Author Topic: Can't Upload Program  (Read 15376 times)

srz2

Can't Upload Program
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:43:56 pm »
I am new to this kind of thing so i dont know if i'm doing something wrong, but I copy and pasted the sample program and tried to upload it to my digispark through the Audino ready software. I've selected the necessary board and program in the tools menu and when it says to, i plugged in my digispark to upload. After which, the software seems to do nothing and does not progress. Is there another step that I am missing or am I wrong to assume that the program should upload to the device after i plug it in.

Please help,

thanks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:43:56 pm by srz2 »

deranjer

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:18:58 pm »
Windows or Linux?

If you are in Windows did you run \"InstallDriver.exe\"?

No need to copy and paste it, go to

File->Examples->Digispark->Start

and that is the exact same blink example

Bluebie

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:07:41 pm »
It sounds like the digispark isn\'t connecting. Deranjer is right in thinking it maybe drivers on windows. On linux it could be a permissions error. On Mac OS it should just work. The connector on the digispark is a bit short too, so if the USB ports you\'re trying to use are a bit deep in to the computer\'s case you could try using a little usb extension cable or plug it in to a hub or something like that.

Does the green LED light up when you plug it in? If it does but isn\'t in deep enough to connect data, one thing you can try is using a conductive silver pen or something like that to extend the two data wires in the middle of the USB prong all the way to the edge.

srz2

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:46:09 pm »
I\'m sorry, I should have been more specific...

I\'ve tested digispark on multiple computers

2 different PCs running windows 7
2 different Macs running Mountain Lion (Macbook Pro Retina) and Lion (Macbook Pro early 2012)

Big issue I am having with the macs is that when i try to upload the program on a mac, the ardunio editor freezes my computer (mouse and keyboard). Is there a solution to this? Regardless, it also doesn\'t upload to my digitpark

On the PCs, I\'ve had the same issue with each PC. When I try to upload and plug in my digispark, it can do anything from a couple different things. One, I\'ve actually had it work correctly and everything is fine. Two, the *budum* sounds goes on and off and nothing happens. Three, the *budum* sounds several times, it might recognize it and if it does, it says either the driver is not found/recognized OR it says the USB device in unknown.

What I am aware of:
          - There is a potential problem with the retinas and the USB 3.0
          - Some computers might not have the device going in all the way. I am aware and have taken precautions

Toubleshooting I\'ve done:
           - Uninstall and Redownload the software
           - Uninstall and redownload the driver
           - Tried all the USB ports in each computer with no different results
           - Tried a different digispark (i\'ve got three in my order)
           - Tried with and without anything else connected to it

The only thing I have not done that I will try tomorrow after buying one is using a USB extension cable. HOWEVER I would like different advise than that incase that fails as well unless there can be nothing wrong with the process otherwise (which still doesn\'t answer the macs freezing on the upload)

Any and all help is appreciated!!!

srz2

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 11:51:47 pm »
ALSO to add on, I make double sure that I\'ve selected the proper digispark board and programming language in the ardunio software editor

digistump

• Administrator
Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:40 am »
@srz2

Do you have more than one Digispark? If so, have you tried a second one?

When you plug it in and leave it for about 10+ seconds does the LED on it start to blink? (The power LED should stay solid, a second LED should blink)

RussNelson

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 04:12:53 pm »
srz2 I had to use a powered USB hub.

Bluebie

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 04:34:00 pm »
I believe the issue with USB 3.0 on recent retina macbook pro to be that the USB port is quite a bit deeper in to the case than on previous mac laptops. This is what I observed on a friend\'s retina macbook pro, and a usb extension cable or hub had it working fine. On freezing, this seems to be happening during the compile process, not the upload - because it also happens when you try and verify the program. Hopefully digistump or arduino can find a fix for this weirdness. :)

srz2

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »
@digistump : I have three in my order and I tried using a different one. Same issues

@RussNelson : I am using a USB extender but I will try a hub when I can

@Bluebie : I used an USB extender but I still observe the same issues. The freezing issues still persist

Any other comments or ideas would be appreciated. This problem is still ongoing

digistump

• Administrator
Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 08:08:36 pm »
@srz2 - if you plug one in and leave it (not trying to upload or anything) does it begin to blink?

I know you\'ve answered this but to confirm have you tried the rear ports on a windows desktop with no cable of any kind?

srz2

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 09:46:02 pm »
@digistump

Once i plug in the device, the power LED turns on and remains solid. Leaving it in while NOT trying to upload anything, a second LED turns on and also remains solid. At this point, the program stored on the device begins to execute.

I have tried the rear ports of the PCs with no luck. I can\'t with the Mac as they are laptops and are lacking anything in the rear.

Bluebie

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:33 pm »
On mac\'s try a port on either side (most have at least one port on each of the left and right edges). As a rule, one side will go through a hub on the motherboard, combined with the laptop\'s keyboard, trackpad, and sometimes webcam and bluetooth module, while the other port will go straight in to the system\'s usb chip.

srz2

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 08:29:48 pm »
@Bluebie

I\'ve already tried this, but thanks for the recommendation

Deamiter

Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 07:59:41 pm »
I have what I think is a similar problem.  I\'ve used a dremel to trim down a USB extension cable, and I tried every USB port on my computer (Win XP).  I found just one port that seems to work, but the upload is aborted at 80% and now the Digispark doesn\'t flash.

I\'ve tried this with two separate Digisparks, and now neither of them flash with the pre-loaded program.  Further, while one of them can repeatedly reach this 80% point, the other isn\'t even recognized any more.  I\'ll try purchasing a powered USB hub, but if that doesn\'t work, I\'m not sure what to try next.

digistump

• Administrator
Can\'t Upload Program
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 01:21:48 am »
@Deamiter - do you have anything plugged into the Digispark when you try this? A circuit, etc? That ended up being the issue srz2 was having. So if that is the case then try with nothing plugged into it (just to establish it working at least).