Author Topic: Digix driver install failure  (Read 5534 times)

Techno

Digix driver install failure
« on: January 08, 2014, 12:30:55 pm »
Digix driver is failing to install.  Have held down erase and reset and tried a second USB cable.  All produce the same result.

Attached CMD.exe window, screen capture from attempting Install - amd64bit.bat /c /se /f commandline.

Capture.jpg

Operating System is Windows 8.1.  I have tried with Advanced StartupOptions 7disabled and with it enabled; same result.

Any sugguestions or troubleshoot steps?

Wm.

defragster

Re: Digix driver install failure
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 02:51:52 pm »
I did the "disable" and the steps went like here: http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,1084.0.html

It worked for me - I used this graphic version I noted as found: http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,1221.msg5471.html#msg5471

Techno

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 07:39:14 pm »
I have tried this method.  I keep getting "Can not find path".  Moved folder with driver to SystemDrive (C Drive root.)  Same result.  I successfully disabled the signed driver enforcement option.  Same result.  This has happen on two Windows 8.1 computers.  I am using an external power supply.  Also tried with just USB cable; same result.

Tried hdwwiz.exe; driver was installed on Windows 7 computer.  Computer indicates USB device not recognized.  Windows 8.1 computer tried hdwwiz.exe; says "path not found".

Noticed in the inf file that their is a difference in character case -- if the filename in an inf is case sensitive could this be a problem?   Tried to make case the same; however, I get a hash error about corruption. 

Anyone???

Techno

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 12:10:10 pm »
Update:  Purchased "RadioShack" 2603141-- 12" USB-A Male to Micro USB-B Male Cable, still Digix is not recognized by Windows --all I get are two "chimes."  There is no USB symbol in taskbar; where you would normally stop  a USB device.

Is there a recommended USB cable and what is the spec for the cable?  I know there are more than one type of Micro USB-B cables from post on MaximumPC.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 04:37:02 pm »
On the windows 7 computer can you make sure you've installed the Arduino drivers that come with 1.5.5 (the installer will let you install them as part of it or they can be found in the drivers folder) - the first time you use it (or if you hit erase) it will come up as a Due or Bossa Port - which requires those drivers.

If that works then we can dive into the Win8.1 issue further (I can confirm is does work for me and others on 8.1 64 bit) - if that doesn't work then we can at least get you a working board before we try to chase that down.

Techno

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 07:22:46 pm »
Resolved the issue tonight; I found another Micro USB-B cable, if you look in the 'A' plug there is a white piece in the plug.  Other Micro USB-B cables have a black piece.  May or may not be significant.

Any way with Driver signing enforcement disabled and executing the "Install Driver - 64-bit.bat" file with administrative rights, I was able to load the driver.  I ran two sketches; blink example and the Difi server example.

I hope to start moving a project from the Arduino Mega to the Digix; it reads current weather observations at 15 minute interval, writes data to a SD card, and uses a web server to output data.  Also, it has a download link for the collected data from the SD card.  Not all my coding; I did add some timing logic and a couple of functions to simplify code.  Project uses DS1307 Real Time Clock, BMP085, and DHT22 sensors.

Is the Digix, Real Time Clock compatible with the DS1307?

Thanks for hosting the support forum!

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 01:31:54 am »
Strange - I have a bunch of MicroUSB cables and only one of them doesn't work and it is a cheapo one I got free with something. I'm glad you were able to get it to work though.

The DigiX RTC is a complete RTC on the chip, nothing like the DS1307 is needed for it to work. YOu can use the WiFi to set the RTC on startup based on a timeserver (there is an example for this), since it doesn't have a battery to keep the time when it is off. You can also use the DS1307 with the DigiX and not use the onboard RTC - you'd then just use the DS1307 as you would on an Arduino Uno/Mega, except you'd need to make sure the I2C has a level shifter or that the DS1307 is run at 3.3v.