Author Topic: Oak LiPo Charger Shield Info/Updates  (Read 4355 times)

moyerek

Oak LiPo Charger Shield Info/Updates
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:04:26 pm »
Was hoping for some technical updates on the design of the Oak LiPo shield.

Looking specifically for:
1. On/off switch - Yes/No
2. If yes to Question #1, location of switch on shield?
3. Location of JST battery connector on shield?
4. Any LED status lights for battery charging?
5. Any breakouts for external charging status lights?

Any CAD pictures of the shield design would be most appreciate.

defragster

Re: Oak LiPo Charger Shield Info/Updates
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:26:47 pm »
Would be interesting details to know.  I have assembled one of the two I got for Pro and Erik did a good job.  It has a switch for On from LiPo or Charge&On from USB.

I just edited my Add-On today to drop from 3 to 2 LiPo's as I'm not sure what to expect for $12.  It will have a larger board to work with so It could include Proto Area or other to be more handy - but I'm not sure anything like that was offered.

As I noted on KStart today also I have found Newegg has LiPo equipped USB out battery banks I got (on sale) for $10 and $17 that are 3.2Ah and 13Ah respectively, and the charge system in them with POWER and AUTO charge when connected.  The Larger unit does drop power on disconnecting and connecting charge cord to the battery, but the 3.2Ah unit does not.  They are the FREEMO Q-02 and P130.  Not small with 1 or 4 18650's inside - but compact for what they are with a charge system built in for longer power runs in a system that can hold them.  I haven't had long to (ab)Use these units - but so far they are impressive as others I got won't charge and output power at the same time - and some units cut off on LOW POWER draw - these don't do that that I have seen running other things under 50-100mAh.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:19:16 pm »
1. On/off switch - Yes/No: No - it automatically switches between providing power and charging based on whether 5+ V is present on the VIN
2. If yes to Question #1, location of switch on shield?
3. Location of JST battery connector on shield?: Not final yet
4. Any LED status lights for battery charging?: Yes
5. Any breakouts for external charging status lights?: None planned at this point

moyerek

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:41:14 pm »
I would really like to see an on/off power switch on this shield since being able to turn on/off a project is pretty key to many of my plans for the Oak. 

Next, I would recommend having the JST connector opposite to the USB.  This will enable better enclosure integration.

The shield from Sparkfun for the Photon is pretty decent design minus the fact it's missing a power switch and the JST connector is on the wrong side. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13626. It would also allow the installation of a screw terminal which I always love for development work.

moyerek

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 05:03:11 pm »
Is adding an on/off switch out of the question for this shield?  I have no desire to use a battery shield that I have no control over the power.

moyerek

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 05:16:30 pm »
I would love to receive a response for why a simple on/off switch cannot be added to the LiPo charger shield.  When I added this shield there was almost NO information provided on the specifications.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 02:07:06 pm »
The LiPo shield will have a spot to add a on-off override switch, but you will have to provide the switch, without it, it will work as previously outlined.