Author Topic: Motorcycle Gear Indicator (Digispark Pro based)  (Read 5612 times)

robmack

Motorcycle Gear Indicator (Digispark Pro based)
« on: October 03, 2015, 10:18:23 am »
I own a classic BMW K-bike and am active in the community of owners.  What is popular nowadays is to convert these older motorcycles into cafe racers.  To do the conversion, most builders remove the OEM instrument cluster.  Once done, the builder needs to replace the lost functionality with aftermarket gauges and special purpose electronics.

This is where the Digispark enters the picture.  I have previously designed circuits to replace the gear indicator / neutral detect / start enable circuit that disappears with the removal of the OEM cluster.  My previous designs were hardware based.  I recently started building a Digispark Pro based hybrid solution that looks very promising.

This board will convert the transmission gear position indicator (TGPI) switch output into a displayed gear number on a variety of displays -- single 7-segment LED display, 6 individual LEDs or incandescent bulbs, or on certain aftermarket gauges with built-in gear indicators.  It also detects neutral gear and lights a Neutral indicator on the dash.  In addition, it enables the motorcycle to be started in neutral by supplying a signal to the starter relay.

The programmability of the Arduino allows for this flexibility of design, and the micro size of the Digispark Pro board allows for a physically small circuit card.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 10:41:19 am by robmack »

LukeH

Re: Motorcycle Gear Indicator (Digispark Pro based)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:24:55 am »
Hi

I've just registered so I can reply to your topic.

I'm really interested in your work as I am working on a similar thing for R1 powered classic Mini. Have you shared your schematics and code anywhere I can take a look? I've already built a prototype using a Uno but yours looks like a much neater solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii3tpK8oqcY This is a link to a vid of my prototype using push switches as the up/down input