Author Topic: USB connected LCD  (Read 16800 times)

Trakkasure

USB connected LCD
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:24 pm »
After installing PyUSB and wxPython, running the monitor send and read all give me
No DigiUSB Device Found

Could be (on OSX again) that I don\'t have libusb.
I\'ll have to check it out tomorrow.
A thorough step by step on getting a working system would be good for this example. Once I get it working, I could provide that here.

digistump

• Administrator
USB connected LCD
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:47:17 pm »
It very well could be because you don\'t have libusb - try installing that with homebrew or macports - I\'d think just libusb would do the trick, but if not libusb-compat might help. Let me know if that works, I think it will since I have pretty much a clean install of os x 10.7 with only libusb installed out of the ordinary.

If you could write it up that\'d be most appreciated - also if you can think of anyway to make an app or terminal program or something like that that would work for send, read, write, and receive - that would be awesome, I couldn\'t get them to work as an app since they need a terminal and I don\'t know enough about macs to come up with something else yet.

Thanks,
Erik

digistump

• Administrator
USB connected LCD
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 09:49:29 pm »
Here is a great way to get libusb binaries as well - probably easier - http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane - just grab the appropriate libusb package and install

MichaelMeissner

USB connected LCD
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 10:10:03 pm »
I posted a reply about a similar issue over in the Arduino forums.  In the Arduino forums, the issue is -Wl,-relax option.  While I work on GCC (and in the past binutils) as my day job, I\'m trying not to dive into it for hobby related projects on the AVR and ARM chips, so somebody else would need to modify the code to use the appropriate attributes for the functions that must be a certain distance from the interrupt vectors, or take -Wl,-relax off and accept the larger programs:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,140108.msg1054357.html#msg1054357

digistump

• Administrator
USB connected LCD
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 10:35:31 pm »
@MichaelMeissner  you certainly no more of the technical side then I do - but what I did is just update the Arduino IDE with the newest version of the link (\"ld\") executable (from winavr for windows and avr crosspack for os x) and that seems to solve it.

Bluebie

USB connected LCD
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 11:55:17 pm »
On a Mac the best way to upgrade ruby and install the latest version of libusb, as well as many other useful command line tools is with Mac Homebrew. In a terminal enter each of these lines:

ruby -e \"$(curl -fsSkL raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/go)\"
brew install libusb libusb-compat ruby

You\'ll need an administrator account to install homebrew initially. This will download and compile the needed programs. I recommend against using those odd installer applications as they inject the software deep in to the heart of OS X and can potentially cause instability, and usually do not offer any simple means of uninstallation. Homebrew keeps all it\'s stuff in it\'s own directory and just uses shell paths to have things look there first, leaving it very easy to uninstall stuff and leaving system software using the libraries which came with the operating system.

Trakkasure

USB connected LCD
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 07:57:46 pm »
Wanted to confirm that after installing libusb, this demo works.

Bluebie

USB connected LCD
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 08:52:01 pm »
Yay ^_^

chipman78

USB connected LCD
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 09:33:07 am »
Hey all.  I\'ve been silently following along, but am hitting my own (newbie) roadblock.
I have setup Homebrew and installed libusb.  My DigiSpark has the program running on it.  What else do I need to do on my mac to see output on the LCD?  (I am not very familiar with python)

digistump

• Administrator
USB connected LCD
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:17 am »
chipman you should actually be able to just open the monitor app and send data to the Digispark with it, that will appear on the LCD - then you can explore the ruby and python options after that

chipman78

USB connected LCD
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 12:11:27 pm »
I haven\'t been able to launch monitor.app.  It immediately crashes.

This is what is showing in my mac\'s Console:
1/10/13 3:18:26.199 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[145]: ([0x0-0x553f53a].org.pythonmac.unspecified.monitor[85673]) Exited with code: 1

I\'ve seen this on a MacPro running 10.8.1 and a MacBook Air running 10.7.x

digistump

• Administrator
USB connected LCD
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 12:18:24 pm »
try

sudo easy_install pyusb
cd /path to examples/DigiUSB/source
python send.py \"text on LCD\"

chipman78

USB connected LCD
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 12:22:13 pm »
YES!!  Thank you!
Loving the product, BTW.  Great work!

digistump

• Administrator
USB connected LCD
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:05 pm »
wonderful! - if you do \"sudo easy_install wx\" then you should be able to run \"python monitor.py\" as well

jonwa

Re: USB connected LCD
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 03:29:15 pm »
I'm confused. Where is this USB2LCD part?
All the other examples where in examples/digispark, but there is no USB2LCD program there.