Author Topic: Arduino IDE errors  (Read 7945 times)

bdh

Arduino IDE errors
« on: January 02, 2014, 03:23:41 am »
I have a question about the usability of the Arduino IDE (v1.5.5) as I get a lot of errors when uploading sketches.

I'm relatively new to all this but i've managed to get the DigiX working doing some basic stuff with the Digispark LCD kit and DS18B20 writing the temperature to the LCD.

The problem i'm having is the "Port" option in the "Tools" menu is regularly greyed out and I often see this when I try and upload a sketch:

processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Couldn't find a Board on the selected port. Check that you have the correct port selected.  If it is correct, try pressing the board's reset button after initiating the upload.
   at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.waitForUploadPort(SerialUploader.java:213)

<snip/>

I usually press reset, wait a few minutes for the "Port" option to become available again and then re-upload.  This doesn't always work, I often have to reset more than once.

Is this a common problem or is it something I've missed during setup?  It makes it very painful to upload/test code.

I am using Ubuntu (64-bit) and the "arduino-1.5.5-linux64.tgz" from the main website.

digistump

• Administrator
Re: Arduino IDE errors
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 12:50:30 am »
This sounds like something else is trying to use the port - some other threads have mentioned turning off modem manager which might interfere on ubuntu/linux systems.

erix

Re: Arduino IDE errors Linux
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:58:55 am »
Hi,

I have almost the same problem. I'm under Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS desktop.
Before I started I've already the Arduino IDE 1.0 installed.

So I've downloaded today the last release/version of the Arduino IDE 1.5.5 and installed it.

I've tried to follow the kind of "howto" given by the Digix wiki but it doesn't work very well.

Things I've noticed in my $HOME there are few directories created:
.arduino
Arduino
.arduino15

I've decided to removed all of them and created these:
.arduino15
and after that I've a symbolic link to Arduino:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 erix erix       10 janv. 18 18:30 Arduino -> .arduino15/
under Arduino (or .arduino15)
I've unziped the DigiXAddons-v07.zip as described by the Digix's wiki.

Now when I run the "Arduino 1.5.5" IDE I can see the Digix board's models
but I don't know how to upload a new sketch. I wanted to modifiy the actual/factory default "blink" and upload it
but the IDE keeps saying port COM1" is not found...

is there someone with an ideas?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Erix

tos

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 11:47:46 am »
Unfortuantely I'm experiencing the same problems under linux and win 7. I used the board "Digistump DigiX (standard)" first.
Strange to say the problems gone after switching to board "Digistump DigiX (WDT enabled)" and using that for uploads...

tos

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 12:22:35 pm »
I played a little bit with the variant*.cpp files under hardware/digistump/sam/variants/digix and hardware/digistump/sam/variants/digix_wdt
After removing variant_wdt.cpp and variant_std.cpp (only leaving variant.cpp in their place) and restarting the arduino IDE selecting the DigiX boards from the menu worked as expected now.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 01:04:31 am »
@Erix - are there other options under Tools->Ports ? If you are on linux you should see /dev/something in that list - try selecting that.

@tos - opps didn't realize leaving the renamed variants in there would mess it up - fixed for the next release.

erix

Re: Arduino IDE errors IT'S WORKING NOW!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 04:23:47 am »
Hi everybody,

it's working now... after few tweaks.

after few inquiries on Google I found here and there we need a special "serial USB" port to communicate
between the IDE and the Arduino by itself. They call it "ttyACM"

Went to "/dev" and found nothing. ran dmesg with and without the Digix but nothing more, just 1 more line
for USB "ehci dcm" or something like that. same for "lsusb" that did not tell me more...

by curiosity, I've inspected the  ".config"  of my Linux Kernel tree and found the "ACM/DCM" thing was not
configured..   :( :'(

so I decided to make a new Linux kernel, I'm running actually 3.8.13, by running all the diffferent
makemenuconfig, etc etc

install it (dpkg ....) and updated my boot loader, that is in my case BURG.

Reboot the PC, attach and de-attach the Digix and the magic line appeared:
usbcore               202929  5 cdc_acm,ehci_pci,ehci_hcd,usb_storage,uhci_hcd   as a result of "lsmod"

went to the Arduino IDE, select the Digix board, select the new tty-usb port that is /dev/ttyACM0

load the example sketch "blink" modified the "delay"'s values, compiled and uploaded the
code to the Digix and....

IT WORKS!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm so happy.
I know for you guys it looks very small but for me I achieved a big step.
It was the first time I ever played with an Arduino in my life!!  Yes it's possible... and especially now!

Thanks to you all guys and to Google and to LINUX
without forgetting   DigiStump for their little baby.

Just one little thing, when I run the Arduino IDE, I have these messages:
Board digistump: sam: Digix defines no option "build.board." It is automatically set to: SAM_DIGIX
Map digistump: sam: digix_wdt defines no option "build.board." It is automatically set to: SAM_DIGIX_WDT
Experimental: JNI_OnLoad called Expired.
Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7

What does it mean the 2 lines with ""build.board." It is automatically set to" ?
any ideas?

Thanks again for your help
Regards
Erix

bdh

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 02:59:58 am »
Sorry, I meant to come back to this earlier but other things got in the way.

This advice is spot on:

This sounds like something else is trying to use the port - some other threads have mentioned turning off modem manager which might interfere on ubuntu/linux systems.

For Ubuntu the fix was as easy as:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get purge modemmanager
Just need to watch for other packages adding it back in when it's not really necessary...