Author Topic: Retina MBP Issues  (Read 32719 times)

Paul Boven

Re: Retina MBP Issues
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 04:33:29 am »
I have a non-retina MacBook Pro (medio 2012 model, OSX 10.8.3) that only has USB3.0 ports.

When I insert the DigiSpark, it gets powered, but does not show up. When I use an USB extension cable, the DigiSpark does show up.

How to check for your DigiSpark:
Click the Apple logo at the top left of your desktop, and select "About this Mac".
In the popup, click "More info" and then "System Report".
In the Sytem Report, click on 'USB' in the left column (under 'Hardware').
Insert your Digispark, then within 5 seconds hit Command-R to refresh the System Report.
Your DigiSpark should now show up as 'Vendor-Specific Device', and if you click on that, it will list "Product ID: 0x0753, Vendor ID: 0x16d0" which are the correct numbers for the DigiSpark bootloader. You must do the refresh within 5 seconds, as the boatloader shuts down after that.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:54 am »
This sounds like the "pins are too short" issue - our next revision addresses this with a longer connector

LazzaHH

• Bouncing around the world.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 12:55:17 pm »
I am also using the MBP Ret. So far it seems to have been behaving with the digispark programming tool. and a usb cable.

I have 4 units that I am building into some prototypes. I will update if there are issues I haven't seen.

L

dougal

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2013, 10:00:31 am »
Well, crud. I just upgraded to a MBP Retina last weekend, and now that I've tried programming a Digispark for the first time, I find it doesn't work. Tried my cheap USB hub (even with external power) and a plain USB extension cable. Neither helped.

:(

I still have my old Macbook, so I'm not completely dead in the water. But I hope I can find a workaround so I don't have to keep swapping around. I was going to give the old laptop to one of my kids after I'm sure I've gotten everything I need off of it.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2013, 01:39:39 pm »
Dougal - have you tried all the port and removing any other USB devices? Witht he extension and or programming tool (if you have it)?

dougal

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 05:59:07 am »
I tried both of the USB3 ports on the MBP, two different ports on the hub, even tried hooking the hub to the laptop with a USB extension cable. I dug up another extension cable last night, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Not sure when I'll have time to experiment much with it again, but hopefully soon.

dougal

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 08:46:17 am »
I just had success uploading a sketch to a Digispark from my new MacBook Pro Retina!

Details here:
http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,1059.msg4454.html#msg4454

dgramop

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2016, 07:53:02 am »
Pins are long enough for me... I think. The lights on the digispark turn on/start blinking.

I hit upload and:

Sketch uses 360 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 14,844 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes of dynamic memory.
Running Digispark Uploader...
Plug in device now... (will timeout in 60 seconds)
> Please plug in the device ...
> Press CTRL+C to terminate the program.
> Device search timed out

I am using a USB extention cable that is 4 inches long. I do not have any windows machines, but I do have (ubuntu, kali) linux (dual boot on osx)

jamesarm97

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2016, 09:27:03 am »
Was anything ever resolved with this? I seem to be having a bunch of USB problems since El Cap came out (USB Serial, etc). My Digispark Original will not be detected by the mac laptop. I have verified it works on an older windows pc and even loaded the keyboard demo so It should connect and write two words as a usb keyboard hid. On the mac it always shows: 5/20/16 12:17:30.759 PM system_profiler[11509]: SPUSBDevice: IOServiceGetMatchingService did not return anything for location 0x00200000

repeated on the console with the location changing. Never is seen as a valid usb device and cannot be programmed either on the mac. I can program with a windows computer if I had to but I will still run into the problem where I was going to use the device to capture data from a caliper and send it as keyboard keypresses but since the device will not be recognized even as a usb hid that functionality will not work.

fcorn66

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2018, 01:11:11 pm »
I have the Mini ATtiny85 USB, dev.board in my ports list in the Arduino IDE version 1.8.3 ports menu.

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) running macOS High Sierra version 10.13.5.  I have the Digistump AVR Boards version 1.6.7 loaded.

Can anyone help?

Anjin

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2019, 05:15:45 pm »
It is a well known issue with MacBooks going back some ways.  It is as many have surmised, simply that the port design does not allow for contact with the pins on the digispark usb.  Simple enough to get around, just add a hub or extension cable.