Author Topic: Pro fails to enumerate  (Read 35719 times)

gogol

Re: Pro fails to enumerate
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 11:45:20 pm »
In that case the whole error message would be helpful.
Furthermore: which user you are using for the IDE? Check the whole path, if file permissions are correct for that user down to the final path.
Is your user member of the "dialout" group?

defragster

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 12:23:31 am »
Having bolted my Pro&Shield together I'd been working from the one sample and poking at it.

Last night on my USB2 HUB and USB3 Win7 notebook ports I seemed to get ~6 uploads and then had to swap ports.

Not rebooting my machine I pulled my MOUSE RF dongle and used that direct USB2 port today.  I must have made and uploaded 50 to 100 trivial changes as the code morphed.  All was working 100% as expected!

After hours of this (on/off/on AC) it finally has the USB port messed up - my HUB, nor my RF mouse work there either (hopefully it fused out).  I moved my HUB to USB3 and it works, I moved my PRO to the Hub's USB2 port and I am back in business.  I've been running the matrix full on for long periods so I don't suspect it was simply from that.

While it was on the 'messed up port' I was seeing the PRO take power and the MATRIX full on, like it does during my normal power up - but after 6-7 seconds it stayed full on.  Then I noticed my finger at/near touching the two caps and resistor area would mess up the display - all off of random bits.  Perhaps it was getting low current volts or some other signal confusing to the micronucleus - but it was looking bad.  I didn't move or do anything I can think of to have caused this - but I assume I had just hit 'upload'.  This behavior persisted even after re-plugging to the same USB, and I got ">> Flash write error -1 has occured ..."

The PRO and Shield are back in fine shape and I finished my code Morph - will post after this. I have to reboot my notebook to see if the port comes back. [UPDATE] After reboot the system and USB port work fine, but when it went bad it was very bad looking.  It was on running overnight and an upload just worked.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:19:18 am by defragster »

amadren

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 06:01:33 am »
So, I tried with the root user, I created another user.

Here's the error code for the root user:
Code: [Select]
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/root/Arduino/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/avrdude": java.io.IOException: error=2, Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:488)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:612)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:485)
at processing.app.helpers.ProcessUtils.exec(ProcessUtils.java:12)
at cc.arduino.packages.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(Uploader.java:102)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:127)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1672)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1578)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1550)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2399)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:701)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: error=2, Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:164)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:81)
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:470)
... 10 more

With the other user, I can't select the port. So, I tried with sudo ./arduino and I have the same error (that's normal :p)

There's a weird thing: when I have to select the port, there's only  /dev/tty0 but I'm quite sure that it's not correct.

I used lsusb and here's the output:

Bus 009 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 011 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 003: ID 0738:1705 Mad Catz, Inc.  //My mouse
Bus 008 Device 002: ID 04f2:1060 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd // The Digispark?
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 010 Device 002: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader // An SD reader
Bus 010 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Also, I've verified, and the file exists in both /root/Arduino/hardware and /arduino-1.5.5/hardware and /home/"user"/Arduino

EDIT: On Windows 8.1, I haven't got this problem but my Digispark isn't recognized
EDIT2: When in text mode, it loops on USB Bus 008 Device recognition. A problem like manufacturer ID or something like that (can't copy the code/screen it cause on text only mode)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:06:06 am by amadren »

gogol

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 06:50:46 am »
When the file /root/Arduino/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/avrdude exists and is flagged as executable,  there are some more reasons, why you get and error-message like that:
  • You have a 64-bit Linux and no 32-bit libraries installed
  • You have extended ACL on your files (getfacl/setfacl)
  • You have either SElinux or App-Armor running, and no rights to execute that file

In the other case, that you can't select the port, I assume, that this user has no access rights to /dev/ttyACMnn, which is normally done, by adding that user to the dialout-group. After adding a user in that group, the user needs to login again, that this change gets active.

To check, whether Linux detects the device, and which tty will be associated, run "udevadm monitor" as root in one terminal window, while you plug the device into the USB port.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:54:05 am by gogol »

amadren

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 07:21:25 am »
I have a linux 64, could you tell me what are the librairies that I have to install?

"You have extended ACL on your files (getfacl/setfacl)
You have either SElinux or App-Armor running, and no rights to execute that file" Nope and nope.

"In the other case, that you can't select the port, I assume, that this user has no access rights to /dev/ttyACMnn, which is normally done, by adding that user to the dialout-group. After adding a user in that group, the user needs to login again, that this change gets active." That was what I was thinking about. That's why I used sudo.

gogol

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 08:39:09 am »
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install ia32-libs

should hopefully do the trick.
Unfortunately some newer Debian-familiy distributions (Ubuntu 13.10/14.04) don't have any longer the "ia32-libs" meta-package on board.
In those cases you need to install all missing libraries by the following recipe:

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install build-essential
apt-get install libc6:i386
apt-get install libncurses5:i386
apt-get install libstdc++6:i386
ldd /root/Arduino/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/avrdude
#watch the output with library is not installed and install it with:
apt-get install libMISSING:i386   #where libMISSING is the name of a missing library

amadren

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 07:56:57 am »
Hi, now it works, thanks but the digispark isn't recognized. I tried 3 computers and that not works.

Maybe it's my digispark

defragster

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:58 am »
Minor issues I had with Win 7 x64 went away - #1:bad cable - #2:USB2 Hub - #3:USB3: Worked many dozens of times reliably on my Toshiba laptop direct from USB2 port - i5 2.8 years old. The #1:bad cable never worked, the #2&#3:USB worked a few times then failed until I swapped.  neither tried again.

Windows 8.1: I have a 32bit ASUS Tablet/netbook unit and it works!  Full sized USB3 port and a Micro USB port with OTG cable - 7 months old.
> Opened and downloaded 4 sketches with no issues USB3
> Opened and downloaded 4 sketches with no issues Micro USB/OTG
> Undocked from keyboard and uploaded 2 more with no issues OTG

I had a minor issue Win 8.1 and Win 7 machine - Fixed by REMOVING the old version of the 1.5 IDE (leftover from DigiX connect)!  Fresh 6/30 nightly build on both machines works.

gogol

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 08:59:04 am »
As I have now decided to solder male pins on my beta-PRO and the female pins to the beta-shield, I realized, that my beta-board is also not recognized from any of my PC.

Windows is telling about an unrecognized device, while in Linux the "udevadm monitor" is showing nothing at all.  That leads to the conclusion, that only the pullup on D+ is recognized, but the USB initialization is missing.

Are the schematics and the board-layout available, that I can investigate further?  I have seen the solder-jumpers on the back (like on the digix), where I can disable the Zeners. My plan is disabling the zeners and use one of my  external zener cables to connect them to the corresponding pins.

The blink-program is currently running on the chip,so it was factory loaded.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:09:45 am by gogol »

FourG

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 05:22:00 pm »
Received a replacement Pro in the mail today.  The new Pro enumerated right out of the gate on my Win7 64-bit machine as a libusb device, then disconnected automatically after 5 seconds to run the Blink sketch shipped with the board.  I read the flash out of the new Pro with avrdude and wrote it back into the malfunctioning Pro with no mis-compares on the verify operation.  The malfunctioning Pro's USB enumeration continues to fail with the "Unknown device" message, so I have to assume bad hardware at this point.  I will be sending the malfunctioning Pro back to Digistump for post-mortem, as I don't have the tools to reflow the USB connector to see if that's the culprit.

gogol

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 07:07:18 am »
Edit 2014-07-30:  See this post as well:  My assumption here is slightly off!
---

As I don't have the board layout, I can only guess.  I have opened the D- and D+ solder jumper on the back side of the PRO.   I assume, that one end of the open solder-jumper is now a straight connection to the PINs 3 and 4.  This is true for pin 3 (PB3), however pin 4 has a 300k resistance to the open jumper.

From my understandig the jumper should look like:

pin4-----------------------+--------------PB6 of attiny
                           |
                           |
                     solder-jumper
                           |
                         66R5
                           |
             GND ----zener-+---1k5---- +5V
                           |
                           |
                           |

USB D-
respective
pin3-----------------------+--------------PB3 of attiny
                           |
                           |
                     solder-jumper
                           |
                         66R5
                           |
             GND ----zener-+
                           |
                           |
                           |

USB D+

so I would expect 0  Ohm to one end of the open solder jumper for each of D- and D+

Having the schematics and the board layout would help a lot!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:15:10 am by gogol »

gogol

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 07:32:11 am »
Ok connected now my external USB interface to PB3/PB6 and the PRO is immediately recognized!

Paul Nicholson

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 12:22:22 pm »
So I did a closer inspection of my digispark pro and it looks like a component on not attached completely. I marked one of the pictures from kickstarter because I couldn't get a clear picture with my camera. The side facing the usb connector is detached. I have no idea what implications that would have on its usage but maybe it explains why mine will not enumerate.

gogol

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 12:19:04 am »
@digistump:  I would really like to see the board-layout for better understanding.  Right now it looks for me, that a via is not properly connected. As I have 0 R from PB3/6 to pin3/4, but 300k between pin4 and the solder-jumper.
But things are to small to identify details. ...

defragster

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 01:55:16 am »
I just opened my second Pro Beta and I see two anomalies - open solder pads [red boxes] where two resistors are standing on end [fuchsia line on up end]. Near the USB end on two sides of the mount hole.  Lucky I picked the other one first - and had two choices - will return without applying power.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:58:24 am by defragster »