:00 pm »
Can you frickin' believe it? The VERY MOMENT after I posted this message, the WiFi started showing up again!! Seriously? Am I in an episode of The Twilight Zone?

So the Oak appears to get the OTA firmware upgrade, since during that part of the setup process the blinking LED blinks quite a lot faster for about 20 seconds. Why can't I connect to the stinkin' cloud? I have a Particle account, but both the CLI tool and the Web IDE tell me no devices are found (well, DUH!).

I see many others have this issue, but also many others have gotten their Oaks to work, so what gives? Are those of us with cloud connection failures "in between" somewhat-functional firmware releases?

djflix

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 12:12:50 pm »
I have had similar experiences, sometimes the Oak seems to need some time to let the firmware settle or something. If your device doesn't show up in particle, the claim of your device ID in the Particle Cloud did not succeed. Unfortunately it doesn't work every time, and for one of my oaks it took seven attempts before the device did show up. This is despite the fact that http://rawgit.com/digistump/OakSoftAP/master/config.html already told me TWICE that the oak was connected to the cloud.

I suggest you retry setup until it shows up in the particle cloud. If you want to make sure, log in to build.particle.io and click on devices in the bottom-left corner. If your device shows up here, you're good to go :). Good luck!

jcverive

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 06:23:41 pm »
Thanks, djflix - I'll give it several more attempts, but I've gone through the process at least a dozen times already.

djflix

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 11:31:02 pm »
A lot of people report success when running the initial setup through their mobile phone WiFi Hotspot (myself included, I run the Oaks almost exclusively through my hotspot due to an unknown incompatibility between the Oaks and my routers at work and at home). At least it'll give your Oak a connection to particle :).