Author Topic: n00b - what's WDT? What's native/programming?  (Read 8468 times)

cnd

n00b - what's WDT? What's native/programming?
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:40:15 am »
Hi. Just got my DigiX.  In the "Tools -> Board" menu, There's *two* DigiX options - which one have I got? "standard" or "WDT"?  (WTF is WDT?)  How can I tell?

In the instructions, I'm told I can also choose Due... but Due also has 2 options: "Programming Port" or "Native USB Port" - which one am I supposed to pick?

Please do not answer me here.  Please fix your instructions, and provide me with a link to the fixed instructions page.  (Every new user you've got will be suffering the same confusion - better you fix the problem, than appease just me only)

SukkoPera

Re: n00b - what's WDT? What's native/programming?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:00:32 am »
The wiki actually says to use the Native Port when using the board as a Due: http://digistump.com/wiki/digix/tutorials/basics

When using the DigiX setting, I use the Standard mode and it works fine. But I admit I wonder as well what WDT is and what it is for, and I saw no mention of it anywhere.

gogol

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 07:47:46 am »
All about WDT can be found in chapter 17 of the SAM3x8e.
With the WDT option, the watchdog timer is enabled, which is in the standard DUE configuration disabled.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:53:37 pm »
The watchdog timer allows (among other things) for you to reset the board if it becomes unresponsive (say in a long term installation) and also to put the board to sleep and wake it up periodically - it is an advanced use that most will never need, which is why we call the default setup standard. If you use that option your board will reset every 8 seconds (I think without looking it up) - unless you add a command to kick the wdt

fmarkos

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:33:14 pm »
Hello trying to activate WDT but my IDE in the "Tools -> Board" menu, There's no "WDT" variant.
How can I enable it?
Do I have to change the hardware\digistump\sam\variants\digix\variant.cpp file?
change what?
In another post it is suggested to switch the file with variant_wdt.cpp There is no such file in the latest DigistumpIDE1.5.8C I use.

Help please?