Author Topic: Chip sources?  (Read 15673 times)

dougal

Chip sources?
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:35:27 am »
I was thinking about ordering a few AVR chips. Maybe about 10 ATTiny85s, and a few others (ATTiny45, ATTiny4313, ATMega328, etc). I was going to order from Mouser.com, but they don't support PayPal, which is my preferred method (because I keep my "mad money" there).

What's a good place to order chips from that:
  • Has decent pricing
  • Accepts Paypal
  • Won't make me wait a month for overseas shipping

digistump

• Administrator
Re: Chip sources?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 02:11:31 pm »
Sparkfun as well - though they can be a bit pricey for parts.

You can also try Atmel samples to get some free ones.

dougal

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 06:24:35 am »
As a hobbyist with no plans to build a commercial product, it always feels a bit underhanded to ask for samples. I know people do it all the time. But I also know that the intent of free samples is to get them in the hands of businesses who will evaluate them for possible future large-volume orders. And I know I'm not going to do that. And then you get the inevitable follow-up sales call where they ask if you've evaluated the samples, and I feel like a jerk. :)

That's not to say I wouldn't take free parts, if somebody was giving them away for a promotion. I just don't like gaming the system under false pretenses.

I can afford to buy parts. I just want to pay a fair price, and hopefully not end up paying more for shipping than for the actual product. And I want somebody to make it easy to buy the parts. Jameco's web interface makes my brain bleed. I think I'll probably just bite the bullet and order from Mouser. (but I'm still open to suggestions for other sources)

dougal

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 07:07:10 am »
Okay, I just did a quick survey of some of the distributors listed from the Atmel site. For each one, I tried ordering qty 10 of ATTiny85-20PU.

Mouser.com: Good shopping experience. Chips $1.08 each. Cheapest shipping method $4.99. No PayPal
Arrow.com: Good shopping experience. Chips $1.00 each. Cheapest shipping method $8.99. Accepts PayPal
AVnet.com: Okay shopping experience. Chips $1.17 each. Cheapest shipping method $8.00. No PayPal
DigiKey.com: Yuck. Chips $1.29 each. Shipping unknown, because you can't proceed until you provide credit card info. Screw that noise.
RocElec.com: Very limited selection of Atmel chips. No ATTiny85.

So, I guess my best bet is to make orders from Mouser and Arrow, and if I can order enough stuff, at better prices, to make up some of the shipping cost differences, Arrow might get the edge.

MichaelMeissner

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 07:14:06 am »
I just ordered 10 ATtiny85's from this seller in Hawaii last night for $14 via paypal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190938100394?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649.  The site had been recommended to me by a poster on the arduino.cc forums.  There were other US sites based in Texas, California, and New York at different price points.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:19:00 am by MichaelMeissner »

DeuxVis

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:14:54 am »
Disclaimer :
I have not tried all those sellers so can't confirm on paypal possibility / fair prices, I don't leave near you so can't confirm on delivery speed.
I'm just providing possible solutions in case you didn't consider investigating those yet :

- radiospares (uh they changed their name) : http://www.alliedelec.com/integrated-circuits-ics-/microcontroller/
- farnell - although I'm pretty sure they don't take paypal and are quite expensive (oh they are called newark out there) : http://www.newark.com/microcontrollers-mcu
- conrad : http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/overview/0214041/Atmel-Microcontrollers forget it they don't ship to North America.

Also those guys seems to be in USA : http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?cPath=110_182&products_id=2332

dougal

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 07:58:27 am »
AlliedElec.com: Good shopping experience. Chips $2.86 each. Cheapest shipping method $5.54. No PayPal
Newark.com (element14): So-so shopping experience. Chips $1.08 each. Shipping unknown because they require credit card info first. Thppbt.
MicroControllerShop.com:  Good shopping experience. Chips $2.84 each. Cheapest shipping method $4.55. Accepts PayPal

I'll tell you -- a decent shopping cart / registration experience can really make-or-break a sale.

dougal

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 08:02:10 am »
@MichaelMeissner: thanks for pointing out that eBay seller. I figured I'd check on eBay at some point, but I was afraid I might only find good pricing from China-based sellers, and I wanted to find sources that could get parts to me in a week or less. Also, since I'm wanting to pick-and-choose multiple parts in varying quantities, eBay isn't usually the best platform for that.

MichaelMeissner

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 08:16:46 am »
Well in my case, I only needed 6 ATtiny85's (I'm doing Christmas ornaments with the Adafruit neopixel rings, but the cost of the rings becomes a budget buster when you are buying multiples), but I figured I would eventually use extras (or break the pins on at least one).

Lets see several digisparks, 1 dead trinket, 1 dead gemma, now 10 bare ATtiny85's, plus the Uno, several Teensy 3.0's, and a DigiX for good measure.  As I said, I am a microprocessor dilatant.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:18:54 am by MichaelMeissner »

dougal

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 10:50:02 am »
I know what you mean. I think I've got about 8 Digisparks so far. DigiX Beta (level shifter to come). CoAction Hero (ARM-based). A SparkCore coming soon. 10 meters of 12V analog LED strips, 2-3 meters of WS2812 LED strips, 100 bare WS2812 modules, 2 NeoPixel rings, 1 NeoPixel stick, several power supplies that I've either purchased or scavenged, a new soldering station, 5V and 3.3V boost circuits, accelerometers, temp/humidity, PIRs, sonic rangers, a doppler distance/speed sensor, IR xmit/rcv, NRF2401s, Bluetooth transceivers, etc...

The Digispark Kickstarter was my first experience with Arduino. And the first time I'd touched electronics tinkering in about 30 years. And within a couple of months, I had spent several hundred dollars on eBay, etc. :)

digistump

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 11:04:04 am »
@dougal - re: samples - if you look at some companies they specifically allow for samples for education/students/ even hobbies sometimes. I rarely get samples, because I always have a DigiKey or Mouser order going in (why Digikey/Mouser, see below) - but even when I hadn't made more than 1 of anything ever, I took the honest approach on the follow up email/call (more often email these days) - I'm making this thing, if it is a success I hope to sell it - some of the chip companies I use are used because they responded well to that. TI and Maxim come to mind as having very liberal sample policies to support development with their chips in all realms.

I thought it might be interesting to post my list, similar to dougal's, of chip supplier experiences:

Mouser.com: Good shopping experience. Medium selection. One of the cheapest. Fast shipping. Never had any mistakes. Over $50k ordered.

Arrow.com: OK shopping experience. Small selection. No bulk pricing, sometimes no price at all until you make an account. Medium pricing. Slow to ship. About $5k ordered.

AVnet.com: OK site. Big selection. Medium to low price. Good fast cheap shipping. About $25k ordered.

DigiKey.com: Something about their site make me so annoyed, but that is because I use it so much. THis is the site I am most likely to use to explore parts for a given application. Mouser's site is better for this, but their selection is limited compared to Digikey. Best selection, one of the cheapest if you order in 10+ Qty. Lots of shipping options, including first class for like $4. Super SUPER fast shipping - like order at midnight on Sunday and it ships at 3am and gets to me by Tuesday for $6 priority postage. Small orders tend to have mistakes more frequently than other sites, but they are quick to resolve. They are my go to 1) for selection, 2) for price, 3) because they take getting it to you fast, VERY seriously. I don't want to know how much I spent here - probably about $150k

Newark.com (element14): Difficult to use site (sometimes the same search comes up empty, and then doesn't). The most horrible experiences with customer service - delays for credit card verification that are then forgotten, tax added on tax exempt orders (2 months for a refund), rude customer service, things backordered when you get the order that weren't when you paid, management does not respond to anything, even issues that cause the cancellation of $10k orders. Slow to ship, but cheap 2 day shipping. About $25k ordered.

futureelectronics.com - OK site, Good prices, small selection, good shipping. ~$5k ordered

Verical.com - A "market place" - slow order process, bad customer serivce, $15 order fee, sometimes great prices - HORRIBLE FLASH SITE! - about $5k ordered

That's all I can think of for now

gogol

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 11:23:51 am »
That list is in german (google translate may help)

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Elektronikversender

The big international resellers are all in this list!

uktivo

• 27+ Electronic Components Sourcing know how
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 12:03:58 am »
Hi All,

I've been a "lurker" for a little while but decided to break my duck on this thread and sign up. (only beacause I have a lot of knowledge about the subject, unlike the rest of the subjects i've read).. lol

I can confirm with my 27 years of service within the Electronic Component distribution industry, that the lists above are probably your best sources (and accurate as well) for a wide stocked range, with easy shipping and payment methods, not just in the UK, but globally.

There are specilist distributors that do offer exceptional service and pricing, but this is mainly on volume, back to back orders. Volume being 1k plus units a time.

Whilst i'm typing.. congratulations to Eric nd team on such an innovative product..