Author Topic: DigiStump RGBLED Shield, Making Blue PWM Compatible  (Read 3665 times)

seldenr

DigiStump RGBLED Shield, Making Blue PWM Compatible
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:22:30 pm »
Hi,
I was just noticing that my new RGB shield from DigiStump only allows red and green to be on the PWM pins of the digispark. This means that blue must use software-PWM, which means no usb connection. I was wondering, would using P4's PWM compatibility work for the led? I would just cut the P2 Header off of the shield, and then solder a little jumper wire between the P2 and P4 spots on top. This way, I could program it using P4's PWM, and then the PWM signal would jump over to the right slot that is wired to the led.

Thanks for your input.
R

digistump

• Administrator
Re: DigiStump RGBLED Shield, Making Blue PWM Compatible
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:47:46 am »
P4 wasn't used because it will interfere with USB

The DigiBlink example uses softPWM for the blue and USB at the same time without issue.

If you look at the source files for the RGB shield you'll see there are solder jumpers on the bottom that can be cut and joined to connect Blue to P4 if desired.

seldenr

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 08:29:41 pm »
P4 wasn't used because it will interfere with USB

The DigiBlink example uses softPWM for the blue and USB at the same time without issue.

If you look at the source files for the RGB shield you'll see there are solder jumpers on the bottom that can be cut and joined to connect Blue to P4 if desired.

Ok. I looked at the software PWM example but I couldn't figure out how to use that for myself. Are there any clearer examples?

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:51:57 pm »
add this at the bottom of your sketch

Code: [Select]

void setBlue(Blue){
    if(Blue == 0){
      digitalWrite(2,LOW);
      return;
    }
    else if(Blue == 255){
      digitalWrite(2,HIGH);
      return;
    }
    // On period 
    for (int x=0;x<Blue;x++){
    digitalWrite(2,HIGH);
    }

// Off period

for(int x=0;x<(255-Blue);x++){
    digitalWrite(2,LOW);
    }

}

call it form your sketch with setBlue(255); where 255 is the PWM value you want to use.

make sure your loop doesn't have any delays in it for this to work.

lots of other PWM methods out there for the attiny85 which may work to - or check out the littlewire (littlewire.cc) firmware which can be loaded onto the Digispark and has USB communication, a Ruby and C library, and softPWM