Author Topic: Oak cli tool on windows  (Read 5160 times)

genghisosmosis

Oak cli tool on windows
« on: January 22, 2016, 01:44:55 pm »
Hi folks
Very pleased to have received my oaks this week- I've managed ( I think ) to connect through wifi and update the firmware... however the OAK command line tool doesn't seem to generate the required config.json file.
I've attempted to run the tool as regular user and admin, no dice. It doesn't seem to create the required folder, indeed making this folder manually makes no difference.
Am I doing something completely daft?

touliloup

Re: Oak cli tool on windows
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:58:05 am »
After entering your login and password, does it ask which board you want to use? Or just quit?
If it doesn't, your board is not registered to the cloud. Did the setup through SoftAP website complete successfully?
Are you able to see your device on this website: https://dashboard.particle.io/ ?

OSComputing

SoftAP, cloud check fails, Oak cli tool on windows
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 07:18:41 pm »
I'm pretty sure my Oak is not connecting to particle. When I start as a new Oak, I have seen it reboot, blink rapidly for exactly 10 seconds, but SoftAP never finished the cloud test and I never see a new device on Particle

I've gone through SoftAP, I connected with my phone (Acorn-XXXXXX), I see my AP and give it the password, get the message "saving settings... Oak will reboot... Then, connected back to my WiFi, I click, "Check Cloud connection..." This is where everything ends abnormally. The progress bar plays over and over and never completes.

Running OakCLI, I am asked which I want to use, I see my two Photons and no other device, no Oak/Acorn. When I try to upload from Arduino IDE, it tells me to log in with OakCLI, which never sees my Acorn/Oak on particle.

Setup through SoftAP seems to be where it fails. The website say says firmware and rawgit site will be fixed in 2 days, but does not mention the day the message was first posted.

What is the next step to troubleshoot this?

Richard

defragster

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 02:25:57 am »
I just completed this process from my phone - got my OAK registered - named it - ran the OAKcli - it spotted my OAK - then proceeded to upload my first sketch.

OSComputing

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:00:01 pm »
OAK Number Two (Tried this one after update announcement to firmware from digispark)
This Oak definitely gets an IP address from my router. I can see it in the DHCP table and ping it:
ESP_0XXXXE   Wireless-G 192.168.99.2 99:99:99:09:99:9E. <-----from router DHCP table

Ping statistics for 192.168.99.2: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss).

The Problem is:
It just never seems to set itself up on Particle after the rawgit procedure.

The questions are:
Is this a particle issue? Rawgit? Using Oak CLI, I can see my photons on there, but never the new Oak(s):
Particle Username/Email:abcdefg@gmail.com
Particle Password:******************
[1] rcm_1 <-----photon from way back
[2] tcd_2 <-----photon from way back
  • CANCEL

Which device would you like to use? [1, 2, 0] :
Do I just wait and keep trying every day or two?

OAK Number One (The first one I tried after I received them)
Oak Number One never gets an IP address at all, but seems to be happily blinking it's LED. I can connect to it ad-hoc when prompted using rawgit. I get prompted to choose wifi AP, add password, and it tells me it is going to reboot. It's kind of hard to tell when it (or any OAK) is actually rebooting, connecting, etc. It APPEARS to connect and LED blinks rapidly for about 12 seconds. Then nada.

I'm guessing that OAK Number one got itself zapped somehow. I've looked at the wiki for reflashing, (https://github.com/digistump/OakRestore) etc. I'm just not sure I'm ready to do that yet.
The questions are: How can I get this Oak to at least see my AP and get an IP? Is there a soft reset or something? Should I try to restore this Oak?

I've done the rawgit procedure DOZENS times on both of my Oaks.
Comment: I have yet to get one up on particle.
Richard
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 09:20:59 pm by OSComputing »

jwjames83

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:52:47 am »
Same issue here. I have three Oaks and cannot get any on to Particle. All will spend about 20 seconds flashing rapidly, but then go back to the slower blink.

bdevlin

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:36:07 am »
I found I had to power cycle a few times to get the Oak to register with particle cloud. Once registered it will appear in the cli tool. Basically power up your oak, step through the register new oak web tool, if it doesn't work, power cycle and start over.

Regards,
Brad

genghisosmosis

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 11:34:49 am »
After many unsuccessful attempts over several days, my first oak is now connected. I got to the point where I left it plugged in upstairs and periodically tried to connect it. Up until now the amount of flashing varied hugely during the initial download - sometimes 2 seconds, sometimes 20-30 seconds. As I wasn't watching it when it did finally work ,I don't know how long it took in the end.
Now to figure out the "board oak unknown" in the Arduino IDE....
 Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 7), Board: "Oak by Digistump, 80 MHz, Particle OTA, OAK (4M/1M SPIFFS), Single - 1MB (Fullsize)"

Board oak (platform oak, package digistump) is unknown

Error compiling.

UPDATE: I uninstalled the version of Arduino IDE I was using (1.67) and replaced it with 1.65 - Uploaded the sketch first go. Seems there is some issue with the boards manager in the later versions of the Arduino IDE.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 12:36:12 pm by genghisosmosis »

OSComputing

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 08:00:35 pm »
Well I got my Oak #2 online and named it!  ;D Can't say why it's working, other than I know there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes at Particle and Digistump.

The other one, Oak #1 has another problem altogether, it never joins my WiFi so I will have to take a different approach to getting that one running.
Richard

Update: I'm able to send code to my Oak #2 in the cloud just fine!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:16:23 pm by OSComputing »

jcverive

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:12:06 am »
I can't get past the SoftAP Cloud connection check. I get to http://rawgit.com/digistump/OakSoftAP/master/config.html which displays

Oak WiFi Config

Waiting for your Oak to connect to the cloud..

while the bar underneath just keeps cycling. I have registered for a Particle Account, but don't see how the Oak is supposed to connect to the Particle cloud. Until I get past this step, no sense even trying to program through the Arduino IDE.

Anyone out there know whats going on? The Oak is a cute little bugger, but I really want to start programming it. I've got IoT working on the Arduino Yun platform, but it was a bit of a headache; I had hoped the Oak would be easier to get working.