Author Topic: "Unknown new version of micronucleus detected"  (Read 8361 times)

CarrierII

"Unknown new version of micronucleus detected"
« on: January 21, 2015, 04:10:37 am »
Hi,

I'm getting the above error whilst trying to upload any sketch to either of my two Digispark Pros. I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and have downloaded and installed the 1.5.8C release of the IDE linked to from the getting started page on the wiki.

The error occurs regardless of being root or not, and regardless of having the udev rules in place (ie: all four combinations do not work).

Cloning https://github.com/micronucleus/micronucleus/tree/testing-V2-New, compiling and then using the freshly compiled version of micronucleus from sources also does not work.

I am now somewhat stumped for ideas.

Full error text:
Code: [Select]
Warning: device with unknown new version of Micronucleus detected.
This tool doesn't know how to upload to this new device. Updates may be available.
Device reports version as: 2.0

Yours,
CarrierII

digistump

• Administrator
Re: "Unknown new version of micronucleus detected"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:39:14 am »
Somewhere on your system (in your path presumably) you have an old version of micronucleus - maybe try "whereis micronucleus"

You can check the command line tool version with "micronucleus --help" - v2+ will show "Commandline tool version: 2.0a4" or similar at the bottom

The IDE and without a doubt building from source both give you a version that is v2+ ready - but an older version would give that message

CarrierII

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:11:15 am »
$: whereis micronucleus
micronucleus:

ie: nowhere.

$: which micronucleus
$:
ie: nowhere. Hmmph.

OK: The nuclear option:
$: sudo su
#: cd /
#: find -name "micronucleus"
Inexplicably, this music plays
./home/bsuk/Arduino/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/micronucleus
./home/bsuk/software/micronucleus
./home/bsuk/software/micronucleus/commandline/micronucleus
./home/bsuk/arduino-1.0.5/hardware/digispark/bootloaders/micronucleus
./home/bsuk/arduino-1.0.5/digispark/micronucleus
./home/bsuk/arduino-1.0.5/digispark/micronucleus/commandline/builds/Mac/micronucleus

That first one looked suspicious, so I renamed it to micronucleus_backup and tried again. Ah ha! File not found when I try to upload.
I moved the IDE's version into that folder, switched to being root due to permissions errors (yes, I am a member of dialout!) and I can now upload code! Any idea as to why the IDE prefers to look in ~/Arduino/* rather than it's own directory???

Thanks.

defragster

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 11:04:35 am »
does it in Windows too.  Apparently directory ...\Arduino or .../Arduino is where home is "supposed" to be.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:36:43 pm by defragster »