Author Topic: DigiX doesn't register as COM port  (Read 13042 times)

xeno

Re: DigiX doesn't register as COM port
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 02:50:51 am »
Digistump sent me another DigiX board, and now it's working like a charm. Problem solved :)

They told me the same as has been said here, that the usb connector may be wrong soldered to the board

dmorgan

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 11:26:35 am »
I finally got around to checking out my DIGIX boards and I am having the same issue with 2 boards I ordered. Installed drivers, machine recognizes the device as a COM5 out of the box. One of the boards was initially recognized as an arduino keyboard... I'e tried multiple erase/resets, plug/unplugs, driver installs, nothing seems to work.

After multiple attempts I cannot upload from the IDE to either board. I am getting few cables to try them, but I can transfer files using my main micro usb cable on multiple other devices.

[Windows 7 x64]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:26:25 pm by dmorgan »

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 12:14:53 pm »
At this point are they showing in device manager at all?

And if so - what are they showing up as?

dmorgan

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 12:27:27 pm »

Yes they both show in device manager on Com5 as a Bossa device

Its like this issue as well:

http://digistump.com/board/index.php/topic,1083.0.html

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 05:38:50 pm »
So what happens when you try to upload to it from Arduino IDE? Is it not showing in the ports menu or are you getting an error - if so please post error.

gogol

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 12:43:39 am »
Are they showing up as BOSSA-Port in the in the Device manager with an associated COM-Port and without yellow exclamation mark?
If that is the case, open an command prompt, change into the "hardware\tools" directory below your Arduino-directory  and enter bossac -i

Code: [Select]
E:\Arduino-1.5\hardware\tools>bossac.exe -i
Device found on COM13
Device       : ATSAM3X8
Chip ID      : 285e0a60
Version      : v1.1 Dec 15 2010 19:25:04
Address      : 524288
Pages        : 2048
Page Size    : 256 bytes
Total Size   : 512KB
Planes       : 2
Lock Regions : 32
Locked       : none
Security     : false
Boot Flash   : false

If you get this result, you can go on, investigating, what perhaps goes wrong with the IDE and programming.  If that is not working, there seems something wrong with the driver-installation, with your USB-port, cable etc.
Look for deeper information here.

The SAM-BA mode, which is accessed by bossac, is the proprietary Atmel Boot-Loader, where a hardcoded program inside the SAM3X8E is running.  So that is a perfect reference, because there is no Arduino/Digistump/Own software layer involved.

As the SAM-BA mode is that mode, which is always used for programming, it makes perfect sense, to start with that mode investigating connection problems. The other modes are only additional layers, which help bringing the DigiX (or DUE) into the SAM-BA mode

dmorgan

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 04:28:03 pm »
The error in the IDE simply said no device found on COM5  (which was the comm showing in device manager)

gogol:

I tried that command and it said auto scan for device failed. So i ran out to get yet another micro usb cable, and got the text you showed below.

I am able to upload code now to the device. It still shows up as Bossa Program Port. After hitting erase or plugging it back in the comm port shows up as 6 or 7.

Thanks guys

gogol

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 12:13:29 am »
I am able to upload code now to the device. It still shows up as Bossa Program Port. After hitting erase or plugging it back in the comm port shows up as 6 or 7.
Read this article in the Wiki, to understand the identity change of the device

After pressing ERASE everything is deleted, flash and gpnvm-bits. The device is in native SAM-BA mode. Only in that mode the device can be programmed.
As it has in SAM-BA mode a different VID/PID than in Arduino-compatible mode, it has in that mode a different COM-port associated!

When you are now uploading a program usually the "-b" parameter is added to bossac, which sets the gpnvm-bit for booting the flash program. 
After the next reset (which should be triggered through the IDE as well, but goes not everytime through) the device boots the uploaded sketch.
This sketch (depending how it was created, e.g. which board-selection was choosen) initializes the USB with a own VID/PID combination. That combination gets another COM-Port name assigned from Windows!

So one and the same DigiX connected to one and the same USB port will appear at least with two if not more COM-Port names.
VID : PID
03EB:6124   Atmel: SAM-BA activated device
2341:003E   Arduino DUE native PORT selected, sketch is running
16d0:078a   DigiX board selected, sketch is running

When there are problems in the non SAM-BA modes, its always recommended to ERASE the chip, so it is in SAM-BA mode.
The upload-process in the Arduino/DigiX modes are doing nothing else: They trigger an software erase followed by an reset.  When that can't work, because the sketch hangs the cpu, upload stucks.
So pressing ERASE followed by RESET just eliminates that step and therefore one level of errors.

rabarker1

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 09:44:23 am »
I too have the same problem. I received mine late December I think and have been swamped at work, so last weekend when I went to power it up and give it a test ride, I cannot connect because the COM port doesn't show up. I thought it might be the cable and so I bought a new one, to no avail. I an using a netbook with Windows 7 starter to connect with. I have no problems with Arduino UNO connecting. Also connected ok with several DigiSpark units. Could I mail back to Digistump so they can check for operation, as I saw a post where there was a solder issue keeping the com port from showing up.

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 11:16:23 pm »
rabarker1 - please send us an email - support at digistump dot com