Author Topic: EMAC Ethernet  (Read 3602 times)

dfarrell

EMAC Ethernet
« on: January 25, 2014, 09:09:24 am »
Got my Waveshare DP83848 PHY interfaced with the DigiX.  All seems to run fine.  Basically copy the Atmel Studio 6.1 unit_test example project for the sam3x_ek platform.  A couple of details, the PHY address is 1, not 0.  Waveshare does not use the optional RX_EX signal and it seems to require a pulldown on the DigiX.  On the linux side I basically use the EMAC in raw mode as a fast serial interface,  Linux can easily handle raw packets.  If you like windows you need a shim, see winpcap, also see wireshark.  I will probably add some minimal TCP/IP at some point.

gogol

Re: EMAC Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 01:37:38 am »
Can you report, which pins you have connected for that?  I have seen, that in the original DUE schematics and 14 pin ETH connector was planned, but not brought to the board.
I had no time yet, to read through the documentation to figure out, if the DigiX has all needed Pins broken out, or which pins you may have to connect on the chip.
I would like to include that into the PIN-documentation.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 06:01:49 am by gogol »

dfarrell

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:34:44 am »
From my code:

#define EMACPINS (PIO_PB0A_ETXCK\
  | PIO_PB2A_ETX0 | PIO_PB3A_ETX1 | PIO_PB1A_ETXEN\
  | PIO_PB4A_ECRSDV | PIO_PB5A_ERX0 | PIO_PB6A_ERX1\
  | PIO_PB8A_EMDC | PIO_PB9A_EMDIO)
//  | PIO_PB7A_ERXER\

PIO_PB7A_ERXER is optional, I don't use it but found I had to pull it to GND.

BTW Viewtool has their DP83848 Ethernet Module that looks similar to the Waveshare PHY. See EBAY.

gogol

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:55:36 am »
Thanks!
All Pins are broken out. I have added the information to my PIN documentation.