Author Topic: Any Info on the New Digispark Pro?  (Read 25344 times)

gogol

Re: Any Info on the New Digispark Pro?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 06:39:43 am »
The Kicktraq website looks like it does something like a simple linear projection into the future, whereas with something like this, a lot of the earlier backers are going to be people who are aware of the project, so got in their early, probably causing a initial impetus which won't continue for the entire duration.  It also doesn't entirely have the novelty and very low cost of the original DigiSpark, so I suspect it'll appeal less.  It'll clearly continue to gain more funding, but I'd expect the graph to level off, and not continue upwards with as much speed.

Lets see!  I still see it crossing the $200,00 margin!

I was ways off :-(.    I would have expected a similar number of backers as for the original digispark.

dougal

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 09:13:57 am »
I think the product space is a lot more crowded now than it was 1 year-and-a-half ago. But I'm still encouraged that the Kickstarter outstripped its goal 10-fold. :)

TimO

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 03:32:46 pm »
Indeed, whilst there are definitely more similar products out there, the DigiSparks do things which the others fail to, and there's a vibrant support community (ie here!), which you won't find for cheap Chinese near equivalents.  I think this all helps garner additional support.

$100000 is still very impressive.  The funding had a sudden surge in the last few days, presumably people jumping in at the last moment, or adding funds in for the new shields.

MichaelMeissner

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 08:56:32 pm »
Frankly I have given up on ATtiny85 chips.  I will use the chips I have bought, but I don't see myself buying more.  For me, the big issue is the various incompatibilities with the larger Arduino world (particularly no Serial support and having to use TinyWireM.h instead of Wire.h, but I want to start playing with Servos, and that is another sore spot in ATtiny85 support).  The Linux releases from digistump seem to be almost a year old, so it seems to have been frozen in time.

On a whim, I bought 2 digispark pro's, oled shield, lipo shield, and bluetooth shield.  I will see how the water is when I get the chips and actually use the digistump version of the IDE.  The retail price hasn't been announced yet, but I suspect it will have a hard time to compete against the various 32u4 chips coming out (pololu astar, upcoming adafruit pro trinket) and the various 328p nano clones.  The Pro micro clones aren't interesting to me, since they don't include USB serial support, but the Leonardo/Nano clones that do include the USB support without additional hardware are interesting.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:00:37 pm by MichaelMeissner »

defragster

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2014, 12:54:28 am »
$100K is more than respectable for sure - - the $ per backer amount split the Spark and Digix, just short on the participants so my guess based on initial numbers was off by 2x in the end.

I got 3 Pro's overall - but 8x more for other options.  I've been getting other mega's - Sparkfun sent me 20 of their varied ATmega328 boards for $108 on Arduino Day - I fear these tiny boards with 512bytes RAM could get me into a project that I couldn't get out of or grow to incorporate the feature the shields offer.

My old day job I paged 4K data from RAM to 128K extended - then had to repeat that for the next OS when the dataset grew to 16MB but lone RAM blocks couldn't exceed 1MB.  With ATtiny I'm looking into SPI RAM or EEProm before I even build anything.  Mega helps that fear, but I've been resisting placing the Teensy 3.1 order about as long as I can.

CarrierII

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 05:39:50 am »
Hi,

Will the external interrupt on PB6 (digital I/O pin 4) be available for use by user applications, or will the bootloader require it?

Thanks,
Carrier

gogol

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 08:59:52 am »
Micronucleus will use no interrupts at all, as far as I learned.
In this very interesting blocg you can read about the details.
cpldcpu is also member of this forum here.