Author Topic: Stuck on "Waiting for you Oak to connect to the cloud..."  (Read 4484 times)

exeng

Stuck on "Waiting for you Oak to connect to the cloud..."
« on: February 06, 2016, 03:28:35 pm »
1. I have a particle.io account
2. I can see the Oak from my laptop.
3. Did the setup / download using http://rawgit.com/digistump/OakSoftAP/master/config.html
4. Believe this succeeded based on the LED rapid blink duration (assumed it completed when it went back to slow).
5. Can see the Oak on my router.
6. Switch to my wireless net for internet access to check cloud connection as instructed.
7. Now stuck indefinitely "Waiting for your Oak to connect to the cloud..."
Finally, the Oak seems to go "inactive" on my router during the cloud connection check.
Don't know when but it was "active" prior to that. I'll have to do a constant refresh to figure out when.

In any case, can some who has had success with this list the steps with expected behavior. For example, how do I know my firmware update was successful for sure?

Thanks ahead time for anyone willing to detail the magic.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:33:32 pm by exeng »

exeng

Re: Stuck on "Waiting for you Oak to connect to the cloud..."
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 04:38:37 pm »
Update...
The Oak was active on my wireless router during the cloud connection check for quite a long time. Still no result, just stuck on "Waiting..."

Anyone have an answer? Seems there will be no loading sketches until I get past this.

exeng

Re: Stuck on "Waiting for you Oak to connect to the cloud... UPDATE"
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:18:56 pm »
Another Update...
Have tried multiple times to get firmware installed. According to the OakSoftAP messaging it should take several minutes. I've never see it run that long, so I guess I've never really got it installed completely and perhaps that is why the step checking cloud connection was stuck.

What appears to be happening during the firmware download, is the at varying points in the rapid flash state, the Oak drops it's wireless connection. I can see it go from connected to not available on my laptop. Don't know what is causing it to drop during download but that appears to be what's happening.

FYI, I have been connecting to USB power adapters of at least 1A.  A connection to Oak when at slow blinking state does appear stable but not during download.

Very frustrating. I just want it to work. At a loss at this point of what to try next.

avenue33

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 07:51:49 am »
Same for me.

I suspect the initialisation process to need some polishing. I've opened the thread  "Connecting and Programming Your Oak" — Out of Beta, When?

agranum

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 08:33:31 am »
I'm in the exact same situation.

Waited forever to get these things in. And when I finally do get them, they only seem to be good for use as a cat toy to swat around on the floor.

VERY frustrating.
Going back to Huzzah ESP8266 until things get figured out. Too bad.

werner

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 03:10:57 am »
Try to see if you can see the Oak using an IP scanner.   And if you have more than one Oak, it might be worth repeating the steps with a second one.

I had a little bit more success.  Out of two Oaks, I managed to brick one while I tried to upload an Arduino sketch.  My second one is currently connected to the cloud, but I was not able yet to verify if my Arduino sketches that I attempt to upload actually runs on the device.  I will continue again tomorrow as its getting way past my bed time now.

jcverive

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 10:26:31 am »
Do router settings (especially firewall settings) make a difference? I have tried probably at least 20 times to make it through the Oak Config App at http://rawgit.com/digistump/OakSoftAP/master/config.html . I seem to get firmware updates sometimes (at least the LED blinks quickly for 20-30 seconds), but cannot get past "Waiting for your Oak to connect to the cloud...". I have a Particle account, so that's not the problem. Both the CLI tool and Particle's Web IDE tell me that I have no connected devices, which doesn't surprise me.

I have noticed that my Oak's WiFi isn't operating consistently, which may be an important symptom: I don't always see the Acorn-XXXXXX SSID; instead, often I have to connect through a "Hidden Network" that my laptop sees. Perhaps the WiFi radio is flaky?

Any clues out there? I'm willing to purchase another one or two of these if that will increase my odds overall, but on the otherhand don't want to be throwing good money after bad.

exeng

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 11:50:36 am »
If you are seeing "Other Network" (as I have) it's most likely because that ACORN is not broadcasting SSID. You should still be able to connect to it though. When I do (in this case) it shows that I'm connected to ACORN-XXXX.

On the firewall thing, I wondered that too, but have managed to setup and connect to the cloud with default router firewall settings. That is, the ACORN is treated like any other device on my wireless router.

Getting setup and cloud connect to work required many tries and I'm still trying to figure out why it fails when it does and why it works when it does.

Sorry, that I can't offer much help.

who

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 12:23:30 pm »
Same issue...
Oak seemed to download the firmware, but know I am here "Waiting for your Oak to connect to the cloud..."

and this with all of my 3 Oaks