Author Topic: "Unknown Device", Windows 7  (Read 20852 times)

earckens

Re: "Unknown Device", Windows 7
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 11:07:49 am »
I also discovered that (on WIN 8.1) if the Digispark is connected and running a sketch and the PC goes to or is in sleep, that when is comes back up there is an enumeration that fails. So my evening power down routine is to remove the Digispark and remove all Unknown devices before PC shutdown.

Exeng, if I understand correctly you have no means to recover the usb connection to the Digistump after waking up from sleep (and/or hybernation?)? How do/did you proceed then?

Erik

exeng

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 11:14:55 am »
Sorry, I left that bit out. Same as before. I have to remove the physical device, remove the unknown device in device manager, then restart the PC if I want to do another upload.

PeterF

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2016, 01:09:32 am »
Hi PeterF, no offence but the fact that the Attiny85 is indeed pushed to the limit in the Digispark does not exonerate "us" from providing as detailed as possible an installation procedure, including anything in any system where it can/may be used that may cause it not to function as required.

Hey, no offence taken Erik... that is the whole point of discussion forums of this... to document and discuss problems and solutions  (and generally have a good time also). All I was getting at was these are nowhere near as reliable re: USB as a dedicated USB interface chip would be, and most of the USB issues are reasonably well documented (both symptom-wise and the technical why-it-happens) when you look up the V-USB/Attiny85 stuff from which the USB stuff for the Digispark originated.

I do wonder though what the root cause of this particular issue is... as I have zero issues with moving the digispark between sockets, and if it doesn't enumerate due to being plugged in when the system was powered up, and just unplugged it and plug it back in again (or flick the switch on the programming adapter off and on again). Maybe the fact that I usually run it through a external USB hub has shielded me from those issues? I also don't need to install multiple sets of drivers, only the one - whatever the latest ones that were distributed on the github release page were. And this is when using Windows 7 (32/64 bit), Win 8.1 (x64) and Win 10 (x64) on two machines, with some linux thrown in the mix as well.

Regardless, the steps you've mentioned do indeed deserve mentioning in the wiki, as they are all perfectly valid troubleshooting steps, and have been shown to work ;)

earckens

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2016, 02:50:09 am »
...and most of the USB issues are reasonably well documented (both symptom-wise and the technical why-it-happens) when you look up the V-USB/Attiny85 stuff from which the USB stuff for the Digispark originated.

I do wonder though what the root cause of this particular issue is... as I have zero issues with moving the digispark between sockets, and if it doesn't enumerate due to being plugged in when the system was powered up, and just unplugged it and plug it back in again (or flick the switch on the programming adapter off and on again). Maybe the fact that I usually run it through a external USB hub has shielded me from those issues? I also don't need to install multiple sets of drivers, only the one - whatever the latest ones that were distributed on the github release page were. And this is when using Windows 7 (32/64 bit), Win 8.1 (x64) and Win 10 (x64) on two machines, with some linux thrown in the mix as well.

Hi Peter,
some interesting comments: 1. I was not aware of the V-USB connection, I will do some reading. 2. "enumeration issue": I think there lies part of the root cause: I am using umpteen drivers for all sorts of USB programmers, although for each of them only one and the most recent ;).

Anyway, also then "it" should work without issues but I am not expecting this to be the case without a fight. I am well aware that I am causing part of the trouble myself by using all sorts of USB programmers but again then I want a clear and robust procedure to solve these issues. You name "enumeration", well I think this is spot on. The last few weeks I had on and off again connection problems and "unknown device" listed but each time I could solve the issue by adressing the windows USB enumeration: I succesfully used the steps I described before PLUS this: http://troubleshooter.xyz/fix-usb-device-not-recognized-by-windows/

The main advantage of the ATtiny versus the Pro Mini is its miniature size (almost half) and its amazing low power possibilities.

And to take the route of straight virgin ATtiny85's is economically not interesting.

earckens

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2017, 05:34:53 am »
Today after several weeks of other projects I had to reprogram a Digispark. You guess it: UNKNOWN DEVICE   >:(

I used my own catalog of fixes (see above): none worked  :o I subsequently spent hours trying all kinds of "fixes", no avail  >:(, loosing hairs and others turning gray..

Lucky i have a number of spares, tried that as final resort and BINGO..  ;D

I was about to throw the whole bunch on the street, I will wait a bit longer with that final solution.

Erik

earckens

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 07:28:52 am »
Addendum: when downloading a program make sure nothing is attached to any pins.

I may be kicking open doors but it is very common to set up your digispark with all the wiring to sensors and outputs attached while trying various program versions.

Undo this wiring before downloading.

PeterF

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 04:04:57 pm »
Yes indeed... forgetting that P3/P4 serve as the USB data pins come back to bite every so often! ;)  :o

pckcomeback

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 02:20:55 am »
Good idea
ufabet