Author Topic: Send data from processing to digix using wifi  (Read 2401 times)

cactusFood

Send data from processing to digix using wifi
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:53:18 pm »
Hello everyone

I'm currently building a RC tank and I successfully managed to control it serially with a GUI using processing. Now, I want to control it through wifi but I have no prior experience working with wifi.  I managed to setup the wifi on the digix using the starter tutorial found on the digix wiki but I have no idea how to proceed further. Can someone help me out? Thanks in advance.

dfarrell

Re: Send data from processing to digix using wifi
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:38:17 pm »
Pretty late response, but you have a couple of options.  (Best) Open a TCP session in processing to talk using transparent mode to the DigiX. You can test this first using Terraterm where you open a tcp connection to port 8899, this lets you get comfortable with whats happening.  You can also visit USR.CN, the source of the DigiX WiFi module and look at USR-VCOM in USR-Software.  This looks to be a virtual serial port driver which hides the use of TCP and port 8899 to emulate a COM port so you open it like you are doing now.  I have not tested this or can speak for the quality but the price is right (free).  I also assume this is for some version of windows.   There are also other virtual com port drivers out there for other OS's.  Again, the best is to just use TCP.