Author Topic: Pro fails to enumerate  (Read 34443 times)

FourG

Pro fails to enumerate
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:06:59 am »
Working on bringing up a Beta Pro on one of my systems.  So far, I've tried 3 different machines, all with the same result: the DigiSpark Pro failed to enumerate and drops back into the default mainloop (blinking LED) after 5 seconds.

Setup:
  • Following instructions from http://digistump.com/wiki/digispark/tutorials/connectingpro.
  • Pro is USB cable powered, no headers soldered on yet.  Using Ardunio 1.5x nightly and the Windows Addons. 
  • Windows machines have 64-bit drivers installed before launching IDE, trying to upload, and connecting the Pro when indicated.
    • pnputil shows the Digistump driver is present in the staged driver store.
    • usbview indicates DeviceFailedEnumeration status, regardless of which controller port I use or if a self-powered hub is used between the root hub and the device.
  • Ubuntu system has the udev permissions settings and dmesg indicates device failed to accept an address.

Systems tried:
1. Windows 7 64-bit, P55 Express chipset
2. Windows 8.1 64-bit, QS77 chipset
3. Ubuntu Linux 14.04, X58+ICH10 chipset

Cables tried:
1. Motorola Micro USB
2. Samsung Micro USB

Hub tried:
1. USB 2.0 self-powered hub

Tried all the suggestions from the Troubleshooting and Linux Troubleshooting sections of the Wiki, but still no enumeration.  I don't have a USB monitor to interpose between the host and device, so I can't see the enumeration sequence to see if the D+/D- lines are doing what they're supposed to at the physical and link level.  Does anyone have any ideas on next steps to try?

Thanks!

netguy204

Re: Pro fails to enumerate
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:53:33 pm »
I'm having the same problem. I'm able to program my device without trouble (plug in when micronucleus asks me to) but the digispark never gets a /dev/tty* entry and dmesg eventually says that enumeration was attempted but it gave up. The ultimate impact is that I'm not able to play with the new serial debugging support that the pro adds.

Having fun programming with the beta shield though!

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:36:56 pm »
@FourG are you able to program it? It will only remain ready to recieve code for 5 seconds - hit the upload butotn first and then plugin/reset the pro

@netguy204 - sorry it wasn't made more clear - I mentioned it on the kickstarter comments - the USB serial debugging is not yet integrated into this beta release

FourG

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:39:28 pm »
Sadly, no, I cannot program.  Using the example sketch from the "Connecting Pro" page:

Sketch uses 968 bytes (6%) of program storage space. Maximum is 14,844 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes of dynamic memory.
Running Digispark Uploader...
Plug in device now... (will timeout in 60 seconds)

I then plug the Digispark Pro's USB-A cable into the host's USB port.  Windows 7 pops up "USB Device Not Recognized" in the notification center.

> Press CTRL+C to terminate the program.
> Device search timed out

I've got "Tools->Board->Digispark Pro (16 Mhz)" and "Tools->Programmer->Micronucleus" selected (there was no Digispark Pro option available for the Programmer menu in my IDE).

Is there a way to put the bootloader in an infinite "check for programming" loop, say by grounding one of the pins?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:03:09 pm by FourG »

FourG

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:02:18 pm »
Follow up: I'm starting to suspect the cables may be playing a part in my issue.  The Mini-USB cable that came with my Make: Beaglebone Black kit also resulted in enumeration problems (bad descriptor) but after switching to the no-name cable I use with the Didj and FTDI serial adapters it started enumerating and working correctly.

Will have to swing by the cable store tomorrow to pick up a few of their Micro-USB cables to test this theory...

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 05:44:28 pm »
If that doesn't solve it please send me an email (support@digistump.com) and we'll get a new one to you.

TravisF

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:23 am »
I'm having the same problem now.  My board worked fine for two days but then one time it failed to program and now whenever I plug it in Windows says the device isn't recognized.

ubersmack

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 09:55:00 pm »
Also failing to upload any new program, times out after resetting/replugging.  I have the initial blink program working.

"Sketch uses 3,430 bytes (23%) of program storage space. Maximum is 14,844 bytes.
Global variables use 98 bytes of dynamic memory.
Running Digispark Uploader...
Plug in device now... (will timeout in 60 seconds)
> Please plug in the device ...
> Press CTRL+C to terminate the program.
> Device search timed out"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:04:58 pm by ubersmack »

Eascen

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 01:12:42 pm »
I had this problem repeatedly -- turns out my hand being too close to the usb pins was causing interference.

amadren

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 06:57:30 am »
Same problem, my digispark isn't recognized (but from the first day for me) on Windows 8.1

Paul Nicholson

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 10:15:02 pm »
I am having the failed to enumerate device issue as well. I have tried it on my iMac, MBPr & Windows. Nothing.
I also tried multiple cables, with and without a usb 2 hub.
Also note, the ardiuno addon does not include libusb. I copied it out of the old digispark addon but I don't know if there is a newer version.

Code: [Select]
kernel[0]: USBF:    6468.755    The IOUSBFamily was not able to enumerate a device.
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libusb-0.1.4.dylib
  Referenced from: ~/Documents/Arduino/hardware/digistump/avr/tools/micronucleus
  Reason: image not found

defragster

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 11:53:46 am »
I got mine assembled and set up to work.  Then I can upload a few times and lose connectivity.  Initially it wholly failed when I used a short but cheap cord.

On my Win 7 Open Device Manager and monitor ongoing connections: >mmc devmgmt.msc

For some reason mine shows under “Jawbone Devices” - phone Bluetooth I once connected to update.

USB device comes and goes with connection and it typically works, until it stops.  Then I move from one USB port to another (USB 2[HUB] <> USB 3) and it will work again - until it stops again for the next move. { note Under Windows this happens with other common devices not recognized until it moves ports }

I am using the DigiStump Programmer to switch off the USB, I haven't worked with reset yet.

This detection drop may relate to 'Arduino IDE' on my machine as it seems familiar to DIGIX/Digispark and not the hardware.  I did dump my DigiX era docs\Arduino for the last nightly build. {Note: That prior v1.5 build was confusing the new build I initially put in a second location}

Will post after I set up on a Win 8 box and see what I see there.

defragster

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 01:50:30 pm »
Going direct to USB 2 port (not HUB or USB3) I have been had 100% reliable UPLOAD over a dozen times with BetaShield demo app.  Win7 with a Motorola phone cable using my clean nightly build with DigiSpark hardware addons.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 04:38:06 pm »
Thanks for your patience everyone - here is a guide to some different issues:

Your Digispark Pro:

Worked - but no longer responds after an error during uploading. If you have an Arduino or ISP programmer try this: http://digistump.com/wiki/digispark/tutorials/proisp - otherwise contact us to exchange/have us reprogram it.

Shows USB device isn't recognized (or similar) and has never worked. Try a different cable, port, hub or computer - and other troubleshooting steps here and in the Digispark message boards. If none of that works contact us.

Does not work with Windows 8/8.1 but works on another computer - we are getting reports of issues with Windows 8 drivers - we are looking into this, but there is nothing wrong with the device itself.

amadren

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 06:10:37 pm »
So... Will it work on linux?

Cuz' I have Kali Linux (dual boot) but have a msg error like:
Java:
File /root/arduino/hardware/....... not found but, I've verified and there is the file.