Author Topic: Setting up WiFi  (Read 3555 times)

TerryS

Setting up WiFi
« on: December 18, 2013, 11:38:28 am »
Hello,
Setting up the WiFi connection for first time use is not working and I am not quite sure why.
 I followed the steps from the tutorial...
1) The DigiX is connected to my computer
2) My computer is DHCP enabled
3) When I type 10.10.100.254 in Chrome I get "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 10.10.100.254"
Have tried erase and reset to no avail. 
Thanks,

dougal

Re: Setting up WiFi
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 01:54:02 pm »
It's not super-clear in the Wiki instructions, but the DigiX will present itself as a wifi access point named "DIGIX". You need to connect your computer's wifi to that.

TerryS

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 02:24:25 pm »
Thank you very much, its working now!

Cheers,

Terry

defragster

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:36 pm »
I made it across that as well - when I paused to realize that ip > 10.10.100.254 won't be on my network - I'd have to go find it.  The oddest part was that I was actually reading the WiFi wiki going through the steps!  In my case I was already wireless  on my laptop so had to change.

Having a step added that says 'connect wifi to DIGIX' might help others.

The cool thing is that the device will not only join my home network afterwards - but still put up its own SSID.  Just read wiki again and that is AP+STA.

Mine just came yesterday - installing the tools now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:10:56 am by defragster »

dougal

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 05:52:47 am »
I edited the page to (hopefully) make that more clear:

http://digistump.com/wiki/digix/tutorials/wifi

TerryS

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 08:50:27 pm »
That definitely helps!

I seem to be stumbling my way through this : )... as I am not sure what has gone wrong with my setting the WIFI parameters because I am not able to use DigiX as an Access Point even though it shows up as a network.
The "basic DigiFi" sketch does run.   Attached is a screen shot.

Thanks in advance!

hydro

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 09:29:06 pm »
Not sure this is your problem, but the SSID of your AP network is set to DIGI rather than DIGIX, so you should look for a network named DIGI and connect to that if you want to use your DigiX as an access point.

Another possibility is that you are using the same channel as the network you use for your STA setting (see wiki: "Make sure it is not on the same channel as the WiFi you selected in STA settings."). You can change the channel on the AP settings tab.

TerryS

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 10:01:59 pm »
thanks, I did choose a different channel for the AP and connected to DIGI network however it is limited.  I am able to Ping my DigiX on DIGI from another network.