Author Topic: Digispark Rev3 does not work or I dont know...  (Read 12953 times)

aafent

Digispark Rev3 does not work or I dont know...
« on: March 12, 2015, 08:58:56 am »
Hi all,

I just got a Digispark and when I plug it I saw the led to remain on and is "Uknown device" for my windows.
Please note that I have also other digispark boards and my laptop is setted to work fine with them.

Its possible to be burned? Is there a way to check if it is alive or not, or is there any way to reload the bootloader ?

TiA
Andreas

DeuxVis

Re: Digispark Rev3 does not work or I dont know...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 03:08:48 am »
Rev3 is not an officially released to the public version.
So yours has to be a cheap clone, and maybe be built from faulty components.

See http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,963.msg6436.html#msg6436

This means you're probably out of luck getting someone from digistump taking some time to help you, you probably understand they can't give out support for counterfeit units.

On the other hand maybe the community here could help you bring your "digispark" back alive out of curiosity about what the manufacturer did wrong, but it probably would be faster and cheaper for you to get a brand new one from the official store if you need it.
I think I remember reading about someone facing the same issue in those forums, but I cannot find where right now.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:10:28 am by DeuxVis »

DeuxVis

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 03:14:18 am »
Ah, found it.

That guy was able to bring it alive by changing the protection diode. I'm not sure that fix is applicable in your case then...

http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,1454.msg6652.html#msg6652

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 06:30:31 pm »
Alot of the counterfeit versions (it is an open source design but the Digispark name is our trademark) don't have any bootloader on them. You can find some tutorials on the wiki on how to load a bootloader on to them with an Arduino, ISP Programmer, etc. That said, if it doesn't work/that isn't what's wrong the quickest way to get a working one is to buy the real thing that supports Digistump and this community.

giantclam

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:06:39 pm »
...hmm...for me this is bound to be a case of "I wish I had seen this thread before.." blablabla, but not to worry ~ it's easy to be misled these days (another way of saying the knock-off industry has grown/matured)... still, for the reference here, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301433534652?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT is where I {unwittingly} got my pair of 'rev3' digisparks ~ if I could lead with 'strangely enough', turns out they both seem to work fine, but perhaps I'm just on the lucky side of ymmv. (and who knows how long they will keep working)....

...it makes me want to ask, what exactly was the error on the rev3 design that made you skip over shipping it?...like, I'm now curious to know if what I have here is a different revision altogether, that has been marked with the (officially unused) 'rev3' printing - this is me saying that I was 'surprised' to find both units worked 'as expected', given what I've read wrt rev3 digispark clones. If I ever do what I'm doing again, I'll be mindful to buy genuine =)

Cheers

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 05:23:20 pm »
Nothing was wrong with rev3 - it just was never produced - the rev3 files were just like rev2 (of which we made 30k units) but had a few adjustments for better production. At the point those changes were made we released the files for the first time publicly, so we publicly released the rev3 files.

Before we produced the next batch of 10k units we made an additional change - we lengthened the USB connector - and so we named that rev4. Nothing was wrong with the rev3 files, but since they were publicly released and never produced by us it became an easy way to know if a device is a "clone."

The reason most of the clones don't work or have issues is because they use the wrong parts all together, parts that are bad/second hand, or parts that are improper substitutes for the USB to work. Many also lack the bootloader or don't have the fuses set properly.

giantclam

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 12:08:03 am »
...great, thanks for the details there....as said, next time I'll be more careful where I spend my money ~ I had actually arrived at what I thought was a 'reasonable deduction' at the time...ie; the reason I was able to buy a 'rev3' cheap, was due to the fact it had been superseded by the rev4...sigh... at least I'm wiser now - cudos & keep up the good work!...